Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First rifle for kids.

Boolit Master

First rifle for kids.

I’m teaching my kids to shoot the pellet gun, and thinking about a good first rifle for them. I started out with a Ruger 10/22, but got board of it for the lack of power. Reloading for a .327 Federal Mag wouldn’t be significantly more expensive than .22 LR ammo, and should be more fun over the long haul for them. There’s Trail Boss load data, so I could even teach them how to roll their own with this cartridge.
    Would the .327 be a good rifle when the kids are big enough to handle it, or is there something else I should consider? I’ve never actually used a .327, so maybe I should buy one for myself to try out 😎

Boolit Buddy
    My son started out with a Red Ryder BB/pellet gun. Then we moved to a Marlin 39A. Then a 10/22. After that we started shooting my dad's Springfield 30.06 bolt. He now shoots skeet when he can. He is stationed in Europe in the Air Force.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I started my kids with these: https://savagearms.com/content?p=fir...ummary&s=13775

Pretty nice triggers, single shot and pretty accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    My son recently expressed an interest in trying shooting for the first time. I was looking at a Winchester 67 or Cricket type bolt rifle for this.

Boolit Grand Master
    It depends on your objectives and their interest. If you (they) want to be good marksman, a quality air rifle is the best investment.

If you want them to make some noise, clang some steel and have "fun" while remaining hacks, well...it doesn't matter much. This will be hard to hear, but is reality. Unless you have a large stockpile of primers and powder, there is nothing cheap about shooting CF's. Same for .22's at over $4/box at most places...if you can find them. I shoot pellets for less than $8/500. Becoming a good shot requires thousands of rounds downrange and that gets expensive.

I have only seen one "natural" in 60 years of shooting. I am going to bet your kids are not "naturals". Getting good requires trigger time and a lot of it.

Have an honest discussion with your kids...your desires are not as important as what they want. Are they pumped by busting aspirins at 15 yards, or hitting a 12" steel plate at 100 yards?
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Savage rascal. Peep sights. Scope mount separately. But it's light and simple. Pretty safe. And fun size just like them. Accurate too. Remington viper ammo I can go 4 for 5 bottle caps at 50'. With peep sights. Federal bulk target ammo shoots good too.

Next for us is a ruger american ranch bolt gun in 223. Cast loads not full power.

Boolit Master

Depending on your budget, I'd also consider a CZ 527 in 7.62x39, Rossi 92 in 357, or Ruger 77/357.

All three are lightweight and easy to download to any power level you want. All three are also deer worthy. The Ruger wins in the all weather dept and is bolt gun simple. The CZ is easily the most accurate and has a sweet target trigger if they want to shoot longer range but bit more time consuming to load for. Gorgeous rifle in wood but I do think they are offering synthetic, too. Rossi is probably the best for clanging steel in a rapid fashion if they don't mind recovering brass.

Boolit Master
    That Ruger 77 looks nice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    That Ruger 77 looks nice.
    My kids and I have put thousands of rounds through one. For a plinking load, it likes a powdercoated Lee 120 TC over a near max charge of Red Dot or Promo. Shoots around 3" at 100 yards. Not bad for a plainbased bullet moving around 1500fps. Basically a beefed up heavy bullet .22 mag. Subsonic target level 38's are fun, too!

My gk's graduated from BB/pellet rifle to 243 bolt and did quite well (Howa). Took a while for the youngest to get strong enough to lift the barrel of the 870 12 ga. The other 2 gks got bored with the m60 22 real fast.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Hearing and feeling the gunfire is just as much fun as hitting the target… often times more fun.

JMO, but kids don't need a lot of power, or weight/length, because those things can make them fearful or awkward if/when firing.

The choice of a first real firearm should take the age, physical size, and maturity of the subject child into consideration.

I catered to their expectations, not mine (except for safety).

I made shooting fun for my children, shooting at large/fragile targets - like balloons, clay pigeons & empty beverage cans.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Every new shooter should learn to properly run a bolt action rifle,more to it than many people realize. Teaching all shooting positions safely is far more important than what gun they will start with. The Keystone Cricket rifles are good rifles to start them with and not burn through ammo with a single shot bolt action. I would want to get my kids to the level of Rifleman in the Appleseed events, I would want a goal for them to last a lifetime. I have done my two kids when they were little and 5 grandchildren . Appleseed came late but a very worthy endeavor with your kids and adults,if you have never done one you’re missing the best training for a minimal cost anywhere. I guarantee you will be challenged and learn with your kids.

Boolit Master
    Randy, that is good thinking, unless one of the bunch is a south paw. I got my grandkids a Rossi pump .22. Required them to cycle the action, has a longer barrel for muzzle control and awareness, and is ambidextrous.

BTW, the youngest is now a SSG in the Army, and qualified as an Expert rifleman in BCT.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Dverna makes some good points to you.
    However, you mention that you will be reloading .327, or are you thinking of reloading for a .327 ? Nowadays, ANYTHING you need for reloading is just about unobtainable. Hopefully that will all change when we all wake up to what's going on and do something about it. But i've never seen much of .327 stuff available and it will always be more expensive. Not too good of an idea if plinking is all you have in mind. If you do want to reload i'd lean more towards .38/.357. Even in these hard times brass is readily available in both and there are more bullet/boolit options. Plink in .38, and when loaded properly, .357 is a fine hunting round in a lever action if they get there some day.....

Boolit Master

What ever you come up with it should be a single shot. Simi autos waist a lot of ammo. I started off with a #4 Remington way back when. At 12 or 13 a farmer was paying me to shoot ground squirrels. I had a choice between the #4 and a model 12 Remington. Both shot the same on paper but the #4 got more squirrels. You can use a lot of ammo up when you know you got a back-up shot. With a single shot you make every shot count.

I taught my three kids how to shoot with a Rossi Matched Pair break open single shot and a Remington 510 single shot cut down on both ends. We lived in town then and used Aguila Colibris there and regular shells on the farm.
    Good times!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned

I started my grandson with a Crickett at 4 y.o. He loved it, they aren't to small for younger kids. He used it till he was 10 y.o. I have two of them on S&S but I don't want to jump through the hoops for other than F to F.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    My son recently expressed an interest in trying shooting for the first time. I was looking at a Winchester 67 or Cricket type bolt rifle for this.
    I wouldn't have a cricket if it was free and delivered.

Remember - most of us are old farts, life and desires were different. Folks were non-gun (almost anti) so first real one I shot was Garand at boot camp. Qual'd as marksman. Did go dove hunting with loaned 12 double in HS, didn't hit anything. My kids didn't shoot anything but BB guns. Pretty much still don't although the daughter does have LTC. It' need or desire/attitude/interest, not the gun. 22 is OK, fun plinker but noise recoil can scare them off no matter what they start with. That's the real problem with kids just beginning, pain makes them lose interest.
    Whatever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast