Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: AutoComp Powder in 9 mm not performing

Boolit Buddy

AutoComp Powder in 9 mm not performing

I have a lot of AutoComp powder and while it works well in my 1911 45's, even the max load is not reliably cycling my 9mm Sig P226. I'm suffering multiple FTF's per magazine with the slide rarely locking back for an empty mag. The P226 has always been reliable with all other ammunition, both factory and reloads, and older reloads with Winchester 231 and Bullseye are performing perfectly. All three powders are pushing 115 gr FMJ's as I don't shoot much 9 mm and my casting boolits are all for 45 Auto and 38 Special wadcutters for my 1911's.

Any thoughts as I'd really like to use AutoComp for my 9mm plinking loads and save my Bullseye for 38 Special wadcutters.

Thanks in advance, sierra1911

Boolit Buddy
    The hodgdon.com online reloading data specifies 5.1 gr as a starting load and 5.6 gr as the max load. My first attempt was with a load in the middle, 5.4 gr, and when it didn't perform, I increased to 5.6 gr. The bullets are from a bulk box of 115 gr FMJ's, I'm guessing they're Remington.

Thanks again, sierra1911

Boolit Buddy
    More info from responses to another member's PM's:
    FTF is not picking up a round - slide halfway up on next round in mag indicating to me that it didn't catch the back edge/head of the cartridge. Same OAL and bullets as are functioning find with loads halfway between starting and max load with W231 (per the Hodgdon online data) and same halfway with Bullseye (based on my 1990's Sierra Handgun Manual). Gun was stripped and cleaned before firing 30 of each AutoComp load. I can definitely cause the gun to do the same FTF on almost every round by intentionally limp wristing even a little. Locking up both my wrists and elbows with a two-handed death grip didn't stop the problems.

My P226 has always been super reliable, devouring everything I've fed it until now.

Boolit Master
    Bullseye is #13 on the Hodgdon burn rate chart. Auto Comp is #43 on that list. Quite a bit slower for a pistol powder and perhaps your light bullet just is not getting an efficient burn, so the pressures are not where they should be to fully cycle the slide. Any extra soot on the exterior of the cases or unburned powder residue? I think your gun is telling you, the powder is not right for the bullet weight. Since the bullets are perhaps seconds, it would be prudent to verify the weight and the diameter to be sure that part is correct too.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I'm using 4.3 grains with 124 grain cast powder coated hollow points at 1.09" and having good results.
    Last edited by 358429; 12-01-2021 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Did not see the other postings

They should work: check the powder scale.

I run 4.7 AutoComp with a 125 conical moly coated bullet=1100 FPS in a Glock 17 with a compensator.

Edit: I have used my load in a Sig P226 with good results, but have never chronographed it. I do know that of all my 9mms, my Sig is the most likely to run on anything, but also will give the slowest velocity for a given load.
    Last edited by 1006; 12-01-2021 at 08:24 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My experience has been that AutoComp needs a bullet heavy for the caliber. Works great for me with 90 - grain bullet in .32 ACP and 147-grain in 9mm and 250-grain in .45 ACP. For lighter bullets Bullseye, TiteGroup or WST are the powders of choice.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve used few lbs in 9mm but I was using heavier 147 PC bullets; performed great through everything: beretta carbine, CZ, XDM.

Boolit Master
    Accurate #7

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to all for your help. I did load 50 more yesterday afternoon, shortening the OAL a bit to 1.090. This made enough difference that the P226 is feeding them and locks the slide back on empty mags most of the time. Good enough for plinking rounds, but I'll label them as 'PCC only' as my PCC eats everything and I'd like to avoid using my other powders for 9 mm.

An LGS has a few pounds of W231 and though it'll likely be $60 - $70 per pound out the door, I'll probably pick up a pound to load fully reliable rounds for the P226 and load the rest with the AutoComp primarily for the PCC.

I've always seen AutoComp marketed on the Winchester/Hodgdon website as producing extra gas for compensator's; I don't remember the words 'for competition race guns' when I originally purchased it.

Thanks again, sierra1911