Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything PBcastco

Thread: Removing A BOSS

Boolit Master

Removing A BOSS

I just got a Winchester 70 in 30-06 , factory box , a mounted Leupold scope and 17 rounds & 3 empty cases in a factory box
    From what I was told , my Uncle shot the 3 shots the out of the rifle and put it away
    The rifle looks like it is brand new

A early Christmas gift to me from them as I hunt and will use it

It has a BOSS on it
    I would like to remove it
    Is there a thread protector made , designed to protect the threads ?

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    I don't know if Browning still sells them or not but they use to offer a replacement that didn't have all the vent holes in it and they were a lot quieter option.

Boolit Grand Master

It's been years since I worked on one but IF I remember correctly it should be 9/16"-24 threads
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-28-2021 at 01:01 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I should be able to make one, just need to know what size thread you need.

Moderator Emeritus

My old A-Bolt had one and it came with a tread protector when you took the BOSS off for hunting....dont remember the thread count.....cant tell you as I got older and dont like the heavy recoil of .338 Win....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Thanks

Sorry I was away for a bit
    Had to deal with a multi day Migraine
    So I had to spend a few days in the hospital to get IV pain meds ..... Not fun

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Mold
    Sorry to hear about your migraine. I had a Browning BAR with the BOSS, an early one that had the compensator cut into it. Muzzle blast was horrible hunting, tolerable at the range with muffs on. A few years later they came out with a blank sleeve that replaced the compensator sleeve and it really quoted the rifle down, although more kick was noticed.

I’d recommend finding the blank sleeve and keep the system OEM intact. The weighted end piece correspond to the hash marks in the barrel, and you could tune the rifle to the loads, instead of the loads to the rifle. I remember had a bench shooter friend that played with the rifle and he got it down to under 1/2” groups at 100 yards with factory ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Forgot to ad the BAR was a 30.06

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk