Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 357 Blackhawk Does it Again!

357 Blackhawk Does it Again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1BB35D8-B7AD-4389-8F6B-F7FE1DFE85D2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	292278

I had 7 does come through this morning, the first 3 were on a dead run through the woods and offered no shot opportunities. Not 20 minutes later a group of 4 does came slinking in behind me and stopped behind a line of trees 30 yards to my left. They were out of sight long enough that I could unholster my hog leg without getting busted. They milled around for a few moments and then started to double back the way they came in. The lead doe was good sized and stopped some 25 yards away from the ladder stand I was in. I slowly raised my revolver while simultaneously cocking it. I settled the front sight on her left shoulder and pressed the loud switch. At the shot she jumped straight up and fell over upon landing. I could plainly see that the 173 grain semi wadcutter had broken her shoulder. She staggered and regained her footing and made a dash out into the orchard at the edge of the woods where I lost sight of her.

The blood trail was excellent with lots of both hair and blood at the point of impact and copious amounts of blood out of the woods and into the orchard. Once out in the orchard tracking becomes much easier as you can just look down the rows as you walk across. I had good blood and knew she couldn’t make it far so I started looking for a deer instead of blood. Sure enough about 60 yards down a row there she laid!

Upon inspection the bullet had indeed broken her left shoulder and exited just in front of her right shoulder and put a good size crease in her left lung, missing the heart and just tickled her right lung. She ran a total distance of a bit over 100 yards, had I realized she was quartering away that much I would’ve put the bullet a bit farther back and tried to break her offside shoulder but this placement did the trick.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats!!! I’ve killed several deer with handguns mostly a Glock 21 with a 460 Rowland, 400 Corbin or a 45 acp, but I’ve killed them with my Kimber 10mm 1911 my colt 1911 in 45 my SBH 8.5” in 44mag and even one this year with a Springfield Hellcat RDP 9mm

Boolit Buddy

Congrats and thanks for the report. Going for another?

Boolit Master
    Awesome job, way to git it done!

Congratulations great hunt and shot.

Quote Originally Posted by bisleyfan41 View Post
    Congrats and thanks for the report. Going for another?
    Yes! Here in Michigan we get 2 buck tags and 10 private land doe tags. I don’t think I’ll try to fill all of them but we’ll see. There are enough does around that if I did fill all the tags it wouldn’t even dent the population.

Dang! 10 doe tags!!!

Excellent results. Thanks for sharing. One trick i use when tree stand hunting is to cook the hammer when I hear "deery " noise. I put my left thumb between the hammer and the frame as I hold the cocked revolver . That let's me bring the gun up and remove my thumb as I am ready to shoot.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Excellent results. Thanks for sharing. One trick i use when tree stand hunting is to cook the hammer when I hear "deery " noise. I put my left thumb between the hammer and the frame as I hold the cocked revolver . That let's me bring the gun up and remove my thumb as I am ready to shoot.
    Not a bad idea! I think she heard the click as the cylinder bolt engaged but she couldn’t pinpoint the source of the sound. I wish theseNew Model Rugers had a traditional half cock position, then I could fully cock it and let it down to half cock and go to full cock when needed without the extra noise.

You did good , thanks for the letting know what you used for booilt. A good blood trail is the main thing if they do not drop right away .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

It is really a "rush" to get a deer with a handgun!

Congratulations!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Lesson learned here last week, I had a coyote slip in quickly @ about 20 yards he heard the first click of my Blackhawk, man was he outa there! I sent a 215 swc his way just as he started to run. I love to hear them clicks but the game sure don't!

Boolit Mold
    I enjoyed reading this story. I tried for a few years to get a deer with a Blackhawk but never connected. I traded that for a SW model 28 and then never hunted with it. Makes me want to try it again. Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Mold
    congrats!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Very good.

Banner Sponsor

Very nice indeed!
    When I'm sitting in a stand and hunting with a revolver, I usually cock the gun, then put my left thumb between the hammer and the frame.. this way you can pull up silently and shoot without spooking the deer.

Boolit Bub
    That's a nice one. Fine shooting!

Boolit Grand Master
    Inspires me to dig out my SBH and get to work. Well done.

Boolit Mold
    Excellent! I shot a few with a pistol, all with a .44 contender and a Lee .430 310. Hard to beat a .357 Blackhawk though. Great revolvers, and built like a tank.