RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shooters Choice Lead Remover: Question

Boolit Master

Shooters Choice Lead Remover: Question

I have an 1895 Marlin in 45-70 that has been giving me fits accuracy-wise. Or lack of accuracy. I recently received the custom Accurate mold to cast .461" boolits that I hope will fix the problem with the .4595" groove diameter of the micro-groove barrel.

To make sure the barrel is absolutely clean, I've been treating it sporadically for several weeks with Shooter Choice Lead Remover and a brass brush. Patches continue to come out with a strong grayish discoloration that I have been assuming (dangerous word) is lead residue.

Is this lead or am I somehow getting a false positive? I have tried to keep the brush clean.

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Buddy
    I would try a mechanical removal, like brass wool, Lewis Lead Remover, abrasives, etc. Then see if the the solvent works. A tight fitting patch moved slowly should give an idea if the bore has some buildup somewhere.

The Wipe Out, No-Lead cleaner will show a clean patch when all the lead is out. It is necessary to use either Patch-Out or Wipe-Out in between the applications of No-Lead.

Shooter Choice Lead Remover may be a lot different? Have not used it. Mechanical removal , as said above may be needed? I would stop cleaning. Start casting & shooting. Target will tell if barrel is clean.

Over cleaning can do more harm then good. I hope your new mold requires a gas check? Helps the bullet get a grip on the micro- groove rifling.

"I hope your new mold requires a gas check? Helps the bullet get a grip on the micro- groove rifling." ....243winxb

That's not really so, 243winxb. Bullet fit and proper CB hardness, given the load/pressure/velocity are more important for micro-groove rifling. Btw, I shoot a Marlin .45-70 with mg rifling and have never used a GC bullet in it and get no bore leading whatsoever. Take a look at the 10-shot target below (LBT PB bullet) as an example of this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img428 copy.jpg  

Mercury is cold amalgamated with many metals: lead, gold, silver, copper, .... That is, an alloy is formed. For lead it is ideal, but since it is also amalgamated with copper, well that.
    Last edited by JLF; 12-02-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Boolit Master
    I'll look for other lead removers. I understand about over-cleaning, but I want to make sure that accuracy is not being pooched by a leaded bore.

The mold, btw, casts a plain base boolit of a nominal 325 grains. I haven't fired up the RCBS lead pot yet.

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Copper pot scrubbers around a plastic brush caliber size. Put that cleaner on it and go to town. After you shoot once the barrel will start collecting residue and some lead but not much if the boolits are correct alloy and sized right. If that copper pot scrubber is pulling out chards of lead you need to start investigating what’s going on. If it was previously owned gun clean it, shoot it and see if it happens with your best practices. If not you should be good to go.

Boolit Master
    When I have a badly mistreated barrel I rotate through cleaning solvents. It seems that there is a layer or copper, a layer or lead, a layer of carbon, etc. Foe mechanical cleaning, copper choreboy or frontier 45 wrapped around a nylon brush.

Boolit Master
    I have used Borteck Eliminator with great results on copper and lead deposits. All I ever use now. Just use a nylon brush, will eat a bronze brush in minutes. Will not hurt the bore.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    After you get the lead out, consider powder coating. I haven’t had any leading problems since I started using it. I even shoot plain lead boolits sometimes. Maybe all the PCed boolits I shoot helps to keep the bore clean too.