Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: 444 Marlin Doe

444 Marlin Doe

Took this young gal a few weeks ago on Texas Public land. Accurate 43-300FG with some design changes to allow it to function in my 1999 444P. Alloy is a tin heavy 15bhn lubed with NRA 50/50 and a sage gator check, shoved by Accurate 5744 at a paltry, and shoulder friendly 1900fps in starline brass, lit off by a CCI LR primer. I had missed a nice buck and a doe the morning before with one of my flintlocks (turned out to be some major sight issues going on that I was not aware of at the time), so I decided to finish the week out with this thing to take pressure off. I saw her the evening before but couldn't get a shot. Finally she gave me a shot the next evening and as soon as I confirmed she was a legal deer I picked out a ruffled patch of fur and let it fly. She dropped to the ground when the bullet hit that ruffled patch of fur, got up, and made it another 20 yards. Wasn't much blood trail to speak of at first, and to top it off she fell into a deep ditch and I almost didn't find her. By the time I got her out of the woods it was dark and I finally saw the bloodtrail with my headlamp, and there was no shortage.

Thankful for this deer, good collectible Marlins, and cast bullets on tough Texas public land.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6033.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	292488

And a picture with the USFS antlerless permit attached in case we have any junior game wardens.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6034.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	292491

Congrats!

Boolit Master

Well done
    Thank you for sharing
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Congratulations !
    For sure a 44 300 grainer at 1900 fps will knock corn crunchers down !
    I would near cry missing with our hunting rock locks. But for sure a sight can get bumped.
    I heard back some years by an older flint hunter that once the hunting load was set to put a witness mark on the sights and check them every time the rifle is uncased or goes out the door.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning and Congratulations !
    For sure a 44 300 grainer at 1900 fps will knock corn crunchers down !
    I would near cry missing with our hunting rock locks. But for sure a sight can get bumped.
    I heard back some years by an older flint hunter that once the hunting load was set to put a witness mark on the sights and check them every time the rifle is uncased or goes out the door.
    I call it a sight issue, but it was more a barrel harmonics issue. POI moved up 10" when shot in a field type position vs on the bench with a rest and rear bag. It hurt, but it is what it is.

Boolit Master
    Way to get it done, nice eating size doe, and a great looking rifle to boot. Thanks for sharing.