Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunters who aren’t

Banned

about half of michigan is straight case zones. Like was said if you dont know the laws where you hunt your an idiot and if you think you have the right to break them because your right and everyone else is wrong then id get booted off here for giving my opinion of that. If you dont like the laws stay home or work to change them.

Over the years of visiting gun stores across the country I have seen some hilarious rifle / scope combinations for sale. Scopes mounted with hose clamps, wire, wood shims and tape and even wood screws ! When I see these I usually don’t ask a employee , what is this ?? I am just surprised that they put some of these guns on the for sale rack as is, If I took one on trade I would strip off all of the stupid looking bubba stuff and sell the gun looking like a gun instead of a hillbilly nightmare. To me even seeing a rifle with the old tip off mounts make me cringe knowing how easy they get knocked out of kilter.
    I see a lot of this kind of stuff even on gunbroker for sale, just makes me laugh. ��

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Back when I was shooting bigger competitions around the country, I got to know a few people directly connected to major arms companies and some who worked for the NSSF. If what they are saying is true, and I have no doubt to believe otherwise, the “average hunter” is someone who shoots fewer than two boxes of any kind of ammo a year and this group of “hunters” buys about ninety-eight percent of all ammo sold in this country. For most people out in the woods hunting, it’s a social activity at best. I’ve seen people I know and like take as few as three shots to sight in their gun…the first one too high, the second shot too low, and maybe if all the stars line up just right, the third shot goes somewhere near the center of the piece of paper they’re shooting at. It’s “good enough”. Just go to any gun club a day or two before the season and watch all the shooters getting their guns ready for opening day. It’s not a pretty sight.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Back when I was shooting bigger competitions around the country, I got to know a few people directly connected to major arms companies and some who worked for the NSSF. If what they are saying is true, and I have no doubt to believe otherwise, the “average hunter” is someone who shoots fewer than two boxes of any kind of ammo a year and this group of “hunters” buys about ninety-eight percent of all ammo sold in this country. For most people out in the woods hunting, it’s a social activity at best. I’ve seen people I know and like take as few as three shots to sight in their gun…the first one too high, the second shot too low, and maybe if all the stars line up just right, the third shot goes somewhere near the center of the piece of paper they’re shooting at. It’s “good enough”. Just go to any gun club a day or two before the season and watch all the shooters getting their guns ready for opening day. It’s not a pretty sight.
    100% correctomundo!!!

My property neighbors the 240+ acre hunt camp I am an "honorary" member of. I have a nice range off my back porch out to 200 yards and a shooting bench set up. (Yes, it is heaven on earth for a shooter)

Every year, I tell the guys to come over to sight in their rifles and I will help them set up scopes and dial in the most effective point-blank range (everything from .450's to .300 Mags). This year only one guy asked for help. He had purchased a new scope for his rifle and needed help installing it and sighting in. NONE of the others even checked their rifles. One was the guy who was shooting 8" high at 100 yards.

We have a work bee in August to put in food plots and you would think they would take a bit of time to get the job done but it rarely happens. None are members of a gun club, so I doubt they sight in anywhere else.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    We have sight-in days at our club range, for out-of-state people to make sure their rifles are still sighted in. Have seen a lot of things while helping.
    One guy had a custom rifle and a Swarovski scope. Shooting at 100yds, he was hitting 2" low. Said that was good enough. I asked him what he was going to shoot and how far? He was elk hunting and expected to shoot on at about 500yds. Suggested he raise point of impact to 3" above center @100yds. Nope, what he had was good enough and he cased the rifle and left.

Boolit Master
    Some countries in Europe (Scandinavian) actually make you take a proficiency test to get a hunting license. I wonder what would happen if we did that here? I’m not saying to get a gun, just to hunt with it. FWIW, the proficiency test isn’t all that hard. Still, I bet we’d have a lot of failures.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    We have sight-in days at our club range, for out-of-state people to make sure their rifles are still sighted in. Have seen a lot of things while helping.
    One guy had a custom rifle and a Swarovski scope. Shooting at 100yds, he was hitting 2" low. Said that was good enough. I asked him what he was going to shoot and how far? He was elk hunting and expected to shoot on at about 500yds. Suggested he raise point of impact to 3" above center @100yds. Nope, what he had was good enough and he cased the rifle and left.
    talk about needing sighting in.

i was in my tree blind on the first day of deer season this year. i was using my husky m46 in 9.3x57 with a 275gr wfn gc and imr4895. i'm a meat hunter, not an antler collector. i was looking for a good sized doe to fill my freezer. as i was sitting there, it occurred to me, did i shoot my gun? looking back over 6 months, i have shot 7.65x53(3 of them), 30 remington, 500 linebaugh, 35/30, 30-40 krag.........but no 9.3x57. my gunsmith had it to change the cock on closing to cock on opening, but i never checked the sighting in.

then a good sized doe showed up at 35 yards and i let it go. i sat there for couple hours and i seen 5 more does that i could shoot, but didn't. i go home and the first thing i did was to set up gun at my 50 yard range. i find out that the gun needed sighted in. it was 4" to the right and 8" low. i dialed it in, shot another group and it was dead on at 50 yards. the next day, i went to the shop and sighted it in at 100 yards.

i did get a fork horn buck(yes, i am disabled) that dressed out at 163lbs. it was with my win m94 and williams fp sight in 35/30 with 200gr fn gc with 2400/tuft of dacron. i took him at 50ish yards behind the shoulder and he jogged about 15 yards till he died.

Something similar or worse happens in the country where I live. Anyone who can acquire a rifle and kill an animal is already considered a hunter. And it is approved in most hunting forums, since they say that everyone hunts as they see fit. There is nothing further from the definition of hunter than that. That is something that bothers me. Regarding the control of the rifle-scope equipment, an old hunter taught me that out of a box of 20 cartridges, 15 are for practice and 5 for hunting.
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Some countries in Europe (Scandinavian) actually make you take a proficiency test to get a hunting license. I wonder what would happen if we did that here? I’m not saying to get a gun, just to hunt with it. FWIW, the proficiency test isn’t all that hard. Still, I bet we’d have a lot of failures.
    Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    talk about needing sighting in.

i was in my tree blind on the first day of deer season this year. i was using my husky m46 in 9.3x57 with a 275gr wfn gc and imr4895. i'm a meat hunter, not an antler collector. i was looking for a good sized doe to fill my freezer. as i was sitting there, it occurred to me, did i shoot my gun? looking back over 6 months, i have shot 7.65x53(3 of them), 30 remington, 500 linebaugh, 35/30, 30-40 krag.........but no 9.3x57. my gunsmith had it to change the cock on closing to cock on opening, but i never checked the sighting in.

then a good sized doe showed up at 35 yards and i let it go. i sat there for couple hours and i seen 5 more does that i could shoot, but didn't. i go home and the first thing i did was to set up gun at my 50 yard range. i find out that the gun needed sighted in. it was 4" to the right and 8" low. i dialed it in, shot another group and it was dead on at 50 yards. the next day, i went to the shop and sighted it in at 100 yards.

i did get a fork horn buck(yes, i am disabled) that dressed out at 163lbs. it was with my win m94 and williams fp sight in 35/30 with 200gr fn gc with 2400/tuft of dacron. i took him at 50ish yards behind the shoulder and he jogged about 15 yards till he died.
    Excellent decision. Congratulations...
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JLF View Post
    Excellent decision. Congratulations...
    thank you!!!!!

Boolit Master
    So Iowa has a law where a 357mag or a 358Norma is legal but a 270 or a 30/30 isn't. What am I missing here that makes any sense?

This year I hunted with a long time friend that is usually anal about his hunting and spends days preparing for a hunt. This year he is moving and in the process doesn't have his normal hunting gear at his new home. He grabs his 30/06 that was his first rifle and hasn't been shot in years and heads to the woods. Second day in his tree stand a 4 point (western count) buck wanders into his shooting lane at about 200yds and he makes a complete miss. It was a couple of days before we could go out again so he sets up a target at 50yds and completely misses a target on an 8"x10" piece of paper. A few more rounds and he gets it centered and moves to 100yds for final sight in. About that time he remembers he had changed scopes on this rifle a few years back and forgot to rezero the gun. It was off about two feet at 50 yds. I'll be sure to remind him of this at every opportunity. It will be good for a friendly jab for quite a while.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 12-10-2021 at 01:39 PM.

Banned
    and some of those countries require a 20,000 $ "permit" by leaseing a place to shoot on.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    and some of those countries require a 20,000 $ "permit" by leaseing a place to shoot on.
    Doesn’t have anything to do with proficiency with their gun. Either you can shoot it or you can’t. An ethical hunter should at least be able to put a bullet in the vitals with some degree of certainty. I’d like to know which countries “require” a $20,000 permit to hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    So Iowa has a law where a 357mag or a 358Norma is legal but a 270 or a 30/30 isn't. What am I missing here that makes any sense?

This year I hunted with a long time friend that is usually anal about his hunting and spends days preparing for a hunt. This year he is moving and in the process doesn't have his normal hunting gear at his new home. He grabs his 30/06 that was his first rifle and hasn't been shot in years and heads to the woods. Second day in his tree stand a 4 point (western count) buck wanders into his shooting lane at about 200yds and he makes a complete miss. It was a couple of days before we could go out again so he sets up a target at 50yds and completely misses a target on an 8"x10" piece of paper. A few more rounds and he gets it centered and moves to 100yds for final sight in. About that time he remembers he had changed scopes on this rifle a few years back and forgot to rezero the gun. It was off about two feet at 50 yds. I'll be sure to remind him of this at every opportunity. It will be good for a friendly jab for quite a while.
    From my understanding is that with the straight wall cartridge that is most of them will not go as far as many of of the bottle neck ones. But the funny thing is some of the ones they say you can use can go as far. It is the ones that write the laws thinking.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Doesn’t have anything to do with proficiency with their gun. Either you can shoot it or you can’t. An ethical hunter should at least be able to put a bullet in the vitals with some degree of certainty. I’d like to know which countries “require” a $20,000 permit to hunt?
    He's talking about needing a place/lease to hunt ! Ain't got the coin ,you don't hunt (HENCE) a rich mans sport not available to us red necks/Ed

Boolit Buddy
    Rbuch351 it is a 35 Whelen not a 358 Norma. Laws are made by the unknowing for the knowing. It started with hands being required to shoot a bullet.357 or larger. It was then carried over to rifles. One change this year was to lower diameter to .350 for Winchester's screwups to be OK. The .357 was to keep 9mm out. Now there is a case leingth minimum and a foot pounds minimum that also keeps 9mm out.
    Steve

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I do wonder if the legislators and bureaucrats are paid by the word count.

I shot a 8 point with a 12 gauge at about 15 yards and then I tracked it about 500yds before loosing the blood trail. Found it a week later when I saw the buzzards flying around it. Sometimes things just happen. I got excited and ran at it as soon as I fired and never even thought about it not being dead instantly. Good luck with all your future endeavors.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123