MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Herters 234, handle position problem

Herters 234, handle position problem

I recently came into a Herters Super 234 turret press. As some of you will know, the default position of the handle is DOWN (ram up).

I knew it when I bought it, figured it was just a different way of doing things and I'd be fine. Well, I wasn't thinking about my injured shoulder (that's going to be months healing) and how difficult it was going to be using one hand to hold the handle up while changing cases, shell holders, dies, etc with the other.

I'm going to get some springs, bungees, whatever I can scrounge and work on a solution but I'm wondering if anyone has an easy, already figured out way to hold that handle in the up position???

Thanks

I had that problem with my Herter's press, and cut a large inner tube into bands. I added several to hold it to meet my needs.

Boolit Grand Master

Band cut from inner tube was the old way but I bet a Bungee Cord would work even better ...with a hook on each end . Buy a small box of assorted sizes from local wally mart ... the small ones come in handy as holders .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    As the owner/caretaker of several Herter's presses I make a wire hook from #9 wire. One end around the handle and the other around the primer arm. Make it loose enough so you can slip it off easily.

I appreciate the responses. I was hoping someone had a way for the handle to return on it's own.

Somewhere in the world there's a big V-shaped spring I can attach. I just have to find it ...

Banned
    It's all about balance. Presses that have the handle staying up generally have a lighter handle. You could try hanging a 1 pound lead ingot from the bottom of the ram link pin.

Boolit Grand Master

I was going to suggest a counter weight also, Another thought is a fuse holder for the bigger fuses screwed to the front of the bench so when handle is up it is clipped in it. The fuse holder clip would be pretty much brain dead operation, and would be below the working area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    It's all about balance. Presses that have the handle staying up generally have a lighter handle. You could try hanging a 1 pound lead ingot from the bottom of the ram link pin.
    That sound you hear in the distance is me slapping my forehead. A counterweight is perfect. I can engineer a basket and tinker with the weight until it does what I want.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for when I posted the question.

Thank you!