RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: ? Uses for Solder

Boolit Buddy

Question ? Uses for Solder

I have been deep cleaning my 56 year old reloading room and came across a couple 5lb rolls of Stearine Core Solder, AT 7241B. From what I found searching, it appears to be 35% Tin, 64% Lead and 1% Antinomy.

I have had this since my days in the telecommunications business, when lead sheathed cables were common. It was used for wiping splice closures on the lead cables. I am wondering if smelting this down for the tin will cause any issues when mixed in the lead pot and used to cast boolits.
    I know Stearine is an acid, and if I remember correctly it was derived from the rendering of sheeps wool fat. Any one ever use this? Thanks. GJH
    Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
    Sometimes it is better to just smile and walk away.

You can always tell a Handloader, by his unceasing quest for spent brass.

Boolit Master

I have melted acid core solder with no problems but I was advised that the acid can damage metals and cause rust. I just added some to my melt and fluxed. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Melt is separately and NOT in your casting pot, feed it slowly in......in short lengths and cook the fatty acids out. Wear eye protection and a face shield, and stand up-wind.

Stearine is just stearic acid like used in candle and soap making. Not a dangerous substance like the acids usually found in acid core solder. Electronics soldering cannot use corrosive fluxes, so this it is a non-corrosive natural animal fat flux.

You should end up with ingots of 35% Sn alloy.

Boolit Master
    No personal experience, but I’ve read here that folks will soak up the acid (it floats on the melt, apparently) in sawdust, to be removed before it chars. A couple rounds or more, IIRC.

ETA: I think that’s mainly for stronger mineral acids, now that I’ve read bangerjims post.

It'll work fine, but it's messy, and will want to rust the liner of your pot.

I've done it a few times.
    I start with a pot about 3/4 full, feed it in slow, flux it more than usual, pour off ingots when it gets almost full, and so on.
    Then run the pot on down pretty low, and clean it real well to be sure and get any of the remaining corrosive residue off.

You'll end up with mixed amounts of alloy in the different ingots, but you can re-mix them later when it's all clean.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

You are most fortunate to have access to casting metal that is of KNOWN composition.

Use it wisely.

Cheers,

Dave

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    No personal experience, but I’ve read here that folks will soak up the acid (it floats on the melt, apparently) in sawdust, to be removed before it chars. A couple rounds or more, IIRC.

ETA: I think that’s mainly for stronger mineral acids, now that I’ve read bangerjims post.
    Years ago, I got a bucket with 25 - 30 lbs of various roll solders. I used a sacrificial SS soup pot from the thrift store over a Coleman gas stove for melting fluxed solder to pour ingots. Whether Acid core or resin core, I used sawdust to absorb the acid or resin. While resin isn't dangerous, it sure is messy. The first time I did this (without sawdust), the acid or resin gets cooked on the sides, makes for a stinky process...cuz that acid or rosin just kept cooking and smoking.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys!
    I do my smelting in a separate cast iron pot so there should be no issues with contamination or possible rusting. I will use sawdust to hopefully soak up any stearic acid. Thanks again! GJH
    Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
    Sometimes it is better to just smile and walk away.

You can always tell a Handloader, by his unceasing quest for spent brass.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Years ago, I got a bucket with 25 - 30 lbs of various roll solders. I used a sacrificial SS soup pot from the thrift store over a Coleman gas stove for melting fluxed solder to pour ingots. Whether Acid core or resin core, I used sawdust to absorb the acid or resin. While resin isn't dangerous, it sure is messy. The first time I did this (without sawdust), the acid or resin gets cooked on the sides, makes for a stinky process...cuz that acid or rosin just kept cooking and smoking.
    Thanks, I like the idea of the sacrificial pot. Good idea.

Boolit Master

with that smokey flux.. i'd smelt and flux that stuff in something other than my production pot, then either pour ingots.. or use a muffin pan and pour 'coins'. 10# of solder will give you a NICE stack of coins. Those coins can be added to mixes that need some tin and or antimony. You could divide it say pour 5# as 1/2# ingots and the rest as coins. you could drop an ingot into a pot with range scrap and pure scrap.. like muzzleloader balls.. etc.. and come out with really nice pistol bullet plinker lead..