MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Powder adherence problem.

Powder adherence problem.

Last Sunday and today, this Sunday, I did a little casting and powder coating. Something odd though and I’m wondering has anyone else noticed the same thing.
    So, I warmed 3 handfuls of 125 9mm. Then I tumbled in Gloss black powder, which gave pretty good coverage the put them in the oven. But the next 3 handfuls just would not cover in the Gloss Black. Useless, in fact and bad enough to discard.
    Today, the same thing. First batch gave good coverage, second batch useless.
    Has anyone got any observations?

Maybe your powder has absorbed some moisture.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

It might, but one batch was done only 5 or 10 minutes after the first batch. It’s stark…..good coverage, then very poor coverage just minutes apart.

Let me guess, is the powder from Harbor Freight?

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

It’s not Harbour Freight, it Electrostatic Magic, I’m in the UK. The mystery is why a good adherence first batch then poor the next just a short time later? This was the pattern last week also. No plastic balls and I don’t use acetone because both of those were not needed…..the powder adhered.

Boolit Man
    i warm my bullets.
    130 degrees for about 2 minutes.
    I also run a dehumidifer and keep moisture under 40% in my shop.
    Try warming the bullets.

Warming is worth a try and maybe the acetone might help also.

Quote Originally Posted by nagantino View Post
    Warming is worth a try and maybe the acetone might help also.
    I use acetone to get lube off and mix a pinch of the powder in it to get a wash on the lead
    I use HF gun. Did the same with tumble. I have trouble getting to much on rather than not enough..I use everyone’s powder..Never had issues with any of it
    HF..Like Uncle Ollie says. “Good And Cheap”
    NRA Endowment

So I tired a method shown in a youtube video whereby you take a plastic container, squirt some acetone then a spoonful of powder then shake. It didn’t look like his result but I put them in the oven. Horrible, and only fit for recycling. Second attempt I applied the acetone let it evaporate then put the bullets into container with the powder. Perfect adherence and great finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by nagantino View Post
    So I tired a method shown in a youtube video whereby you take a plastic container, squirt some acetone then a spoonful of powder then shake. It didn’t look like his result but I put them in the oven. Horrible, and only fit for recycling. Second attempt I applied the acetone let it evaporate then put the bullets into container with the powder. Perfect adherence and great finished product.
    Acetone turns the bullets dull. Think it allows for better adhesion . Takes lube off after sizing and oils off ones hands..Glad you have a winner.
    NRA Endowment

Boolit Master

You are FAR better iff NOT doing things that cause you to do ANYTHING to them before powder coating...

Cast and coat. Dont touch bueets any more then absolutely necessary.

Im not saying this is a requirement. But your stating problems so lets eliminate any possibilities.

Next, are you scooping powder into a container then adding bullets then more then more then more?

You probably have TOO MUCH powder in the container. Ideally, only use powder required for THAT batch your coating. Dump out remaining powder! Add more powder and bullets and repeat.

Again this is mot a requirement for most. But your having issues so lets eliminate possible issues.

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

You probably have TOO MUCH powder in the container. Ideally, only use powder required for THAT batch your coating. Dump out remaining powder! Add more powder and bullets and repeat.
    Is there a rough formula/ratio for the right amount? i.e. 1/2 teaspoon per 100 rounds or something along those lines. Obviously, the bullet size n type would alter the basic formula. I'm probably asking for proper cloud wrestling instructions, but nothing ventured nothing gained.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Depends on the bullets and how you tumble them.

I almost always have too much powder in my bowl, and I use black BB's. I was guilty of not tossing the powder after a few sessions. I would just add to it. I eventually had coverage issues and I think the 'age' thing is why. Eventually it absorbs too much moisture, even here in the desert.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I would look first for contaminated bullets: Most have this problem due to water droping. Try cleaning the bullets with acetone.

Next old powder or poor choice of powder: Get fresh powder from a quality source and choose one that you know works. This is the reason I RECOMMKEND STARTING OUT WITH SMOKE'S POWDER. All powders will spray, but all will NOT tumble coat.

Not enough static charge being generated: High humidity will kill the necessary static charge, warning the bullets typically fixes this. Use a #5 recycle code plastic to tumble in.and add black plastic Crossman BB's to increase the static charge.

Try one or more and your problem should be solved.