Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Number 2 for the 73

Boolit Master

Number 2 for the 73

Second day of deer gun season here. Took the Uberti 1873 out for some exercise. Took a button buck that was hiding behind a tree. He was completely covered except for his head and about 6 inches of his neck. I pegged him at 40 yards. He was watching the barrel of my rifle trying to figure out why that dark branch was moving. My load of a 260 gr. rnfp ahead of 7.5 gr. of unique holds just under 1 inch at 50 yards. After a couple of minute he started acting like he was ready to bolt. My luck has been that IF I don't take the first shot nature offers me, I don't have another chance for the rest of the season. So naturally, I put the sights on its neck and squeezed the trigger. He came out from behind the tree doing a couple of back flips then lay still. 40 yard neck shot with a lever action. Good rifle with a good load. Sorry, but I didn't have a camera with me. That is the second deer that 1873 has taken and we've only been allowed to use straight walled cartridge rifle for 5 years.
    Last edited by jimb16; 12-08-2021 at 09:53 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for sharing…

Sounds like the hunter and the gun did a fine job!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sweet, is your rifle a .45 Colt? You ever chrono that load?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Yes, 45 LC. and that load chronos out of my rifle right at 1050 fps. Its just subsonic and goes BOOM and not CRACK!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    That's some mighty fine shooting ! Congrats !!

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Yes, 45 LC. and that load chronos out of my rifle right at 1050 fps. Its just subsonic and goes BOOM and not CRACK!
    Sounds great. Looks like you are approximating .44 magnum revolver power level and probably alot easier to shoot. Now you got me thinking about a .45 lever action!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Very nice. I’m actually thinking about hunting with my original 1873 in .44WCF. I’ve been testing some loads with the 200 grain Big Lube Bullet cast with 20-1 lead and with 40grn of Swiss 2F I’m averaging 1,302fps.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening and Congratulations !
    I would be very happy to pop any corn cruncher with a 260 grain .45 cast slug. Certainly does get the job done ! Well Done !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Babbott213 View Post
    Very nice. I’m actually thinking about hunting with my original 1873 in .44WCF. I’ve been testing some loads with the 200 grain Big Lube Bullet cast with 20-1 lead and with 40grn of Swiss 2F I’m averaging 1,302fps.

Seems like .44WCF would be a good work around on the straight walled rifle cartridge since it is technically a tapered cartridge. Kind of like rubbing their noses in it.

I wouldn't want to test that on a game warden. He/she might be having a bad day, sees the tiny "bottleneck", and you end up trading your rifle for a citation.

Boolit Master

I'd go to court and pull a Fauci. Show a drawing and say you can't argue with the science. Maybe I should have put that in purple font.