Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wax or Rubber Bullets

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Wax or Rubber Bullets

Anyone shoot wax or rubber bullets out of 308 30-06 .223 303 8mm

I have shot 38 or 357 rubber out of a 20" 1873 win small PP
    You have to load then 1 at a time but it works

I sure it would work in a 45-70, 38-55 but you might have to use a shotgun primer

So I was thinking what about a bolt rifle say your old k98 or 1903a1 or what ever

You would need to use wax unless you can find 30 cal rubber

Any Ideas
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

You could use glueletts. Do a search here and you will find something about glueletts made from a hot glue gun using bullet moulds. The are fired from oistols using just a primer. I never heard of someone using a rifle but it sounds interesting.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Jim uses gluelits in his 1895 guide gun. Says he uses round ball because it has less bearing surface.

Interesting stuff.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Buddy
    When I get a new mold, I'll cast one out of wax just to have one to handle.

Never tried shooting them though, don't know if they would make it out of the barrel on a rifle, or just coat the bore with wax.
    I aim to misbehave.

Mostly Harmless.

Why shoot fake boolits?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Why shoot fake boolits?
    They are not fake they are REAL and thats how you should treat them

They are cheap and quiet.

They are just different just like a cat's sneeze load is different

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Why shoot fake boolits?
    because sometimes, the neighbors get nervous when you touch off full blown 300 mag rounds, and their house is only 140 feet from yours!

Boolit Grand Master
    The price and availability of primers would put a damper on this for me.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    The price and availability of primers would put a damper on this for me.

Shiloh
    Yes at first I thought this same thing

But what I am thinking is in a survival situation you dont need 308 to take a rabbit and its way to loud
    I think a cat's sneeze load or Gallery load will do the trick on this. They did these in the 1920 and Great Depression with military surplus rifles

So how low can you go with as little componets as possible and still work and take small game.

Also to practice is the winter and not freak out the neighbors
    Last edited by DCP; 01-25-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Buddy
    with wax and a 209 primer it will punch through two layers of cardboard accross my garage.. it will probably put an eye out. I have shot a few rats with it also. beyond 30ft it drops off pretty fast tho. what I use to catch them is a cardboard box with canvas hanging loosely from the top. [like a curtain]. they drop into the bottom for remelting. DR.

I don't have to worry about that......

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    with wax and a 209 primer it will punch through two layers of cardboard accross my garage.. it will probably put an eye out. I have shot a few rats with it also. beyond 30ft it drops off pretty fast tho. what I use to catch them is a cardboard box with canvas hanging loosely from the top. [like a curtain]. they drop into the bottom for remelting. DR.
    So what caliber

Handgun or rifle

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dcp View Post
    So what caliber, Handgun or rifle?
    Doesn't matter. There's a gluelit and lubing method for anything you want. PM me with your questions and I'll be glad to help you out.
    I've shot gluelits in .357, .45 Colt, .308, .30-06, .303, 8MM and .45-70. They can be loaded as soft as just enough to get them out the barrel or hot enough to penetrate a 1 gal. food can. I even developed a loading method for straight wall calibers that will push a gluelit so fast, it can't be tracked with the human eye. If you don't think that won't put a feral cat or stray dog in high gear, think again!

Jim
    Head of R&D
    NAGS
    National Association of Gluelit Shooters

Boolit Grand Master

IN 308 the Germans use to make a factory plastic bullet practice round that hade a perforation around the base of the bullet and a brass primer unit that was pressed into ther base of the case. In the 70's I got a bunch that were sent back to the US Army for testing. I used wax in a 30-40 but the 308 has a lot shorter neck so I don't know how the short bullet would do there and I would be tempted to try glue lits first. I think that RED JET made some plastic bullets in 30 but I haven't seen them for years.

As to being lethal, in th e70's we did a lot of practice with Speer 38's and these were strictly priomer powered. I was home one night for break about 3 AM and was loading up a bunch when i saw the cat jump on the table and start to eat MY DONUT! I grabbed the K38 and snapped on off at the cat to teach him a lesson. The bullet entered in theback ot the left ear and killed th cat dead as a turd right on the spot. Whoa, I just killed my wifes cat, what to do...

I ran outside and put the cat under the back tire of my brother in Laws car. When I came home at 7 the BIL was there and consoling my wife because he RAN OVER her cat. He even offered to buy her another one and I thought that was dam'n nice of him, all things considered.

Bottom line, nearly silent and good for game up to cat size.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I was home one night for break about 3 AM and was loading up a bunch when i saw the cat jump on the table and start to eat MY DONUT! I grabbed the K38 and snapped on off at the cat to teach him a lesson. The bullet entered in theback ot the left ear and killed th cat dead as a turd right on the spot. Whoa, I just killed my wifes cat, what to do...

I ran outside and put the cat under the back tire of my brother in Laws car. When I came home at 7 the BIL was there and consoling my wife because he RAN OVER her cat. He even offered to buy her another one and I thought that was dam'n nice of him, all things considered.
    ROFLMAO!

That's a good one!
    I aim to misbehave.

Mostly Harmless.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

That was quick thinking. It makes a great story too.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    For shi-giggles, I've shot maybe one wax boolit out of a 30-06. I cast it by melting parafin in a cut open coke can over the stove, then pouring directly into the mold. Shot steel with it and it disappeared. Fun if you have extra primers and time on your hands.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Master

.38 wax boolits

When I got my .38 snub I let my 12 yr old son have some target practice on the back porch.

I drilled out the primer hole on a dozen cases so the primers wouldn't back out when fired. These cases were marked permanently so as not to mix with un-modified cases.

I bought a box of Gulf Wax (sheets) and heated one just enough to punch out wax boolits with the cases. Pushed the boolit to the bottom of the case, and installed the primer.

They shot low, but were very fast, pretty loud, and didn't group too bad at about 20 feet. Of course, I couldn't help but think of the primers that were being used...

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

Wasting primers?

Yeah, I suppose you could look at it like that. The way I see it, primers are running me about 3.5 cents a pop. Personally, I think that's a small price to pay to be able to shoot in my basement when it's raining, when my wife wants to shoot her model 19, or just to have some fun. Hey, ya' gotta burn the primers anyway if you're gonna load 'em with boolits, right? If I wanna shoot gluelits or boolits, I gotta burn primers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dcp View Post
    So what caliber

Handgun or rifle

Ive shot them in 45 cal marlin 94 and most of the revolver cals. it also works from 22lr rifles. for the 22 I pulled the bulits and slid short pieces of birthday candles into the empty cases. just primer powered it will take a pigen out of the barn rafters without damaging the roof. DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast