RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: 12 ga 6 petal Twister slug verses deer….wow!

12 ga 6 petal Twister slug verses deer….wow!

Filmed a hunt for my son Ethan this weekend. It’ll be on my YouTube channel in a couple of days. The slug used in this hunt was the 6 petal Twister slug attached to a flex seal, X12X gas seal, and 38 grs of Steel. All this was in a new Fiocchi 2.75” clear hull with a roll crimp:

We got in the ground blind around 2:30. The weather was rainy, overcast and cold. First deer showed up at 4 pm. From my vantage point in the blind, I could see a herd of at least 8-10 does, but the yearling came in first.

Ethan had his ear plugs in when I told him to get ready. As the yearling made her way in, I was zooming in. At the same time, I whispered, “Don’t shoot yet.”

Well, he heard “Shoot!” Dang report of that Savage 212 bout liken to scare the human excrement outta me. I dropped the camera.

Deer dropped right there. Afterwards, I told him he shot the wrong deer. He was pretty beat up about it, but I used this as a teaching moment:

“Son,” I said, “there’s nothing in these woods bigger than the memories we just made.”

See, Ethan grew up with me hunting. Doves, ducks, deer, you name it. At 13 years old, his interested has changed a bit as he’s preoccupied with schoolwork (he’s a member of the junior national Honor society. Straight A student in 8th grade taking high school classes already), sports, and friends. I was just blessed to share a couple hours with my boy again.

Anyway, the damage was nothing short of spectacular. Sure, I wished it would have been a bigger animal, but y’all get the point.

The entry hole was massive. About the size of my fist. Slug punched through the shoulder, shredded the heart and lungs, and exited out the opposite shoulder:

The exit hole was irregular in shape and showed where some the petals broke off creating their own wound channels. About 4 holes exited the hide (you’ll see that in the video). Exit:

All in all, I wouldn’t trade this hunt for the world. I’m a blessed man and to share this with my son is nothing short of amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I think you did it. You finally brought enough gun.

Seriously though, that is destruction beyond what I've ever witnessed. 300 win mag doesn't even compare.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I think you did it. You finally brought enough gun.

Seriously though, that is destruction beyond what I've ever witnessed. 300 win mag doesn't even compare.
    It was a small deer. I’m curious to see what it will do to a mature animal.

Yeah I think the Ruskies finally figured out the most devastating slug out there.

I have a saying,,, "Nothing Lives thru a Slug!"

The revised version of that is,,, "Nothing is left after one of these!"

I always look at our efforts with slugs with relation to Defensive Applications, and I don't see anyone living thru one of these,, at all.

Whereas these would probably be inappropriate against large thick skinned animals due to lack of penetration anything below that is in big trouble. I jsut watched Jurassic Park again this last weekend and I could see uses for lots of Dinosaurs. On the other hand it might not be a good idea to tackle the really big stuff as you might get et?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Yeah I think the Ruskies finally figured out the most devastating slug out there.

I have a saying,,, "Nothing Lives thru a Slug!"

The revised version of that is,,, "Nothing is left after one of these!"

I always look at our efforts with slugs with relation to Defensive Applications, and I don't see anyone living thru one of these,, at all.

Whereas these would probably be inappropriate against large thick skinned animals due to lack of penetration anything below that is in big trouble. I jsut watched Jurassic Park again this last weekend and I could see uses for lots of Dinosaurs. On the other hand it might not be a good idea to tackle the really big stuff as you might get et?

Randy
    I totally agree. With there were such a thing as a ballistic tip slug, this is it. I wouldn’t use these on big hogs, but I’ll sling on at an elk within 50.

Boolit Grand Master

Great report! Congratulate your son for me! Good going! And truer words were never spoken... “Son,” I said, “there’s nothing in these woods bigger than the memories we just made.”

Yes, massive damage!

Have you shot larger animals with any of those segmented Russian slugs? I tend to agree with Randy that with that much fragmentation penetration has to suffer. Maybe not an issue for deer but elk, moose, really large hogs or big bears, I wonder?

I'd like to see accuracy results from a smoothbore. You've certainly demonstrated that they shoot well from rifled guns. I should just order a mould I guess and find out for myself. I like the Grizzly Shock because it gives options for solid/HP and segmented. You did recommend the Twister though.

Anyway, impressive and agreed, you are blessed to spend that kind of quality time with your son. You and he should both be proud!

Longbow

Boolit Master

He’s gonna be a big ole boy too! Looks like that deer swallowed an M-80!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I'd like to see a picture of the mold for these.
    Found it; https://as-molds.com/info/
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 11-29-2021 at 11:24 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    It was a small deer. I’m curious to see what it will do to a mature animal.

30-06 220 grain core lokt full pressure does worse.

However that deer would have been over killed by a 357 pushing a 200 grain hollow point at 1,000fps

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post

However that deer would have been over killed by a 357 pushing a 200 grain hollow point at 1,000fps
    I've seen what a 300 win mag 180 grain does to an adult MN deer. Unless I'm looking at a 50 pound fawn in those pictures, I've never seen a rifle do anything like that to a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post

No 30-06 I know of is gonna give you a 4” entry wound. Lol!

But for this to be compared to a rifle wound is pretty cool in itself. Especially for someone I made and not bought in a store.

Boolit Master
    What was the shot distance?

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    What was the shot distance?
    20 yards.