WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wounded Warriors

Boolit Buddy

Wounded Warriors

Anyone have experience with this group? The commercials I've been seeing have been getting to me lately. Is this a legitimate organization? Does the full amount of the money you donate go to the Veterans? I'd like to hear from anyone with personal experience with this outfit.

Thankfully, I've never needed their help.

The only thing I heard they do that's been criticized is they spend a fair sized percentage of their donations on advertising.
    Which on the surface sounds bad, but it's actually a good investment to get the word out and bring in more donations with.

The famous people you see on TV in their ads are volunteering their time, and are donners too---
    but even at discounted rates from the networks, the air time adds up to big bucks pretty fast.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The last I heard is that a very small portion goes to help a Vet. Majority of money goes to salaries, advertisement and banquet get togethers at expensive resorts.

Boolit Master
    Take a look at this site and scroll down to the bottom. It might change your impression of Wounded Warriers.

https://www.consumerreports.org/char...s-a4066579102/

It seems they have improved some over what they were doing several years ago. Here is a partial breakdown of money spent by wounded warriors. I have heard they did replace the CEO that diverted money to salaries, parties and advertisement.

Charity Navigator’s Assessment

Charity Navigator, one of the leading watchdogs that keep eyes on charity groups, is a great place to look. Based on their assessment of WWP, they have an 86% score. That is not the best, but it is a far cry from being a scam. According to Charity Navigator, WWP is very transparent with their foundation and is well within the regulations set forth by the IRS. Beyond being within regulations, the percentage of Wounded Warrior Project money that is donated to their stated cause is 38% of all funds. This, again, is not the best, but it is good. On top of that, nearly 25% of their funds are used for fundraising, which generates 75 cents on the dollar. So, as you can see, they are not only giving pennies on the dollar, they are giving a fair amount. Of $234,682,943 raised in 2013, over 91 million dollars were donated to their stated cause while another 76 million dollars were kept in reserve, not used or donated, but not spent on salaries either. The CEO did pocket $375,000, which is 0.23% of all funds available. Not too bad.

Boolit Master
    About 97% of every dollar that's donated to the DAV goes to help veterans! Numbers over the years for WWP range from 57-75%. Personally, I've been donating to the DAV for over 20 years because of how effectively they use the money they bring in. That's where I chose to send my money and refuse to support any charity where the higher ups live like kings!

Once, at a charity shoot, i donated a thousand to wounded warriors.

A few weeks later, there was a story about their yearly get-to-gather at a conference center in Colorado.

My $1000 paid half of the bar tab for one officer for one night.

They won't bite me twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I almost donated a car to a veterans group. I found that they spent most of their donations on advertisements and a very small percentage actually went to veterans. I also found that the CEO of the charity organization owned the advertising company. Be cautious.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    I do not know the current % that goes to the wounded vet but there has been a total shake up of the original management and is now considered a reputable organization but each must decide which is your preferred, we can’t support them all, just too many

I volunteer with Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing, where we introduce recovering veterans to all the aspects of fly fishing; fly tying, rod building, fly casting and of course we take them fishing. There are only a few employees in the main office, and the rest of the program across the country is run by only volunteers. It's an amazing program which I'm honored to be a part of. In my opinion it is a very worthy organization to donate to. Check out the website and decide for yourself.

https://projecthealingwaters.org/

Boolit Master

I'd go with the DAV Disabled American Veterans dav.org & the PVA pva.org as a wounded warrior I've got help and advice from both at times.they man almost every VA hospital in the country with there service officers, we can see where their funds are going.WWP had troubles a few years ago,but I think they got it running better now?????

My son told me not to give to any place that ask for $19.00 a month,because that gets them just under the IRS limits so 19.00 a month doesn't get reported the same. I don't worry about tax breaks and such as I've never had that kind of money to give anyhow.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 12-02-2021 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master
    Another supporter of DVA.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Thanks all, good info.

Did some work with the WTB (Warrior Transition Battalion) group out of Ft. Gordon a few years back....we were able to work with them to put together some duck hunting opportunities for some of the recovering soldiers. Very hands-on and VERY rewarding. I believe the WTB units are now called SRUs (Soldier Recovery Unit). Don't know if you have a facility near you....but the folks running the unit at Ft. Gordon were thrilled to work with us to provide a cool opportunity and the guys that hunted with us also had a blast. Just another potential way to contribute...
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

I've volunteered for them as an engineer before.. I much prefer the Gary sinse foundation ( spelling? )

Boolit Master

Gave up on Wounded Warriors when they went Anti Gun a few years ago. In Montana, they created their own state version called Montana Wounded Warriors for that reason. They are a true "Philanthropic" organization:

Montana Wounded Warriors was formed to provide residents of the State of Montana, who were wounded as a result of combat service in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, with high-quality hunting and fishing opportunities in the state of Montana. These veterans must also have received at least a 30% disability rating from the VA for physical and/or mental issues directly related to their combat service. They must also have received an honorable discharge from the military, unless they are still active duty. We are based in Northwest Montana, near Glacier National Park.

The organization is run by a nine member all-volunteer board. This allows us to maximize the use of donations to serve our Veterans. We have no paid staff in contrast with other organizations who may serve Veterans in some capacity, but whose budget is primarily used to cover fundraising and other administrative costs.

Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing -- Got a HS buddy that does volunteer work for them. Another one that bothers me is tunnels & towers. There was a big congressional fight when Fed funding ended, then they added vets to program so they could go national.
    Whatever!

Tunnels to towers. T2T.org has a 95 % program rate. Way better than wounded warriors, who still waste a lot in my opinion. And the T2T CEO is an UNPAID Volunteer. That says a lot. They build homes for vets, and a lot of families of killed or severely injured vets, police and firemen. They get all my charity donations.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

T2T was started after congress wouldn't give more $ for police and firefighters after 9-11. They decided that those injured had enough time/$ to recover.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

Much better orgs out there than Wounded Warriors. DVA or T2T would be my go to now

I setup a charity paintball game to raise money for WW. Was treated like red headed step child when they found out we sold guns .. NEVER again for me
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast