Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer #4 for the 327 federal. The Henry rifle finally gets use

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, deer caliber restrictions are asinine. Believe it or not, the 327 federal just barely squeaks by the somewhat obscure South Dakota definition. This is a state that is trying to make blowgun fishing legal (and I fully support, I love blowguns). I was not alive when all these restrictions were first put into place, so I don't know what the original intent was when states did this. Now it is a case of being behind the curve. As more and more states roll out regulations for hunting with airguns, states will relax their restrictions by quite a bit. The old curmudgeons will still moan that now most states will allow cartridges as small as 32 acp, sometimes smaller. Well, a whole lot of studies have been done on airguns, and surprise surprise, deer aren't that tough. 30 caliber, 150 grain, at 800 fps. If that works when propelled by air, why wouldn't it work when propelled by burning powder? Myself, and just about everyone else choose to exceed that voluntarily. It's just another case in a long list that government should not be regulating ethics.

As for this rifle, I'm quite happy with what I see. It is pretty high on my list of choices for black bear next year.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Yes, but you don't have to. I can't stand a gold bead myself. I have good eyes, and I still can't make a clear picture with that. I'll be brutally honest, the sights that come on Henry rifles deserve to go straight into the trash bin, both front and back. I've had $30 BB guns with better sights.

I'm almost positive the front sight on this Henry is also from Skinner, just a simple blade. I paint the face one coat white, then two or three coats blaze orange using paint markers.
    I agree with the assessment of the Henry sights. I have 2 Henry Bigboys and the factory sights are really worthless for me on these rifles.. On my .44 magnum Big Boy, the adjuster/elevator would jump the notches when shot. The first and second notch were totally worthless. If I put the elevator on the 3rd notch, it would stay set, most of the time. Put a older Burris 4x scope on this rifle.

On the .357 Magnum Henry Big Boy, like yours, I have a Skinner peep and the Skinner front sight blade. I really like a blade/post front sight, gives a sight picture like a Garand/M1a.

Just asking, because the Skinner peep required the taller Skinner front sight on my rifle to get a good zero. The factory front-sight shot too high. The bead was big enough to cover an elephants head at 100 yards!

These Henry rifles are high quality in my opinion, just wish they came stock with Skinner-sights, a high quality system also!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

USMC 77, USRA 79

another one in the freezer for ya MSM!!! way to go and as usual, great write up!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

I do like a post sight for big game hunting. This one is a little wide, which is fantastic if you are looking for a handy 75 yard deer carbine. I think this rifle has a lot of potential on small game too and the sight is a little wide for outside of shotgun range. I can't hardly shoot a squirrel at 50 yards anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12