Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman or RCBS bottom pour furnace?

Boolit Grand Master
    Let the spout mechanism get dirty from contaminated lead any any pot will leak. I have 2 of the dreaded 20# “Drip-o-matics “ and one of the little old 10# pots from Lyman. In the past, my dad and I also had another Lyman 10# pot and one of the first of their big orange 20 pounders that Dad bought and after using to smelt a half ton of dirty stuff got choked up. You’d have to have known my father to appreciate how he destroyed this big Lyman pot trying to “fix” it.

Last week I was visiting my friend Dale53 and used his meticulously maintained big green pot from RCBS. As usual it worked well, but he sets it up and starts the casting process, so as expected it worked well except for the occasional drip that comes from every bottom pour pot I’ve ever used.

The point of this rant is found in the very first sentence and the very last. They all will leak without proper care. With proper care, they will only leak a little. ALL OF THEM!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Let the spout mechanism get dirty from contaminated lead any any pot will leak. I have 2 of the dreaded 20# “Drip-o-matics “ and one of the little old 10# pots from Lyman. In the past, my dad and I also had another Lyman 10# pot and one of the first of their big orange 20 pounders that Dad bought and after using to smelt a half ton of dirty stuff got choked up. You’d have to have known my father to appreciate how he destroyed this big Lyman pot trying to “fix” it.

Last week I was visiting my friend Dale53 and used his meticulously maintained big green pot from RCBS. As usual it worked well, but he sets it up and starts the casting process, so as expected it worked well except for the occasional drip that comes from every bottom pour pot I’ve ever used.

The point of this rant is found in the very first sentence and the very last. They all will leak without proper care. With proper care, they will only leak a little. ALL OF THEM!

Froggie
    Try a spring like in the photo; there good pots have two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D38EC8D7-AB1A-42F2-8265-0D961EA2A1C1.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	293431

Boolit Master

Even though Lifetime Warranty doesn't cover electronics, I would buy the RCBS. Just because of Customer service.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by rcslotcar View Post
    I use an old "Ohio pro melt". It is the same as the exact same the RCBS pro melt. RCBS bought the patent to it and changed the paint from black to green. I have no idea how old mine is,however it has been worth every penny I paid for it. If the RCBS works as good as my old pot you will be very happy with it. I did replace the off/on switch a few years ago.
    I have the same one!
    Got it from an old gentleman who taught me about boolit casting......been using it since then....maybe mid 80's, and it is still perfect!
    So know nothing about the Lyman furnace, but RCBS stick by their products and give very good after sales service....my vote goes to them!

Boolit Master
    My 40 year old SAECO doesn’t drip when it’s clean. Unfortunately, the seat eventually catches some trash but even then, the drips are measured in minutes, not seconds. SAECO made the stop pin engagement pretty long so there is a lot of bearing surface.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12