RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Reverse Sear That Ribeye

Boolit Grand Master

Reverse Sear That Ribeye

After hearing about it multiple times on the Joe Rogan Podcast I decided to give it a shot. You need to use a thick steak 1in or more to get this done.

Wife and I shopped at Wegmans and saw a ribeye on sale for more than we usually pay but I got it. $11 for a 1lb steak was pricey for us.
    Brought it to room temperature and rubbed the 1lb steak with a 1tsp salt and 1/2tsp pepper mix half to each side.
    Heated the grill to 225 then put the steak on the top rack for indirect heat. 20min each side for a medium or so steak. Took it off and wrapped the plate in tinfoil then heated up a cast iron skillet on the stove (supposedly you can do this on the grill over high heat but didn't do that)
    Put some oil in it and when the oil started to smoke added a Tbl of butter then put the steak in to sear the sides and lock in the juice. Swilled it around to keep it from sticking about 1min each side.
    Wrapped it again with tinfoil and got the salad and homemade bread ready.

This steak was melt in your mouth tender. Best one I've ever had.

Here is a short rundown from Meateaters https://www.themeateater.com/cook/re...e-sear-a-steak

Meateaters is a great sight for recipes, cooking stuff and hunting in general things.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Vendor Sponsor

Sounds good!

I marinate ours in what I call the "Three Saints & The Pope." Use a ziploc freezer bag, drizzle in long but equal shots of Teriyaki, Soy, and Worcestershire sauces (The Three Saints) and about a tablespoon of Huy Fong Vietnam Chili Garlic sauce (The Pope). Drop your steak in the bag, squeeze all the air out of the bag so the marinade surrounds the steak 100% and let it marinade at least one hour before cooking. Overnight works, sometimes I even use this method and freeze the bag.

Remove the steak from the bag, sprinkle on your favorite steak seasoning and grill, broil, sear, to your heart's content!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I confess I didn't read all that you supplied.

Been doing a reverse sear for years when I don't want a black and blue steak. Sous Vide is much the same thing as reverse sear. Both have a similar hi temp finish. But SV can be done inside in the kitchen with a blow torch and is far more tolerant of timing IMO.
    Let's go Brandon!

Never tried any of that, when I get another grill I will have to try that.

Moderator Emeritus

I know, blasphemy but I do something similar with the broiler. Use low to cook then high for a few minutes each side. I use butter, garlic, and some brown sugar seasoning. GF made fries I air fryer and she cut the corn off the cobs (from Costco which are phenomenal). That was probably the best steak dinner we ever had and I've eaten in some nice steak houses.

Boolit Master

I buy ribeyes and freeze them one each in a quart freezer zipper bag. Thaw by opening the top a bit and submerging in hot tap water for 45 minutes, which brings them to body temp. Then a salt and pepper rub, usually also with Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

Put some bacon grease in the Griswold 8 pan and get it hot on the gas burner, while the Lodge cast iron bacon press is heating on another burner. Steak in the pan, press on top, which sears the top as the bottom cooks. One flip and done. Steak comes out as described by Skeeter Skelton - burned on the outside, red in the middle. And perfect!

Boolit Master
    I like mine rare, so it just gets the sear and a rest!

Moderator Emeritus

walk it past the fire and hand me a knife and fork! I like very rare, get the center to body temp. And the outside needs to have a bit of char.

Moderator Emeritus

Reverse Sear That Ribeye

what in the wide wide world of sports is a goin on here?

Reverse Sear? I don't think so.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    walk it past the fire and hand me a knife and fork! I like very rare, get the center to body temp. And the outside needs to have a bit of char.
    I'm with you Mary! I love a black and blue steak. I've been known to lay a steak directly on the burning lump charcoal. And I ALWAYS put the steak as close to the burning lump as possible if not directly on it. I've also been known to put it on directly out of the freezer to maximize the char and keep the center near live temp. There is no finer steak on the planet. If I wanted to clean the mess we have an IR broiler in the oven that could do the same. But I don't want to clean it. I think an IR outdoor grill would do the same. Haven't tried it though.

Moving on...
    FWIW, a reverse sear not only works on a steak but a rib roast. Just get the center up to the doneness one wants in a low oven, pull it out, change roasting pans, and ramp up the temp to something hellish and put it back in for a few minutes to finish it off. It will be the finest rib roast you ever put a tooth to. That's why I never order beef out. I know I can do better at home. I've had one person, part of a couple, who doesn't eat meat come over and stated that (no gutter thoughts please), that she'd "eat my meat anytime!". Exact quote. Her husband was just chowing down, he didn't choke. No we do NOT have that sort of relationship so please keep the gutter thoughts to yourselves.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Grand Master

I've had one person, part of a couple, who doesn't eat meat come over and stated that (no gutter thoughts please), that she'd "eat my meat anytime!".

Nope, went right there on this one
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

3/4 inch steak and under - take steaks out of freezer and throw on hot grill. Sear each side till fork will go through center. DONE!
    Charred outside and RARE middle. Otherwise, a very HOT grill to sear.

Some steaks are even pretty good just seasoned and raw if you are hungry
    Last edited by oldscool; 12-02-2021 at 12:52 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Hand chopped sirloin(raw) mixed with onion and garlic and S&P, form into a loaf shape, score top, drizzle with a good olive oil. Serve with "party rye" bread or a rye cracker...

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve heard about that method and it sounds really interesting. If I don’t have a grill available, I pan fry my steaks. I’ve started using coconut oil an like it, because you can get it really hot. I’ve eaten a lol of black and blue steaks, but want it at least warm in the middle.

I’ve started to prefer a little more done these days and are searing them and then turning them down and letting them cook longer. What I wonder about the reverse searing method, is I always figured the searing helped keep the juices and flavor in during cooking.

Boolit Master

This thread is certainly making me hungry!!
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Grand Master
    No pink inside of my steak!!! Med well maybe, but prefer well done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    No pink inside of my steak!!! Med well maybe, but prefer well done.
    me too. i mostly eat vension but even beef steak is cooked till it has just a tinge of pink. Anyone that says it makes it tough has never ate at my house. biggest mistake you make cooking a steak to any doneness is flipping it to much. I take a venison back strap, butterfly the whole thing. Toss it on the grill closed and cook it till its nice and seared on one side, flip it over and do the other side. Open it up and baste it with butter and garlic and put the rare side down and cook till thats seared and its cooked to the slight pink i like and you can cut it with a fork. If your meats tough you either have poor tough meat or your cooking it wrong. Its why i wont order a steak in a resteraunt. Cooks are great at rare and medium rare but most dont have a clue or the patients to do a well done one right.

Boolit Grand Master

I tried this with some deer backstrap the other day after reading this. It was definitely really good, but better than normally grilled? The jury is still out for me. The backstrap is at least 1" thick, but has tapered edges, so maybe that had an effect. With wild game, if tender is what you want, just cut them against the grain, not with it. For flavor, I think I prefer straight grilled. I like to have a decent pile of charcoals good and hot, and really sear each side fast. I'm not a big butter fan. Garlic and pepper for me. Venison you can just about get away with well done if you stop right there. Duck and goose you can't get away with well done. If you like well done, nothing beats bear. I'll take a well done bear steak over a medium rare deer any day.

To be fair, I like my raw meats. I absolutely love raw salmon in sushi (tuna is ok cooked), and steak tartare is delicious. I've also come to love "tiger meat".
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 12-17-2021 at 01:04 AM.

MMMM! Sounds great!

I’ve got a Recteq pellet smoker and have been reverse searing steaks; ribeyes, sirloins, and tuna. Ribeyes are for Xmas lunch!
    I don’t think you can get a better steak than to reverse sear. We eat steak medium rare, so about one hour on 225, take off, wrap in foil, set aside, raise temp on grill to max (475-500). Once pit reaches max, unwrap and place steaks back on grille and cook 3-5 min each side and watch internal temp 120. Most of the time now, I just smoke an hour then sear 3-4 min each side.
    Good Stuff!