Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunters who aren’t

Boolit Grand Master

Hunters who aren’t

One of the guys at deer camp shot at a deer close to dark last night. Range was 200 yards and he was using 130 gr factory in a .270....I know not cast.

It was snowing so should have been good for tracking if he hit it well. No hair or blood. He searched for about 30 minutes with no luck. I went out with him this morning to help. But we had got about 4” of snow last night so that was not going to help.

After over an hour we gave up. Deer could have been a few from us but nearly impossible to see anyway with the snow cover. Heading back I asked him if he had sighted in his rifle. He said yes...but not very convincingly. Then asked if he had dropped the gun and he said he had knocked the scope on the door getting into the blind.

After I left he checked the gun. Well the gun was shooting 8” high at 100 yards. He told me he had held over at the 200 yard shot and I told him if the gun had been sighted in to hit 2 1/2” high at 100 he would not need any hold over to make a 200 yard shot. Good news is it was likely a clean miss way over the animal. Bad news, it was the biggest 10 point he had ever seen...and did not connect.

He is going to Iowa to hunt next week and he will think he will have the scope dialed in before his big hunt. Bad news....if he was telling the truth, either his scope or mounts are the problem. I am seeing him later and will try to help....but some people are hard to help.

Hunters who harvest deer at short range can be successful with mediocre loads, in mediocre rifles with mediocre marksmanship skills. Too many “hunters” read about downing deer at 300+ yards and start to believe they can make long shots without doing a good job of sighting in, plenty of trigger time, and understanding trajectory tables. Hunters who aren’t....

BTW, my buddy shot a one shot group to determine his rifle is shooting 8” high....yep...ammo is darn expensive.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    After shooting for 60+ years you are telling me I have to sight my gun in. Darn is that why I missed that dog at 10 feet!!!

Boolit Master

If he is coming to Iowa next week to hunt a 270 is not allowed for deer…shotgun/straight walled rifle only.

From DNR site.
    Legal firearms for the youth/disabled and shotgun 1 and 2 seasons include:

Pistols and revolvers (with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches)
    Straight-wall and "necked-down" cartridge rifles shooting an expanding type bullet of at least .350 inches and no greater than .500 inches with at least 500 foot pounds of muzzle energy.
    This includes, but is not limited to, the following common calibers: .35 Whelen, .350 Legend, .358 Winchester, .375 Winchester, .40 S&W, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 Long Colt, .45 Raptor, .450 Bushmaster, .450 Marlin, .45-70 Govt, .460 S&W and .500 S&W
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

USMC 77, USRA 79

wow... thats a lot of regulation!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    “A 1 shot group”

3 is the absolute minimum. Too high a probability that something was off to adjust for just 1 shot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    “A 1 shot group”

3 is the absolute minimum. Too high a probability that something was off to adjust for just 1 shot.
    Now why would you spoil a good group by firing more rounds? He paid $60/box and is not wasting ammo...lol.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    everyone know it aint a group unless it's 5 shots
    for even better you need 25
    spend it you can't take it with ya
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Now why would you spoil a good group by firing more rounds? He paid $60/box and is not wasting ammo...lol.
    We all know that if it was bore-sighted at bass pro shops that means the sights are on target!!

Put that meat on the table!!

Ok there's no reason to prove something that you know... it's on target if you do your part

My shooting buddy tried making sense of how he missed a bunch of big deer on the a trip, even worse, in front of in law family.

He was holding over...because 30-30 drops like a rock. If the rifle is bore sighted on at 50 yards he's gotta hold over about two feet at 100 yards... right?

There's no reason to shoot groups, it's been bore-sighted!

(This nonsense thinking makes me lose my mind lol)

He understands now to find out for himself and tagged a nice doe yesterday.

Boolit Grand Master

Care to share what brand scope it was? I wouldn't hunt with a scope unless I could drop the whole rifle and trust the sights were still perfect.

Banned
    You do understand that most people who claim to be hunters arent hunters.. most of them arent even shooters..

MANY people hunt simply to piss off the neighbor, or to have an excuse to get away from the wife more.

And EVERY dear that gets "missed or lost" is ALWAYS a 10 point, just like how everyone in prison is always innocent

Banned

had to laugh last year. Dad is 90 and thinks hes going to die every day so he gave the grandsons his guns and borrowed one of mine. I set him up with my 308 kimber montana with a 2x7 leupold on it. He has allways tilted his guns when he shoots and adjusted his scope for it even though i tried to show him the light. Well he shot a 8 pointer at 50 yards and was aiming behind the shoulder and hit it in the neck. Killed the deer but swore he was aiming behind the shoulder. He gave me the gun back and i didnt think much of it. This summer i wanted to try some more load development with it and took it to the range. When i put it to my shoulder the crosshairs were at about a 45 degree angle. He actually loosened the screws and tilted the scope and tightened them back up and didnt even shoot it to see where it was hitting. When i asked him about it he said "ive done it before and never had a problem" Probably got away with it because most of the deer shot up here are at under 50 yards. He borrowed the gun this year again and i told him id cut his fingers off if he even touched a dial on the scope. Youd think after 80 years of shooting deer hed know better. But hes never been a shooter and hes tighter with his money then anyone i know. It pains him to waste a single shell every year sighting in his gun. He had a 308 blr i bought him when he retired 30 years ago. He bought 3 boxes of fed premium 165s for it then and gave my nephew a box and a half two years ago when he gave him the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    If he is coming to Iowa next week to hunt a 270 is not allowed for deer…shotgun/straight walled rifle only.

From DNR site.
    Legal firearms for the youth/disabled and shotgun 1 and 2 seasons include:

Pistols and revolvers (with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches)
    Straight-wall and "necked-down" cartridge rifles shooting an expanding type bullet of at least .350 inches and no greater than .500 inches with at least 500 foot pounds of muzzle energy.
    This includes, but is not limited to, the following common calibers: .35 Whelen, .350 Legend, .358 Winchester, .375 Winchester, .40 S&W, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 Long Colt, .45 Raptor, .450 Bushmaster, .450 Marlin, .45-70 Govt, .460 S&W and .500 S&W
    You beat me to it , I was going to say the same . Too many think what they can use in their state they can use in other states ,they do not want to check the laws of the state they will hunt.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Well I need to hang my head in shame����. Here is my story of embarrassment. I happened to be looking out the kitchen window one morning during deer season and saw a nice sized Doe limping across my back yard. It layed down about 30 yards from the corner of the garage. I grabbed my SBH with a scope in 44mag and grabbed some loads that were handy at the time. Lee 310 gr with ? amount of IMR 4227. I MISSED AT 30YRDS.����. WTH!!!! After she got and limped away, she stopped and offered me another shot. Aiming a little lower, figuring I shot high, she dropped like a rock. My wife and I were about to leave at that moment, my son and Grandkids said they would take care of the deer. Got a phone call a little later ,my son said the deer was not were it fell and the Grandkids said they saw it trotting down the fence line. He check for blood at both sites and found nothing. Apparently someone had wounded it earlier in the leg. Looking at how and why I missed, I found that I missed high right at the first shot. Was it me or the un-sighted in load, I don't know. Why it dropped at the second shot and got up and walked away leaving no sign of being hit is a total mystery, but I at least I know I didn't wound it further and at the same time, being mad at myself for not ending its pain. After analyzing everything, 20/20 hindsite said I should have grabbed my 357 that I have shot a lot more than the 44. What is confusing me is if I had hit it with the second shot with a Lee 310 and it dropped, why no blood and no deer.
    Last edited by ubetcha; 11-29-2021 at 11:35 AM.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    Thats easy ,brand new 6in snow /8 pt quartering in 83 yds with 5 doe and a 6pt . My 54 Renegade /530 RB /80 gr of OE 3F broke near shoulder stopped behind off shoulder under the hide . Across the field draggin that front leg (watched )it run in the woods and went up to where it stood (NO BLOOD) and no hair followed into the neighbors woods another 100 maybe yards and found the deer layed up against a cedar tree in a pool of blood (the only blood) on that 6 inch of new snow ! The point is if you did not follow up you don"t know what you hit ! / Ed
    Last edited by Edward; 12-07-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    We did follow it. Every spot it had stopped and bedded down showed no blood. By the time we got to the last spot we saw it lay down, we could no long determine which way it went. Unfortunately we lost it. We had no snow either.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    You beat me to it , I was going to say the same . Too many think what they can use in their state they can use in other states ,they do not want to check the laws of the state they will hunt.
    In the guy's defense, who in their right mind would ever think a 270 Winchester would not be legal for deer in any state? Iowa, Illinois (big surprise), and Ohio are the only three states in the nation that don't allow 270 Winchester, except for a few special zones in a few states of course.

Iowa by far has the most convoluted and idiotic firearms regulations for deer in the nation, bar none. They allow some "Common Calibers", which is a list of the most obscure cartridges ever conceived, nobody outside of Iowa has ever heard of 90% of them.

Boolit Master
    I love it "ammunition is expensive" !

Each year I recheck the sight in's on everything I anticipate using during deer season . I even repattern the shotguns with buckshot , slugs and punkin balls .

My point being I expend far far more rounds on sight in than I do shooting at deer . And knock on wood so far this season I've fired four times and have killed four deer none going over 50 yards after the shot .

But I've only been doing this for 50 years , go figure LOL's !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Moderator Emeritus

I have been out of IMR 4064 for a couple of years and was down to 26 rounds. I loaded up some 165 gr instead of 150 in 308 then worked up a load. I shot three rounds with the old load and saw that the most accurate load was low by 2 " and 1" right. I then shot two does and a buck for the year. Practice rounds fired were three and shots on game were three. The old IMR load should last a couple more seasons at that rate.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have been out of IMR 4064 for a couple of years and was down to 26 rounds. I loaded up some 165 gr instead of 150 in 308 then worked up a load. I shot three rounds with the old load and saw that the most accurate load was low by 2 " and 1" right. I then shot two does and a buck for the year. Practice rounds fired were three and shots on game were three. The old IMR load should last a couple more seasons at that rate.
    Keep your eyes open, chances are you'll be able to acquire some more 4064 before you run out. I was down to my last 200 SRP. Enter Brownells last week with them in stock. While things aren't common, they aren't unavailable. Some people say that they are going to hold out and not pay these high prices. Thats fine, but with the number of imported components involved in their production, a weakening dollar, I don't believe we will ever go back to 'the good ol' days' from 2019 and earlier.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    In the guy's defense, who in their right mind would ever think a 270 Winchester would not be legal for deer in any state? Iowa, Illinois (big surprise), and Ohio are the only three states in the nation that don't allow 270 Winchester, except for a few special zones in a few states of course.

Iowa by far has the most convoluted and idiotic firearms regulations for deer in the nation, bar none. They allow some "Common Calibers", which is a list of the most obscure cartridges ever conceived, nobody outside of Iowa has ever heard of 90% of them.
    I agree…having said that a few years ago only shotgun was allowed…progress. Hope it continues and expect so.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast