Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greatest thing since sliced bread...

Boolit Master

Greatest thing since sliced bread...

I was at Home Depot today and looking for the old time giant C9 bulb Christmas lights from my youth and stumbled across this little device...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-...T-42/301844750

Attachment 292311

I plugged in my Christmas lights to it and can now turn them off when I go to bed using a remote control, rather than having to go outside and unplug them. They had the timer as well, but this was $10 and seemed easier.

Was just about ready to turn in and realized the lights were still on. So, picked up the remote and pressed a button and they switched off. Amazing! I'm sure these have been around for years, but I had never gotten one before and am amazed at how nice it is to just push a button to turn off the Christmas lights and display.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

What will they think of next?

Marvellous stuff.... but, I often wonder what was the best thing before sliced bread...
    May we achieve our aims....

Thanks Idaho, what a great idea. My problem is if I go to HD for just this one thing, I'll end up there for 2 hours and a bunch of stuff I didn't realize I needed.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

When our house was built we had outlets put under the eves and switches inside for them. Have one on the front and on the back and it’s great to turn the lights off with a switch. Only thing I regret is not having them on all four corners.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill 7 View Post
    When our house was built we had outlets put under the eves and switches inside for them. Have one on the front and on the back and it’s great to turn the lights off with a switch. Only thing I regret is not having them on all four corners.
    Very good idea!
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

I have this one;
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Woods-15...47WD/203638967
    The lights come on at dark, and you can set how long they stay on after that. I set mine for 6 hours. They come on about 5;30 and turn off around 11:00.
    For indoors, we have this set up;
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DE...0002/317577922
    Plug the receivers into various outlets around the house and the remote controls those outlets. We use it for the floor lamp, christmas tree, and the entertainment center.
    Deplorable infidel

I have been using a simple timer like this for many years. Comes on at dusk and you set how many hours you want it to stay on. 2/4/6/8/dawn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light timer.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	292316
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I got similar item from HD a number if years ago. Had 4 or 5 on their sale shelf and when I scanned to pay, they came up fir a penny each. I got all they had and gave away several. I use to control not only lights, but can turn on and off any device that is below 1500watts. Such as vaccum in shop and fans. Mine also have a couple of settings like dusk to dawn and 2 hour timer.
    But I do like sliced bread with a bit of Turkey better

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Name:	9CA276E4-1AE7-409B-A248-EF0ADC05C072.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	292317
    Been using the remotes for years. Great way to inflate my Homers. Doh!

Moderator Emeritus

I've used them for years. Actually giving away three decent sized boxes of Christmas lights to my gf's daughters. One of the boxes has numerous boxes of brand new lights that I never used. I don't put up outside decorations or lights where I am at as I don't like to advertise someone lives out here.

Boolit Master
    I had some folks that bought a mid century modern (we just called them houses in the mid century days) call to say they had no power to the outlets on the front deck/porch/entryway. It was a real fixer upper. The contractor couldn't figure what was going on with that circuit. After crawling and climbing for 3 hours, I made my way to the 6 gang switch box by the front door. Next to the last switch activated that circuit. One of those mid century modern timing devices.

The following Christmas I got a call from them. Lights on the front deck/porch/entryway wouldn't work. I head into town, flip the switch like a mid century man would do and the lights come on as if by magic. I had other stuff to fix so no big deal. White oak limb had bent the aluminum handrail of the back deck. It's that powder coated aluminum and and stainless cable stuff. $400 for the rail dropped shipped to their front door. Treated 2x6 at the local lumber yard was $8.

Anyway, I'm waiting for my front deck/porch/entryway mid century modern timer call since Christmas is right around the corner.

Moderator Emeritus

My Kubota tractor has an installed block heater. With yesterday's high temp of ~25*F, and the mercury dipping down to +11*F overnight -- this may be the time to plug it in. But... to gimp out in snow/ice to plug it in for an hour or two before use? Hey -- I can't wait to get to a Home Depot and purchase one of these! One outlet will go to the tractor block heater, and the 2nd to a 110V LED plugged in light bulb -- so I know when heater is on/off.
    Thanks for this (hopefully!) great note!
    geo

Boolit Master

I have used a remote ON/OFF switch to control the light bulb heater for my well head plumbing. Light's on, heat's on. I use those multi switch boxes with remote for lamps in the living room. There is a remote in the kitchen, one zip tied to my headboard and one in my desk drawer. I can light the way through the house from any entry.
    Last edited by Nueces; 11-28-2021 at 03:33 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife and I put up a small display. When we first did for a few years I would go out in the garage and unplug it. Then one day at my local hardware store I spotted this photocell/timer device. It turns them on when it gets dark and you can set the timer to up to 7/9 hours or all night. I usally set it for 7 hours. Been doing this for about 6 years now. Works perfectly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GRid.1569 View Post
    Marvellous stuff.... but, I often wonder what was the best thing before sliced bread...
    Just having bread in those days was pretty terrific all by itself...

I went wireless a few years ago - google for "Kasa" switches. They connect to your home wifi and you can control them with a cellphone and even program on- and off-times. That is how it started - now we got the complete house integrated into a home automation system (Hubitat) with motion sensors that when I go to the basement, the light turns automatically on (and off after 5 minutes unless there is still motion), bedroom fan turns on above a set temperature (and off below that setpoint), Christmas tree inside the house switches on at 7 am and off at 11:30 pm and so on Almost as much fun as going to the range.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    My Kubota tractor has an installed block heater. With yesterday's high temp of ~25*F, and the mercury dipping down to +11*F overnight -- this may be the time to plug it in. But... to gimp out in snow/ice to plug it in for an hour or two before use? Hey -- I can't wait to get to a Home Depot and purchase one of these! One outlet will go to the tractor block heater, and the 2nd to a 110V LED plugged in light bulb -- so I know when heater is on/off.
    Thanks for this (hopefully!) great note!
    geo
    Forgive me if you already know this, but just be sure that your block heater's amperage draw doesn't exceed the rating on the remote receptacle. It's not unusual for some of those heaters to pull 1200-1500 watts. The switch listed in the link, and many others like it, will only power 1000 watts.
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    I went wireless a few years ago - google for "Kasa" switches. They connect to your home wifi and you can control them with a cellphone and even program on- and off-times. That is how it started - now we got the complete house integrated into a home automation system (Hubitat) with motion sensors that when I go to the basement, the light turns automatically on (and off after 5 minutes unless there is still motion), bedroom fan turns on above a set temperature (and off below that setpoint), Christmas tree inside the house switches on at 7 am and off at 11:30 pm and so on Almost as much fun as going to the range.
    I have several different options but I’ve switched to the “smart” timers that Costco sells for $20/2pk. They similarly tie into your wifi and can be activated via phone where you have an app where you can set timers. You can also tie into your Google or Alexis smart speakers so I can just say, “turn off Christmas lights” and it’s done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I have been using a simple timer like this for many years. Comes on at dusk and you set how many hours you want it to stay on. 2/4/6/8/dawn.

Name:	light timer.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	292316
    We have this one as well, works great for our needs.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast