Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Desiccant packs in open powder jugs and bottles?

Boolit Master

Desiccant packs in open powder jugs and bottles?

Would the desiccant packs harm the powder? i did read somewhere that powder has it's own moisture content. Or is that false.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Considering that powder is known for attacking the clear plastic in powder measure hoppers, I'd be hesitant to drop a pack of desiccant into a jug of powder. It might not harm the powder directly, but what are you going to do if the powder eats the desiccant packaging and dumps the desiccant into the powder?
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

Yeah that would not be good if it got in the powder. Thanks.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I always drop a pack in after I open new powder. Sometimes a pack falls out when filling the powder measure and none have ever looked different. If anyone has some real facts about them effecting powder I’d like to know.

Boolit Master

I found this on powder valley.
    https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/relo...g-powder-last/

''How to Keep Your Powder Dry
    Here at Powder Valley, we know that humidity is one of gunpowder’s greatest enemies. Here are some of the steps we recommend to keep your powder safe from moisture and dampness:

Use desiccant packs – add a pack of silica gel to your containers of gunpowder after opening them. Make sure the silica packs are intact; otherwise, they can leak into the powder itself and change its chemical composition.
    Use a dehumidifier – this is especially important if you store your powder in a basement or cellar. You may also want to install a sump pump for added protection.
    Never drink water or other beverages while reloading ammo – if your powder should become wet, then dispose of it in accord with local environmental regulations.''
    One round at a time.

DuPont kept an original sample of (Unique?) stored under water for decades as a reference sample. Every so often they'd dry out a bit of it for testing. They used to advertise the fact in the old pre-War Anerican Rifleman.

The Riflemans's "Dope Bag" once advised reloaders NOT to use desiccants in powder containers because reducing the moisture content changed the burn characteristics of the powder. Still makes sense to me. Just keep 'em sealed up tight.
    Cognitive Dissident

I never worried about using desiccants.
    I store my powder in a cool, dry place where the temp is always between 60 and 70 degrees year round.
    The bottles are never in the sun.
    I always make sure the seal on the bottles is as intact as possible, giving a good seal.
    I sincerely doubt the moisture content of my powders has changes even 1 percent over the time I have has them.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies. I'll skip the idea.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

Here in Missouri the humidity is a real concern, as my powder and all else are stored in a cabinet in an uninsulated (for now) 30x40 2-bay garage/workshop. I have dessicant packs in all of my powder containers just in case. Have never seen any problems.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Really, ambient humidity is of no consequence unless you fail to close up your containers tightly.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

It's interesting to see we have people on both sides of this discussion.
    Myself? ...I wouldn't put desiccant packages in smokeless powder cans/jugs. But my only rationale, is I have bought many opened, half-full powder canisters at gunshows and through private connections, some that dated to late 60s and early 70s. Some even had a bit of rust on the metal canister bottoms. Powder still smelled fine, loaded and shot just fine. Stored for 50 years without desiccant.

Why am I posting here?
    For anyone thinking this is a good idea, be sure to use the tyvek type paper packaged silica gel desiccants. There are other types of desiccants that may or may not be the best to use. I've seen some that use bentonite clay. I've also seen some packages that are plastic cartridges that come in prescription drugs...I wonder if that plastic will degrade if embedded in smokeless powder?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001