Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Redding Powder Measure Missing Parts

Redding Powder Measure Missing Parts

What model is this, and do any of y’all know what I need to complete it? Or maybe someone has the rest laying around and would like to part with it!
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Banned
    You need a cast iron cap and the adjustable drop tube. It is the same system as the Belding and Mull. This was not a popular measure and few were sold, finding that tube may be akin to finding a winning Power Ball ticket at your local Get & Go.

Boolit Grand Master

Ken, is it a standard size tube aka Belding and Mull, or is it unique and difficult to make?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    It is larger than B&M, I won't have time till after church to get the actual size and picture.

Boolit Master
    Once you get the dimensions from pressman, the tubes might be easily made.
    I made these for my B&M measure. I scrounged up the two sizes of brass tubing, only needed to drill out the thicker pieces to fit the smaller tubing for soldering. I used a lathe to make the aluminum insert, but since only the top of the insert needs to be a precise fit in the tube, a drill press and files could probably be used.

PS. Forgot to add- you might check the auto parts store for a freeze plug that fits your hopper to use as a cap.

Boolit Grand Master

The tube may be hard to get but making one shouldnt be to hard to do.
    Online metals.com has a large selection of seamless brass tubing sold in 1 foot lengths. along with brass and steel rods

What you need to do is measure the opening in the measure and gets its size close.
    Go to OLM do a search for brass tubing in the od you want. 1 foot will be 4-5 dollars make note of the id.
    now do a search for cold roll steel rod in the dia of the ID of the tube. Again this will be 3-5 dollars. these 2 pieces are 1 foot long so enough for 3-4 tubes
    Stop buy the local hardware store and pick up some stop collars to fit the large tube and a tube of JB weld.
    If you want fine adjust get fine threaded rod in the tubes id dia.

Tools you will need basic are a tubing cutter, some files and sand paper a drill bit tap drill or the set screw hole in the stop collar and some sandpaper. a square.

Cut the tubing to length deburr and square edges. use the stop collar on the tube for a Guide.
    fit the rod to the tube nice sliding fit. square the ends

Cost the brass tubing inside with several coats of wax.

Mix the JB weld to instructions and glue the stop collar on one end of the tubes then insert rid leave about 1/2" below end of tube and form end from jb weld. let cure
    drill the setscrew hole thru and tap if desired

clean well final polish and deburr.

On the solid rods I file a small flat the length of the rod for the set screw on threaded no set screw is needed a lock nut can be used to hold it jammed against the stop collar.

These look good the dia of the stop collar makes a good grip surface and are adjustable. With the 3 or 4 you get from tube you can even dedicate a couple to favorite loads.

If you want a concave face a bearing ball or dowel with the radius on the end can be used to form it in the JB weld.

When cutting cut lightly as any crush has to be removed. fit together before gluing. You can usually ind the tubing id to od of rod with in.002-.003 so only light sanding is needed to fit

Boolit Master
    If you have Not called Redding directly You will find they have an abundance of Old parts left in Inventory. they may be able to help you. It is worth a call
    PF #607 753 3331
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Banned
    Sal has a good idea to call Redding, the cap is the same for all Redding measures, even if you get a green one.

Tube diameter is .7495" outside, .6220" inside, 2.25" long, piston thread is common 1/2" with a lock ring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9892.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	292323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9894.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	292324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9893.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	292325

Boolit Grand Master

By pressman dimensions the brass tube at on line metals is .750 Od x .625 ID X 12" long is 18.00 the .625 steel round stock 12" long is 5.00. this should make 4 tubes. you will still need the stop collar and jb weld. so for 35-40 dollars you can make 4

I guess I just can’t wrap my head around how this thing works? Even if I make a powder chamber..that one you posted a picture of Ken, if I put that in mine, it seems I would remove the chamber each time and dump it into my case separately. Is that how it works?
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Banned
    Yes, that is exactly how it works. The design was pioneered by Belding & Mull nearly 100 years ago. Herter's, Redding and Pacific were the only companies who tried to make a B&M comparable measure and none were succesful.

Interesting. And what I’m reading is that this style of measure is extremely accurate?

The Redding measurers are quality and the Redding company is very helpful.

Boolit Master

I have that very measure and I got a new powder tube from them a few years ago and at no cost to me. They have always had great customer service when I have called them. james

Thanks y'all, I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see what is available. What is the model of this style?