MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast round ball, black powder and a 220 year old musket

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico
    simply amazing. Smooth bore @ 75 yards! Congratulations.

Very cool indeed

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    But but it wasn't going 3,500 fps, and it is lead......

Nice rifle, and good shooting.
    this aint a rife this is a musket!

Boolit Master

this whole thing has got "cool" written all over it. Not just a muzzle loader- a 220 year old musket from when that's all they had. Not just any animal taken- a bison! Not any modern "hitech" muzzle loading projectile- a PRB! Not blackpowder sub- real black! Too bad you couldn't find any old powder to use too! well done sir!

Boolit Bub
    Gosh, you know I could have... I do have about 10 pounds of very old Curtiss & Harvey fine sporting rifle powder. A friend of mine's great Grandpa had it. He said it was from sometime in the early 1920s. So not 19th century but still close to 100 years old. I have used it in my BPCR rifles( nice powder- shoots well, a little less velocity than Swiss, but softer fouling) and just didn't think about it for this hunt....
    The alloy is very close to pure lead but does have some tin. probably 50/1 or so. I typically cast pretty soft boolets for the Spencers and second Allin Springfield at 30/1, and there was a couple pounds of that left in the pot when I fill it with soft sheet lead. The little bit of tin in the mix does seem to cast really well. Made a bunch of round balls and a bunch of .577 Minie boolets for the Savage Revolving Arms Co. contract 1861 Springfield musket..
    But I really love the old flintlocks, don't have to worry about percussion caps, (or primers, or brass) just powder and ball. and the smoothies are handy for buck shot or fine shot as well...)

Boolit Buddy
    That is beyond cool. The oldest rifle I have shot is a 1804. And only at targets. Where did you hunt. Friend of mine shot a buffalo last year and where he went he could only use a scoped rifle.
    Steve

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings Big Goose and Double Congratulations !!
    That is a fine looking Buff you have there ! And a very fine looking flintlock ! I salute you from afar ! Well done and thank you for the write-up !
    You are a man after my own heart. We have a couple old flinters that have been hunting. The oldest so far after corn crunchers is an 1819 Hall in .54. A couple old muskets have only been out crow popping.
    Can you add where and how you got the tag for a cow Buff ?
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banner Sponsor

Most excellent, I like it! I like it a lot!

Boolit Bub
    That’s a neat hunt… happy for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Ver cool!

Boolit Master
    I proudly bow and tip my hat to you Sir.
    Well done.

Boolit Master

Bison are always impressive! Thanks for sharing! Tim

Boolit Master
    Am I the only one that is super impressed at the use of wasp nest material for wadding? I didn't know that was a thing, very cool.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    this aint a rife this is a musket!
    Missed my whole point, but to make it better, nice Liege, Belgium contract musket

You are my hero, Chris!!! I still want you to adopt me as one of your sons... I promise to not knock anyone in the head with a bess... unless they need it
    “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    Wow!

Boolit Master

Geed deal! And a lot of good eating ahead. I can see a little burger but I think she should be fine for steaks.
    Good Job!
    Rick

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Send me the tongue and marrow bones!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Howdy all, been a while , busy with fall harvest, hunting and all, figure I should say thanks for the comments and follow up on some...
    Oh Waksupi, you think like I do... the tongue will be cured and smoked( possibly the finest delicacy that exists) and the marrow bones have already been cracked and rendered. Rendered marrow fat is better than butter.
    the steaks are excellent, and yes plenty of burger and some choice "chunk 'o hump" roasts..
    Isaac, you became Colton's big brother the moment he head butted your Bess buttplate....( and your primitive hunting endeavors match anything we've done)!
    Yup, wasp nest makes great wadding under a patched ball, or as a cushion wad over a card wad with a shot load. Great time of the year to find and harvest some right now. A football sized nest will yield a good supply of wadding and its free.
    This hunt was on a Reservation in Montana; in 2020 because of Covid most tribal communities were locked down pretty tight and all non band member hunts were cancelled, and it was pretty much the same this fall.. but there was an exception for folks experienced with bison( so as to be able to accommodate social distancing and be independent of a guide pointing out a specific cow) and having a vaccine and negative Covid test to be able to take a cull cow.
    That is more challenging than it might seem to some, as there are some 900 animals on over 30,000 acres and to select a single old cow that isn't all bunched up in the herd is pretty tricksome. I wound up (after several failed stalks and/ or ambush sites) hunkered against the steep cutbank of a coulee downstream of an old earthen dam. The herd is like to move through that natural swale and I was literally standing on a deep rutted buffalo trail. I heard buffalo grunts right at the top of the bank above me and when I stepped out a bit to take a peek, I saw the shaggy top knot of a big old cow not 15 to 20 feet away. she saw me about the same instant, her eyes rolled and she wheeled to the north. rocks and gravel came spattering down the bank. At least several dozen buffaloes followed that old cow and though they were less than 20 yards , they were running and quartering almost straight away, no chance for a shot at all. I just tucked back against the bank and waited , sure enough a big part of that herd came galloping to my left , on the opposite side, running towards the top of the old dam embankment. At the nearest point they were only maybe 60 yards away There was that nice old alpha cow out in front, and she slowed to a trot and then a walk. She was a couple of buffalo lengths in front of the nearest one following and about 75 yards away from me, but at that point getting farther with every step. I had the old flint musket up and tucked the front blade so I could just barely see the forward barrel band , lined it up with the right edge of the tang screw slot, and swung the muzzle so that the blade was just above and a bit forward of her shoulder. That huge lock sparked like a dragon and the fine powder in the cavernous pan flashed, almost instantly the musket belched a dull orange flash and cloud of white smoke; I could hear the ball strike flesh(almost like a hand clap). sort of a keerboom-splat. She kicked in the air like a donkey kicking at a bee sting and leaped over the far side of the embankment. I reloaded with a paper cartridge with buffaloes streaming past... pretty awesome moment. She only made two big jumps towards the dry reservoir on the far side of the hill and collapsed. The ball had punched a thumb size hole through the top of her heart and she had expired quickly.
    There are several tribal nations , as well as private outfits that offer bison hunts. Covid has thrown a wrench into that for now.. but I recently noted that the Yellowstone herd is being reduced and many of those will likely go to one of the quarantine herds in the Intertribal Bison Cooperative. After several years in a quarantine and tested regularly those animals are released on various tribal lands.
    Anyways, here's a couple pics of the deer I got during our muzzle-loader season.( Hope they post OK) Used my 1861 Springfield Savage Revolving Arms contract musket made in 1863. .577 old style Minie boolet ( 515 grains) over 60 grains of Olde Eynesford 2 f, blackpowder. Just a shade over 100 yards. My wife asked me to shoot a nice fat nubby buck or doe, I thought this was the biggest doe ever, but turned out to be a big old skinny buck that had already lost his antlers. She was so disappointed, but you know he's pretty good tasting.. not "bucky" like I expected. and a big fellow for sure, without the hide, head or lower legs weighed just over 190 pounds on my balance beam meat scale. got 60 pounds of burger besides the hams( going to turn them into venison pastrami) and loin steaks.
    Nice way to end the season!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211211_184014_resized.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	293274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211211_170027_resized.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	293275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211211_174259_resized.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	293276

Boolit Master

NICE!
    ya can't beat fun for a good time!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast