RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: RCBS 44-200-fn

RCBS 44-200-fn

I purchased a used RCBS 44-200-FN off the forum here a while back. I finally got it cleaned up and tested. It casts .428 bullets. I was hoping for more like .430+.

So my question, did RCBS offer this one in more than one diameter? It’s listed in my RCBS manual in 44 special data.

Second question. Is that too much to of a difference to lap? I’d really like to get .431

I’ve lapped a few, but not that much. Mostly just to clean them up or fix a sticky cavity.

Should I sell it or keep it?

Boolit Buddy
    I have given up on Lyman and RCBS molds with my 2-4-94 alloy, so I would sell it and call Tom at Accurate and order what you want the size you want it.
    Don't get me wrong the RCBS molds makes great boolits and I love casting with them but they have all thrown smaller boolits with the softer alloys a lot of us are using these days.
    Tony

I looked at that design once but found it was specced at .428. I love that bullet in 45 for the ACP and would order one if you get Tom to make it!
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I had that mold too. It dropped like you say yours does. You might pc the diameter to what you want, if you don't want to do that sell it.

Bazoo, Is it possible that the mould was intended for the .44-40?

Boolit Master

Yep,
    That mold is for the .44-40, it has a book diameter of .428 mine drops at .429 with 50/50 - COWW/#2. PC makes it .430, 2 coats make it .431dia.
    If You really need a bigger diameter, then sell it off. And buy something that will drop bigger.
    Or work with a harder alloy and double PC.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I appreciate the replies. I’m thinking it over. Moneys tight at the moment, and I have the mould in hand and all needed to lap it. I might give it a go.

My other RCBS mounds all drop a good size. The 44s drop at .431+

I wonder why RCBS lists the 44-200-fn in the 44spl data? Seems odd.

I’d considered powder coat, but I’m not into it yet. I really don’t have a spot for it right now. I was planning on setting up and doing it outside sometime in the nicer months.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Are you shooting this in a revolver or rifle? Have you measured cylinder throats, chamber neck diameter and barrel groove diameter? Are you sure that you really need a .428 bullet? I get best results in my 1905 Colt SA, 1920 Colt New Service, original 1892 Winchester, Spanish El Tigre as well as my modern Pietta and Uberti .44-40s shooting .430 bullets in ALL of them, using 1 to 30 tin-lead from Roto Metals with 6.5 grains of Bullseye. I shoot the same bullet with 7.5 grains of Bullseye as a "medium velocity" load in my .44 Magnum snub with Accurate 43-206H.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I’m going to shoot it out of a flattop Blackhawk initially. My cylinder throats are something in the order of .431+ I purchased it not knowing it was small, as it’s listed for 44 special in my RCBS manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I’m going to shoot it out of a flattop Blackhawk initially. My cylinder throats are something in the order of .431+ I purchased it not knowing it was small, as it’s listed for 44 special in my RCBS manual.
    Check the bore too. There is nothing like a .430 chamber with a .427 cylinder throat and a .430 bore

My bore is .4295 best I recall.

Boolit Master
    I've sent several moulds to Eric Ohlen and he opened them up. That's been a few years ago but maybe he still offers this service.

Hmm, I’ll keep that in mind.