RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data

Thread: WW2 black rubber butt plate.

Boolit Master

WW2 black rubber butt plate.

I have a ww2 black rubber butt plate that is about 1 inch deep that is a slip on with a flaming bomb- US, and a #, on it. I was told that it was for an -03-SPRINGFIELD, 30/06. my question is how do I slip it on. it has a lip on either side, of the inside. do I pull them up / out and slip / ride it over the stock? looks like if I did that they would look HOOKEY. if I pushed it on they would push inside against the stock?. I want to install it for purpose of display, not to shoot it with it on. any and all would be appreaciated. thanking you toot.

Boolit Master
    Those pads were for rifles fitted with grenade launchers and just went on like a modern slip on recoil pad. Most troops just tossed them cause it was one more thing to carry or they only took the launchers and left the pad and sight set behind.

Boolit Master
    1Hawkeye, I will just slide / push it onto the butt stock, with the 2 inner side pieces inverted against the stock, as you stated. thanks' for the info you provided me. I think it will look good for display, as it was an issued item.? toot.

Boolit Master
    HELP-I cannot get it to just slip / slide on to my 03/A3. the rubber is still pliable, but I start it on from the heel of the pad and butt plate heel and it goes only so far. any literature that tells one how to install it onto the gun. any military info on installation of them??

Boolit Master
    No information on installation but considering it's a 70 plus year old piece of rubber its probably lost a lot of its stretch and flexibility so it probably won't fit.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one on a 1903 set up for display as a grenade launcher.
    Mine has no 'tabs' on the inside like you discribe and is exactly the same as a typical slip on pad. Is it possible maybe yours was damaged or a badly molded rejected part ?
    A pic showing these tabs or lip might help..

Boolit Master

I have one also and the pad itself is hard but the sides are still a little pliable but not enough to go on either of my WW II rifles (1903, 1903A3 and M1 Garand). I could put it on one of them if I soaked it in hot water (I think) but have not tried that. I don't put slip on pads on rifles or shotguns any more, I made that mistake years ago and will not repeat it. A gunstock will age as light hits it but the stock underneath the pad gets no light, so it remains lighter. What you get is a two toned stock after the pad has been on for a year or two. my experience anyway, james

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have one also and the pad itself is hard but the sides are still a little pliable but not enough to go on either of my WW II rifles (1903, 1903A3 and M1 Garand). I could put it on one of them if I soaked it in hot water (I think) but have not tried that. I don't put slip on pads on rifles or shotguns any more, I made that mistake years ago and will not repeat it. A gunstock will age as light hits it but the stock underneath the pad gets no light, so it remains lighter. What you get is a two toned stock after the pad has been on for a year or two. my experience anyway, james

I was "bright" using a slip on pad on a lever action -- do not recall make/model -- years back when I stored it in a dirt-floor barn -- to keep the butt dry. After a few years -- before a move -- I removed the rubber butt plate to see the entire covered area covered with grey-green mold/fungus/???. I removed the actual metal butt place and used fine steel wool, Clorox, and Murphy's oil soap. The colour almost returned to uncovered area, but the finish was markedly different. One more reason NOT to leave one on...
    geo

Boolit Master
    I wish I could send a photo of it. I have a BANG & OLUFSEN, lap top, that will not let me send any photos'. it rely sucks. I have seen them listed on FLEA BAY. for a lot of $. and as stated they are 70+ yr.'s old and brittle, mins is very supple. OH WELL!. thank's guys!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The rubber is probably too hard to flex enough for it to slip on. Thé lips on the inside may have been put there to help keep it from sliding off. Now they have dried and hardened, so the can’t flex enough for you to get it on. I would look for a product to rejuvenate it. In the past some people used to use brake fluid to soften rubber parts on cars.

Boolit Grand Master

You could try soaping the inside of the pad. That is an easier way to get new grips on handlebars.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I will use soap on the pad, then try VASELENE on it. we used to put VASELENE on rubber O rings, to get them on / over the lips on valves on SUBS. it was SOP. I haven't been on a SUB, sense 1989. my little gray cells are starting to work again. thank's guys. toot.