Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Postell 535 gr. bullet

Postell 535 gr. bullet

Hello,
    I am new to single shot rifles and casting bullets for them. I have a Sharps Shiloh 45-70 and would like to cast a 535gr. Postell type bullet. Would anyone be able to give me a mold number for this bullet and recommend a mold that has worked for them.
    Thank you!

Boolit Master
    I’m casting the Lyman 457132 postell for my Shiloh 45-110. Runs great.

Boolit Grand Master

I have and shoot the lymann 535 mould it is a good shooting bullet. It seems to carry enough lube for my 34" barrel when using black powder ( SPG lube)

I converted my mould to nose pour. It seems to shoot a little better than before and I get much sharper bases. but in original form it was still a good shooter. Mine are cast from 20-1 lead / tin. You will want a 10 lb pot or even bigger as 535 plus sprue empty a smaller pot fast. I also ladle pour these.

My rifle is a Pedersoli Sharps long range with half round 34" barrel 1-18 twist.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EOChief66 View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to single shot rifles and casting bullets for them. I have a Sharps Shiloh 45-70 and would like to cast a 535gr. Postell type bullet. Would anyone be able to give me a mold number for this bullet and recommend a mold that has worked for them.
    Thank you!
    I tried the Lyman 457132 Postell bullet in my Pedersoli Sharps 45-70. The Lyman mold cast a 1/20 tin lead bullet at a band diameter of 0.458 and a nose diameter of 0.449. A fired case from my Pedersoli will accept a bullet sized to 0.461. So the accuracy was problematic at best.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman Mold 457132 Sketch.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	292508

Some time ago I asked All Nelson at NOE Bullet molds to make a copy of the Lyman Postell with an as-cast diameter of 0.461" on the bands and a nose diameter at 0.451".This made a dramatic difference in ease of reloading and of accuracy.

NOE also offers the same mold with an as-cast diameter of 0.458 and a nose diameter of 0.449. However, I see that NOE is presently sold out in that item.

Your Shilo Sharps may have a tighter chamber neck size so a chamber cast or impact impression of you chamber would be in order to determine what size of mold to use

Hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Thanks to all that responded with information and links. As with everything else bullets and molds are out of stock right now. But I do have all winter to keep checking on them!

Boolit Grand Master

Check with OLD west moulds in futuria. He may have something. I have His 550 grn silhouette its lo very good performer, They do have web site. My last brass mould was 3 weeks from phone order to my door. Another to talk to is steeve brooks at brooks moulds,

Boolit Master
    Yup. Lyman 535 Postell. Works fine in my Pedersoli Sharps. Keep in mind these are bore riding bullets and half of the bullet will set in the bore - not the chamber. You will NEED to know the bore size before ordering a custom mold or one whose bullet nose is too large to rest in the bore with the alloy cast and fouling present. Propellant type will be critical to nose diameter. BP leaves more fouling than smokeless. Lyman knows this. Or should I say "Lyman nose this?"
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 12-03-2021 at 09:42 PM.

Boolit Master

N.O.E does have the 461-450-RN mold in stock in both 3 cavity and 4 cavity offerings.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master

Accurate Molds cuts them to order and is possibly a faster option in this current time of shortages. Tom has a number of molds in his catalog from 530 to 550 grains that are probably reasonable substitutes for the Postell - or you could just ask him to clone the Postell with your preferred diameters.

His equipment does not allow him to make a true round nose, but he can get the meplat down to 0.18". Shouldn't make any difference to a bullet that is typically launched subsonic anyway.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Chief, you might try the Lee 459-500-3R. I've had pretty good luck with it when sized to .459

Attachment 292617
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson