Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: i'm stoked!... i collect cartridges and just got my crown jewels!

Boolit Master

i'm stoked!... i collect cartridges and just got my crown jewels!

i have a massive collection and always wanted these 3...

2.7mm kolibri
    3mm kolibri
    4.25 Lilput

they are as rare as chicken teeth! ...picked up all 3 at the last gun show. woot!

edited to say this should qualify in this sub forum as they ARE pistol rounds.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Got pics?

Boolit Master

Had to look it up - Kolibri is German for Hummingbird. According to Wikipedia the 2mm Kolibri was the smallest pistol/pistol round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2mm_Kolibri
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Wow, wonder if some other local collection had gone to an estate sale or (the horror) a garage sale.

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations .... those little guys are hard to come by .
    If you can ... a photo of them and a few other "jewels" would be interesting !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

Pictures?

Boolit Grand Master
    You’d better put them in their own velvet lined jewel box just so they won’t get lost! Congratulations on a great score. Were they all in the hands of one dealer with exotic cartridges, or were there three such dealers there at one show?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    You’d better put them in their own velvet lined jewel box just so they won’t get lost! Congratulations on a great score. Were they all in the hands of one dealer with exotic cartridges, or were there three such dealers there at one show?

Froggie
    those three were in the hands of one guy at the wanamaker show in tulsa.....one guy out of 4400 tables.

will try to picture them tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your finds at Tulsa! KUDOS!

I just got my OGCA newsletter,, and in it,, was a story with pics of a pair of miniature guns,, AND some ammo that showed up at a recent show. A Russian "ring gun with 8 pinfire barrels,, and a semi-auto Kolibri pistol, with some ammo. The Kolibri is listed as a 2.7mm. If you wish,, I can send you the page out of my newsletter to add to your collection of stuff. It has some good pics,,,!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Congrats on your finds at Tulsa! KUDOS!

I just got my OGCA newsletter,, and in it,, was a story with pics of a pair of miniature guns,, AND some ammo that showed up at a recent show. A Russian "ring gun with 8 pinfire barrels,, and a semi-auto Kolibri pistol, with some ammo. The Kolibri is listed as a 2.7mm. If you wish,, I can send you the page out of my newsletter to add to your collection of stuff. It has some good pics,,,!
    that would be fine! thank you!
    and as as i agreed to ...here are the pictures !..........

gun pictured is at the claremore oklahoma museum...cartridges are on my desk!
    left is 2.7mm kolibri
    center is 3mm kolibri
    right is 4.25mm lilput

Boolit Master
    PM sent

Boolit Master

That's very cool, and thanks for posting them! Read about them over the years in various editions of COTW, but never seen. Also very cool to see confirmation that the 2.7 and 3mm are NOT the same cartridge, which I hear has been a debate topic in some circles.

How do the primers on those compare to a modern small pistol? That's a bit of cartridge lore I've never properly dug into, but clearly, a lot of WWI / WWII era stuff is not running on what we think of as "standard" primer diameters.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    That's very cool, and thanks for posting them! Read about them over the years in various editions of COTW, but never seen. Also very cool to see confirmation that the 2.7 and 3mm are NOT the same cartridge, which I hear has been a debate topic in some circles.

How do the primers on those compare to a modern small pistol? That's a bit of cartridge lore I've never properly dug into, but clearly, a lot of WWI / WWII era stuff is not running on what we think of as "standard" primer diameters.
    don't know how franz pfannl made the primers , but they are tiny!

my suspicion is that they are made to be like BERDAN style cases with 2 flash holes and a central case anvil. (again "suspicion") never seen one that was fired or apart.

but considering the time frame (circa 1914) BERDAN style primer were certainly in vogue throughout europe. seems logical to me.

Kolibri may be German for hummingbird. Interestingly Colibri is Spanish for hummingbird as well.

Jim