WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unable to get any wheel weights

Picked up a bag of wheelweights today on the ground outside the tire place while I was having my tires replaced. Had a bad blowout Sunday and they were getting thin anyway. Haven’t looked at them to see what is actually lead vs zinc. Jumped out of my car Saturday to grab a weight off the divider. Nobody was behind me. Used to drive my wife crazy when I would do that.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Picked up a bag of wheelweights today on the ground outside the tire place while I was having my tires replaced. Had a bad blowout Sunday and they were getting thin anyway. Haven’t looked at them to see what is actually lead vs zinc. Jumped out of my car Saturday to grab a weight off the divider. Nobody was behind me. Used to drive my wife crazy when I would do that.
    Me and a buddy have made a game out of doing this. I have a magnet on a stick and I reach quite a few out of the window. Some years we come up with close to 5 gallons.

Still have a 55 gallon drum of COWW sitting behind my shed ��

Well back 20 plus years ago, I took brass and aluminum to the metal dealer. After the pay off I asked if he had any lead for sale, but no I do not sell, but I will give you free indoor range lead if you haul. He said his buyers would not take it as it had copper and brass sweep up shells that did not fire in the mix. Well they loaded 3 55 gallon drums in my trailer, and off to home I went. That was a lot of work to melt down, but a great score, and some was sold on evil bay and sent south as far as Florida. Them USPS flat rate boxes are great!

Boolit Master

HA! A box of lead ingots from Alaska to Florida! Says something about those boxes if they arrived in good shape.

Boolit Grand Master

I see the day coming when the "Save the Earth" bunch will have good old fashioned clip-on wheel weights "outlawed" . For 50 years I had a free unlimited supply (he retired from his tire business) .
    So I remembered that Elmer Keith used only tin / lead alloy to cast his boolits with ...
    His 1936 book " Sixcun Cartridges & Loads " contained a chapter on casting and lead alloy , in which he wrote to use the following tin and lead ratios :

1/20 - For most revolver , light and normal pressure loads , hollow points and solid point , up to a velocity of 1,000 fps. ( chart shows a bhn of about 10)

1/16 - For high pressure and magnum loads , hollow point and solid point , with velocities over 1,000 fps ( chart shows a bhn of about 11).

1 / 10 - Auto pistol and rifle bullets ( chart shows a bhn about 11.5)

Old clip on wheel weights had a bhn of 9 , not sure if this is still true but ...
    1/25 alloy mix will have a bhn of 9 .
    I have found a 50/50 mix of COWW and Soft Lead works well for handguns , revolver and auto , and 30-30 rifle .
    It seems to work better than straight COWW ...this has a bhn of 8 . I use this alloy with 9mm Luger boolits but you do have to load them with care and expand the neck properly .

I used to believe that HARD boolits were better ... It Ain't So !
    bhn's in the 8, 9 and 10 range are plenty hard ... Size beats hardness Seven Ways to Sunday .
    As long as I can get tin and lead ... I can make it work .

Louisiana hasn't outlawed wheel weights and a small scrap yard dealer or small privately owned tire business will still sell them to you , cash money and cold beer go a long way to making friends in these places .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-09-2022 at 07:21 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Well I learned to put a box in a box, and to glue and tape them three ways. Most people complained about how hard it was to open, but never was one bar lost.

Ebay has a lot of vendors selling lead wheel weights.

Jim

Moderator Emeritus

In my area there are several junk yards, with -- I'd wager -- pretty close to one thousand, total vehicles -- most smashed, but also on wheels. I just had the "brain-storm" of, "what's the chances of being turned down by going to one of these with a pair of pliers, screwdriver, and a plastic bucket -- to remove the wheelweights oneself?"
    Just, again, a thought... has anyone tried this with any success?
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    In my area there are several junk yards, with -- I'd wager -- pretty close to one thousand, total vehicles -- most smashed, but also on wheels. I just had the "brain-storm" of, "what's the chances of being turned down by going to one of these with a pair of pliers, screwdriver, and a plastic bucket -- to remove the wheelweights oneself?"
    Just, again, a thought... has anyone tried this with any success?
    geo
    This is a great idea! I might do this!

I work on electric industrial fork lifts for a living. I asked one of our industrial battery suppliers about buying scrap lead intercell connectors after explaining what I wanted them for. He gave me about 80 lbs. worth with the understanding that he wanted 100 bullets in exchange.

The lead scratched about the hardness of COWW.

Boolit Grand Master
    Is the Captain still selling it here?
    check vendor sponsors
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    In my area there are several junk yards..."what's the chances of being turned down by going to one of these with a pair of pliers, screwdriver, and a plastic bucket -- to remove the wheelweights oneself?"
    I recall reading a story, probably on CanadianGunNutz.com, of someone trying this. They got up to the counter with a bucketful and were told that it was yard policy that minimum charge for a part was $2, and they considered every single wheelweight to be a separate part! He left the bucket in the shop.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BattleRife View Post
    I recall reading a story, probably on CanadianGunNutz.com, of someone trying this. They got up to the counter with a bucketful and were told that it was yard policy that minimum charge for a part was $2, and they considered every single wheelweight to be a separate part! He left the bucket in the shop.
    One of my best friends (now deceased) regularly used to profess that even the most well kept, beautiful lawn and/or garden in the world will STILL have a weed or two in it... Perhaps the yard owner had "attitude" or, even perhaps the potential buyer. In my years I've learned that if I speak TO and WITH people, and generally preface something like this with something in the lines of, "Hey -- what would your charges be for wheel-weights if I went out and harvested them from wheels on units in the yard... I mean, hey, I'll gladly pay the going salvage rate by the pound/kg.?" Such sets the stage, so to speak... Another real plus would be the (most of thie time ) steel and zinc weights could be left in the yard -- this, alone, being a savings.
    In Ontario, Ca., rules went into effect in 2020 prohibiting lead weights, I believe. ( https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...eight%20stocks.)
    I do not know the rules in B.C. -- have they, too, banned this highly deadly and toxic to any/all within ten meters of it stuff?

Boolit Master
    I had found a pliers/hammer tool for ww installation in a bucket of ww's and decided to give it a try in a salvage yard. It was really SLOW. An hour barely netted a quarter bucket of weights.

One of my best friends (now deceased) regularly used to profess that even the most well kept, beautiful lawn and/or garden in the world will STILL have a weed or two in it... Perhaps the yard owner had "attitude" or, even perhaps the potential buyer. In my years I've learned that if I speak TO and WITH people, and generally preface something like this with something in the lines of, "Hey -- what would your charges be for wheel-weights if I went out and harvested them from wheels on units in the yard... I mean, hey, I'll gladly pay the going salvage rate by the pound/kg.?" Such sets the stage, so to speak... Another real plus would be the (most of thie time ) steel and zinc weights could be left in the yard -- this, alone, being a savings.
    In Ontario, Ca., rules went into effect in 2020 prohibiting lead weights, I believe. ( https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...eight%20stocks.)
    I do not know the rules in B.C. -- have they, too, banned this highly deadly and toxic to any/all within ten meters of it stuff?
    So, not good at reading/understanding political gobbelty-goop. What I get is that the legislation never became law, and they are trying again.

https://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2021/.../reg2-eng.html

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    What I get is that the legislation never became law, and they are trying again.
    I don't get that out of the link you posted, what I see that is that regulations were filed July 3, 2021, and take effect 1 year later.

So as of July 3, 2022, it will be illegal to manufacture or import lead wheel weights in Canada.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Boolit Buddy
    Find someone in another State that has wheel weight lead. I traded a fellow brass for lead. With USPS Priority boxes, the shipping cost was worth it to me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123