Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does your 22lr semi-auto shoot better than your revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    What would be the best way to find the one chamber with the best alignment with the barrel?
    Without some very precise rods to drop in from the front,
    I guess you'd have to do the test by firing groups from each cylinder,
    Or put each shot on six different targets, and keep track of which shot from each chamber goes on the correct target.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    There are fewer variables in the auto with only one chamber versus the revolver with six. Another factor for a lot of shooters is ergonomics of the gun, they can grip and hold an auto better than a revolver. Have a S&W M17 that is as accurate as can be expected but offhand the grip and balance can't compete with either a long gone Hi-Standard Victor or my current plinker, a Kimber conversion on a dedicated 1911 frame., or long gone Ruger MKIII 22.45 and Walther/Colt 1911 Target.

Boolit Master
    This is a really interesting thread to me, because it emphasizes how much the nut behind the trigger affects accuracy.

For years, we have had a Ruger MKIV Hunter (6-7/8"). It's a beautiful gun with a great trigger and an impeccable pedigree that I have been consistently unable to shoot well regardless of what ammo I put through it. Others seem to have no problems at all. However, I have a S&W M63 (3") which I can shoot far better, consistently, even in double-action. I was absolutely shocked at my ability with it to hit what I was aiming for after years of frustrating (even embrassing) inconsistency in my performance with the Ruger. The Ruger is by all accounts a far more accurate gun - longer barrel, longer sight radius, simpler construction, better trigger. I have no explanation for my experience.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

A range rod will tell you if any are out of alignment. Other than that, very extensive testing using a Ransom Rest and repeatedly firing from only one chamber at a time. However, you'd likely get different results from different ammo, so you'd have to use one lot of one brand of ammo throughout the test.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    This is a really interesting thread to me, because it emphasizes how much the nut behind the trigger affects accuracy.

For years, we have had a Ruger MKIV Hunter (6-7/8"). It's a beautiful gun with a great trigger and an impeccable pedigree that I have been consistently unable to shoot well regardless of what ammo I put through it. Others seem to have no problems at all. However, I have a S&W M63 (3") which I can shoot far better, consistently, even in double-action. I was absolutely shocked at my ability with it to hit what I was aiming for after years of frustrating (even embrassing) inconsistency in my performance with the Ruger. The Ruger is by all accounts a far more accurate gun - longer barrel, longer sight radius, simpler construction, better trigger. I have no explanation for my experience.
    I had a similar experience with a Ruger MKII target compared to my S&W 22a-1. I finally found that the grip angle just didn't work for me. It may have been because of my familiarity with other firearms that have grip angles the same as 1911 pistols or something in my physical makeup. I just could not make it work and was uncomfortable when shooting it.
    I tested it with a scope and a rest. It was as accurate as my S&W 22a-1. I simply could not make it work.

I have considered getting one of the Ruger pistols that mimic the grip of a 1911 but do not want to spend the money currently.

No big difference between a high end match pistol and a great rimfire revolver. They both perform equally well from a rest or offhand. After I retired from active competitions the Hammerli International was changed from its 208 configuration to a 211 with some custom Nill grips that I have since given to one of my sons.

Those grips on the pistol are exquisite. I have never seen a set that nice.

I have also never seen a Korth revolver before.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I only own 2 .22 handguns anymore . #1 is a S&W Kit Gun I have had for 25 or 30 years . #2 is a Colt Pre Woodsman Target I bought about 2 years ago . The Colt will outshoot the S&W by a good margin . My youngest son owns a Woodsman Target from the 20's that almost shoots itself . Either Colt will shoot dimes all day long at 15-25 yards , 15 in my hand and 25 in his . I'm climbing my sixties and he turns 28 in May.I have owned other .22 pistols but none shot as well for me as the early Woodsman . I can't hit anything with the second model Woodsmans, Huntsmans, or the Rugers . Never shot a Smith automatic or the Browning but have handled both and neither grip suits my hands. My Pre Woodsman has both the HS and Standard mainspring housing and likes the HS stuff the best . Parkers shoots standard better than the HS stuff .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post

Probably the same issue I have , wrong grip angle . I never could hit anything with a Luger either .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    My 22 semi auto is a High Standard Trophy. My revolver is a Single Six. The revolver is nowhere near as accurate as the High Standard. Not even close.

Boolit Master

The three 22 handguns I own: a Benelli MP 95 w/ Olympic Wrap around grips. A S&W 2206 T and a early 1960’s Colt Officers Model Match, as listed in order of my ability to shoot. The Colt (my father’s) and the 2206 are both exceptional shooters. The Benelli is far and away better. I always wanted a S&W 41 or 46 but glad I got the Benelli instead. The trigger can be adjusted 4 ways. Travel, trigger pull, reset and you can angle the face of the trigger to your finger.

For plinking absolutely loved the stainless Ruger Super Six. If shooting for money or serious hunt High Stanard Trophymatic Military was absolutely lights out. Smallest group contest had to be the Contender 14 inch 22 match barrel. That Thompson was just unbelievable.

Boolit Master
    old stainless ruger 22/45 target model, more accurate than I am

Boolit Master
    I can't shoot worth a flip so I'm happy with minute of can accuracy. Got a ruger single 6 and a mk4. Happy w/both.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master
    If my Woodsman target had a trigger as nice as my Officers Model Match, I think there would be no contest, the auto would win hands down. But that 3/4 pound difference in trigger weight is just enough to make it an even money bet which one I'll shoot better on any given day. Likewise, my M-52-2 will out shoot any 38 I own, but it doesn't run anywhere near as reliably.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12