Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Anticipated Opening Day

Boolit Master

An Anticipated Opening Day

Due to a vehicle accident in September 2020 I was out of commission for last year's deer season. Any season, for that matter. By God's grace and the determination to stand on two feet, traverse uneven ground, to hunt, as motivating goals I used what little free time in 2021 to rehab and refresh myself in casting, reloading and target practicing with a few rifles I thoroughly enjoy. This morning was the start of Gun Season in Ohio, which found me overlooking a freshly harvested soybean field, the very one I shot my first deer in 35 years ago. It isn't a big producer of venison, yet, I find it a spot to go to on opening day every few years, for old time sake, or because I hadn't procured another farm to hunt on by this time of the year. The reason I choose this spot didn't matter. I was going to hunt opening day this year with a renewed vigor to be out with a rifle in hand readied with my cast handloads.

The thermometer was hovering around 20F. Very little breeze to note touched my face, the sunrise over my shoulder was slowly illuminating the landscape to the front of my little spot, cut out of the brush at the field's eastern most edge.
    Attachment 292430
    It isn't a stretch to say I was very much looking forward to this activity again. An added touch was my oldest was hunting the east part of the farm across the road. It was a good morning to be out.
    Attachment 292428

Just after legal light I thanked God for this opportunity, and that I would greatly appreciate a deer this morning. With the words leaving my lips I turned my head toward the south (left) and noticed a deer on a high spot about 70 yards out. Because of the distant tree line as a backdrop and the dimness of the dawn I wasn't certain if it was a buck or doe, but leaned toward it being a year and half old buck, by the way it was moving about. If you are familiar, the young guys are looking for company, but aren't quite confident about how to go about it. Much like I was as a young man. That is how this deer was acting. The angle wasn't wise for shooting, as the county road is in that direction, so I elected to watch to see where it would go. Finally, after minutes of indecision, it turned around and walked toward the west. Once it cleared the distant trees the rack on it's head could be clearly seen and confirmed my initial suspicions. A young buck. That'll do. I need the meat and the shot angle is good. Bleating stopped him broadside, the front post of the Marlin Cowboy lined up on the shoulder as I aimed through the Skinner Peep, the trigger squeezed and impact was nearly as loud as the gunshot. He fell without a twitch to the .460" 405 grain WFN boolit with aplomb. Don't think I've seen a deer drop dead quite as fast with a straight wall cartridge as this one did.
    Attachment 292429

My son remarked how loud the meat report sounded to him, when he came over to help load the buck up. That big meplat really put the smack on this guy in a most satisfying manner. I'll conduct a complete autopsy once it is skinned out, but I'm on the prowl for a big doe to go along with this fella. Will keep you posted how that goes, too.
    Last edited by ChristopherO; 11-30-2021 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Rotate Pictures

Boolit Man
    Well done

Boolit Master
    Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Buddy
    That’s awesome!
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Buddy
    Glad you are healing up, a morning like that rehabs the spirit.

Well done, and thanks for taking the time to share!

Boolit Master
    +5 With the rite incentive mountains can be moved!

Thanks for the write up. That is a big bodied youngster. He should eat good.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Good to hear your progress, Good photos, Nice deer & gun, Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Boolit Grand Master
    excellent and congrats on the recovery and getting back out there
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Super Moderator

Now that's what hunting is all about. Congrats on your accident recovery, and on a successful hunt. Great story to boot, and thanks for sharing it.

Boolit Buddy

Excellent job on your rehab/recovery and getting back out there along with a nice deer.

Glad you could get back out , and good shooting

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Nice writ up and pictures! Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading.

Boolit Master

I’m glad you are physically and spiritually healing! Wonderful hunt , I’d give anything to hunt where I took my first deer- it’s a heavy equipment operators school now.
    Some years ago a severe shoulder injury had me missing work and how season ; but being mule stubborn I decided to shoot left handed for firearm/muzzle loading season. Took what was at that time my nicest buck ever a 3.5 year old 10 point .
    Anyhow very proud of you , and I’m glad you got to hunt with your son!

Boolit Master
    Congrats on a successful hunt! Excellent write up, too. Made me feel as if I was sitting next to you. God is a God of miracles and sometimes He does things for you, to remind you that He loves you and cares for you.

Vendor Sponsor

That's not a good hunt, that's a PERFECT hunt! Nice looking deer, nice looking rifle, good shooting!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    That's the proper way to rehab! Congratulations!

Dick

Boolit Master
    Great job, thanks for taking us along an the pics as well.

Boolit Buddy

Congrats on a perfect hunt and thanks for sharing your story. God knew you could use a blessing. Best wishes on another for the freezer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast