WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Jerry Barnett Molds

Jerry Barnett Molds

I just bought one. What can you guys tell me about Jerry Barnett and his molds?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
    I just bought one. What can you guys tell me about Jerry Barnett and his molds?
    Nothing at all... Wanna sell it?

Seriously, he had the reputation of making some of the best moulds out there for the schuetzen game. Unfortunately he passed away several years ago. I don't know what other type(s) of moulds he may have made, but those are still highly sought after amongst my circle. I have a 200 gr mould he made for .32-40 and the modern short .32s (like the one that I use for my bench gun in .32-357 Dell) and I would be hard put to find anything better. JMHO, YMMV.

Froggie

Boolit Bub
    Jerry was a friend of mine and I used to watch him make those molds in his basement workshop years ago. I dont know what the molds are worth these days but I do know he had shipped them all over the world.

Boolit Grand Master
    Big Country, how about a little more info about his operation? Did he just make rifle moulds (the only ones I have seen) or did he also make pistol bullet moulds? Were all of his moulds single cavity base pour, or were there also some multi-cavity or nose pour moulds?

Unfortunately I got active in schuetzen on a national basis right about the time of his passing and never got to meet him or find out much about what he made. I have to say, though, that my one second hand Jerry Barnett mould is one of my most treasured moulds for schuetzen.

Regards,
    Charlie Shaeff
    the Green Frog

Boolit Bub
    Im not sure on the pistol moulds. When I got to know Jerry I was tinkering around with some handguns and didnt pay much attention to the long guns. Jerry and his wife would have my wife and me over for lunch on weekends and he would help me with my little projects. At the time I didnt know how big a name he had made for himself in the sport. I did go and watch him and his wife shoot down around Wichita several times. I still meet his brother for coffee one or two times a week.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Jerry was a friend of mine and I used to watch him make those molds in his basement workshop years ago. I dont know what the molds are worth these days but I do know he had shipped them all over the world.
    Do you know how he sharpened the cherries? Did he harden them in the shop?
    Inquiring minds would like to know! LOL

Boolit Bub
    Im not going to be much help on those questions. I wish I had payed more attention back then. I did see some of the nose profile bits that he had ground but like I said I didnt pay much attention. I always thought Jerry would be around for years and back then I was more worried about my six guns. Back then it always amazed me that he could chuck some blocks in a lathe, bore a hole in the center and end up with a bullet mold. As far as I know, Jerry always made the molds in the basement of his house. He had a nice lathe, mill and drill press along with a few other tools set up down there. Jerry had some nice guns at the time but my favorite was an old 1911 that he had made into a long slide back when you had to weld up the barrel and slide. Jerry always told me that I was living in the good times as you could now order any part you need.

Boolit Master at heavens range
    Jerry used no cherries, He made cutters from hi speed steel. He very good at hand grinding his own cutting tools, I have 32 , 28& 25 cal. molds yet from 25 years ago. They were a nose pour mold. He was a great fellow,

Here's a pic. It drops a 0.323" bullet at 195 grs - a great 32-40 mold. A nose pour plain base with an unusual mold design.

Last edited by Andy_P; 04-24-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    There's nothing at all strange about that mould... it looks like a good one! And all kidding aside, if it doesn't suit your needs, I would definitely be interested in first dibs should you decide to sell it.

Froggie

I'm getting lots of interest in this. What do you guys figure it's worth? I bet it would fetch a handsome sum on eBay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barnett_Mold.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	293098

Boolit Grand Master
    So, after a decade, have you decided you want to sell it? If yes, how much, and what size bullet (diameter and weight) does it actually drop? I’m sure some Schuetzen enthusiast would love to have it, maybe even me.

Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"