Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Has anyone ever had any luck with a Lee aluminum mold?

Boolit Master
    I have gotten hundreds of good boolits from Aluminum molds. I just ordered a Lee 459-405 HB for a 4570 rifle. Judging by the numbers of serious shooters who swear by this boolit I have no worries. I will wash it off with a tooth brush, dish soap and hot water like I always do. Preheat it on the glass top stove and start casting.

Banned

I use Lee molds almost exclusively and haven't had any of those problems listed in the list from The High Road, and I am a member on The High Road.
    When I take my Lee molds out of the box I clean them well with brake parts cleaner. Some I can use clean after that others I had to smoke. But they all drop good bullets either way. I have had frosted bullets, and they all were correct diameter, and I have never found any oval bullets. I used to pre-heat mine by dipping a corner, but only for a few minutes, now I pre-heat by casting to get them up to temp, then I start saving them. The bullets I get while pre-heating I set aside and add them back at the end of the session when I unplug the mold. I haven't had any get oxidized but I also store mine inside the house so humidity isn't a problem. I have one Lyman mold as Lee didn't have the bullet weight I needed in my caliber and it takes a bit longer to pre-heat.
    When I lube my Lee's I use the instructions, I use beeswax to lube the mold pins and the sprue hinge bolt without getting any in the mold cavities. I have had molds, I got good pills from on the last session, give me wrinkles. I let them cool, cleaned well and smoked if needed, and started casting again with no wrinkles. Most times I cast two pills in the same session letting one cool while casting with the other.
    Just my $.02.

Boolit Master

I have 6 Lee molds and they all cast fine. 1 hole and 2 hole molds start getting frosted round balls pretty quick but size is the same. Frosted bullets cover with Hi-Tek real nice. 6 Hole molds generally start casting keepers after 4 fills after setting on top of the pot as it heats up. They are not as good a quality as Noe, Accurate, or MP but they are way cheaper and produce good bullets.

Boolit Master
    I have a 180 gr. gas checked Lee mold that I use for my Ruger American compact in .308. MOA boolit!

Boolit Master
    These are some 405 gr. hollow base boolits from my first go with a Lee mold. Just sprayed it off with Gunscruber, preheated and casted. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211208_095344.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	292824

Boolit Man
    I just casted in a new lee mold last night, the first 30 or so bullets were wrinkled, then they started to shape up and cast nicely from there on out. I did get a little excessive with the beeswax sprue lube and some got around the cavities but that seems to smoke off and I kept casting...well, I had to keep casting, the lee pot was dripping so badly it was splattering if I didnt keep knocking the drip stalagmite over and putting the mold under the leaky spout. Guess I'm gonna valve grind the spout seat...again this week.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234