MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is There A Ready Source For Tin?

Boolit Buddy

Is There A Ready Source For Tin?

As my question must be a fairly common one I did do a search before posting. Is there a common hopefully local source for tin? Some type of solder maybe?

Just started using a new NOE 4-cavity 160gr 30 caliber mold. Granted the mold is new but 99% of the boolits have wrinkles and 50% the GC base not filling out. I watched the lead and mold temps closely over a range of temps (NOE says <600f for the mold) but saw no improvement. The lead is the same batch of WW ingots I've been casting good quality, large caliber boolits from for years.

Before giving my new mold another go I thought I might add 2% tin to the pot first.

Boolit Grand Master

Lead free solder from the home center or plumbing supply if you have deep pockets and no patience.

Pewter or solder sales here if you have a bit more time to wait.

Pewter from thrift stores and yard sales if you have time and enjoy the hunt.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

And heat the pot up some. 600 degrees is cold.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Food service grade pewter from junk stores and yard sales as many on here find. Leadfree solder but it is rather expensive.

There are many threads on here about finding pewter. Do a detailed search.

And there is always the "for sale" section on here. And of course, Rotometals at the top of the page.

Boolit Buddy
    Rotometals is a good source for known quality alloy.

Boolit Master

I've had success buying lead free solder from e-bay. It's been a while but around $17/lb is what I remember. You may have to buy a few rolls to get the best price.
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    And heat the pot up some. 600 degrees is cold.
    600 was NOE's recommendation for max mold heat, ran the pot up 750 at one point.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a PID controlled pot, and lately I have been casting between 740 and 800. I smelt at lower temperatures to keep zinc from contaminating the lead, but that is in a completely different pot. When casting heat is your friend to ensure good mold fill out and no wrinkles. The only reason why I don’t just stick to 800 is because of shrinkage while cooling. For molds that I know cast a nice fat boolit, I don’t stress about heat, but for the few that cast a little on the smaller side, I try to keep down around 740.

I agree, turn pot up to 800 and ensure you are leaving a large puddle on top of the sprue plate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scottnc View Post
    As my question must be a fairly common one I did do a search before posting. Is there a common hopefully local source for tin? Some type of solder maybe?

Just started using a new NOE 4-cavity 160gr 30 caliber mold. Granted the mold is new but 99% of the boolits have wrinkles and 50% the GC base not filling out. I watched the lead and mold temps closely over a range of temps (NOE says <600f for the mold) but saw no improvement. The lead is the same batch of WW ingots I've been casting good quality, large caliber boolits from for years.

Before giving my new mold another go I thought I might add 2% tin to the pot first.
    You can get 95/5 tin/antimony solder in rolls, last time I got some was several years ago, it was $25 a pound. Tain't cheap, but if you can't find anything else, and you don't need a lot of it, for most things a bit of antimony won't hurt. Sometimes you can find 50/50 tin/lead plumbers solder, and that's not usually cheap, either, but it's a good choice if you need a bunch more tin. Usually comes in 5lb bars, IIRC. I got some when I bought my 33lbs of mostly lead pipe a year or so ago. Maybe two years? Some junk yards will sell to you, some places. Just have to go and see what you can see, and hope they'll sell to you.

Bill

Boolit Master

Did you scrub the mold with dish soap and then brake cleaner? Even doing this, I have some new molds hold onto some machining oil for quite a while. Or any chance you got sprue plate/pivot lube in the cavities?

Venting could also be an issue, but I doubt it.

Boolit Master
    Preheat that mold good and hot. I do mine on the glass top stove while my pot heats up.

Moderator Emeritus

Look at garage sales and such for half rolls of solder, etc. I have never had the luck folks have of finding pewter. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Look at garage sales and such for half rolls of solder, etc. I have never had the luck folks have of finding pewter. Good luck.
    My cousin hits garage sales and auctions regularly and keeps me well supplied with lead free solder, 95% Tin. He has never paid more than a couple of bucks a roll for it.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Lead free solder from the home center or plumbing supply if you have deep pockets and no patience.

Pewter or solder sales here if you have a bit more time to wait.

Pewter from thrift stores and yard sales if you have time and enjoy the hunt.
    I think that about covers it!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Babbit is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    Rotometals is a good source for known quality alloy.
    ^^THIS^^ They have sales all the time. Though a trip to the local radiator repair might get you a few # of drippings.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Mold
    It has been said, but I also use Rotometals for casting materials. Very reliable fast shipping, and excellent quality. You get what you want from them.

If you're local scrap yards sell lead to you then you don't need to look any further for all your lead/tin needs. I take in my scrap metals and trade for the lead they have laying around. I needed some pure lead and grabbed the bucket while I was at it that had sticks of 50/50 tin/lead in it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Another 165# of lead from the scrap yard. As you can see there's always a mix of things to grab/buy/trade for.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Craigs list is another good place to find lead/tin/etc. Put a running add in it. The local scrap yards were paying $.10 a # several years ago & I put an ad in craigs list paying $.25 a #. Didn't take long to take the add down & made good $$$ selling the extra off.

Boolit Master
    I use 95-5 solder at work it is now 45.00 dollars a pound . Just like most stuff lately it has gotten out of hand in the price department.

Boolit Master
    600 was NOE's recommendation for max mold heat, ran the pot up 750 at one point.
    I think the mold itself is not to get hotter than 600 degrees. Pure lead won't even melt at 600 degrees, if my memory serves me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast