WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pepper grinders

Moderator Emeritus

Pepper grinders

Awhile back there was a pepper grinder discussion(before we had the cooking gear thread). My beat up old wooden grinder is dying, I have to hold the burr in while filling or it falls out(the strap holding it in tore put of the wood multiple times, sure I could rebuild that but the burr is badly worn).

I need a mill that will produce a lot of pepper at times and turns easy(carpal tunnel).

I know one brand rose to the top... and due to advanced CRS I can't think of it LOL

We've used Turkish Coffee Grinders for years. They last and last and yes, they'll put out lots of pepper. Not a wimpy grinder at all.

We've had ours for over 30 years and they're still going strong and they get lots of use. Ours is NOT the electric type.

https://www.coffee-statistics.com/be...offee-grinder/

At the 2nd link is the type we have.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Mill-I...age=en_US&th=1
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I discovered that an old antique box type coffee grinder works great. That’s all I use these days.

Boolit Master
    I have used an expensive grinders for salt and pepper.
    With ceramic burrs and all.
    They didn’t last that long.

Our favourite one is a small local brand that comes with pepper in it.
    They die after a few years like the rest but are cheap and easily handled.
    I just dried a heap of our own grown peppercorns and I chuck some of ‘Em in the electric coffee grinder for a few spurts to brake them up a little.
    Just like our daily grind of coffee but very course.1/4 corns maybe.
    They tend to go thou the grinder a lot easier without fuss.
    Being smallish you get to grind a new batch every now and again which keeps the flavour fresh just
    like coffee does.

Ohh ….fresh dried peppercorns …or home grown herbs really do make meals

Moderator Emeritus

Zassenhaus Speyer (made in Germany).
    They have a handle crank and aren't that expensive.
    The new one's are ceramic, the old ones are SS. Look for a gently used older one, made in W. Germany
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

You need one of those old Sharps rifles that had a coffee grinder built into the buttstock. Handy when your in your bivouac.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a little coffee grinder for when I need bulk ground pepper...

I need a hand mill for table use or when I am at the stove seasoning things...

I do not like to pre-grind a bunch and have it sit. Loses to much flavor after 1 day

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I discovered that an old antique box type coffee grinder works great. That’s all I use these days.
    Thats what my mom always used and I have followed suit into my 75th year of pepper eating. There was a chain Steakhouse back in the day called "The Pepper Grinder" That had the old style coffee grinders on each table filled with pepper corns and even offered them for sale. I found one on Ebay for 10.00 10 years ago and is still going strong with daily use.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    Thats what my mom always used and I have followed suit into my 75th year of pepper eating. There was a chain Steakhouse back in the day called "The Pepper Grinder" That had the old style coffee grinders on each table filled with pepper corns and even offered them for sale. I found one on Ebay for 10.00 10 years ago and is still going strong with daily use.
    Mine is over a hundred years old and I’ve been using it since I got it almost fifteen years ago. I got one for a friend as a thank you present, but he never used it. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I need a hand mill for table use or when I am at the stove seasoning things...
    Yup, the Turkish coffee mills are for use in the hand. We have one at the table with B' pepper in it and a few near the range top for use in cooking filled with black pepper and other peppers.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Buddy
    I was gifted a battery operated S&P set from sams club a few years back that are still going strong. I filled both with pepper corns as I have no desire to grind salt. They would be excellent for arthritic hands. They require 4 aa batteries each.

Boolit Buddy
    I did a little research a couple of years ago and purchased a Magnum Plus from Unicorn Mills (unicornmills.org). Couldn't be more pleased. Grind size is easily adjustable over a wide range and it puts out enough pepper for large pots of food. The also sell a Magnum grinder which i believe is the same grinding mechanism but with a smaller reservoir for peppercorns and also comes with a plastic tray to avoid dibbles of ground pepper on the countertop.

They sell their products via Amason. They formerly had a matching salt grinder but discontinued it because of salt in humid climates adhering into a mass and not dropping into the grinding mechanism. I called the company and they assembled and sold one to me after I promised that it'd only be used at my current location in the driest of all 50 states.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sierra1911 View Post
    I did a little research a couple of years ago and purchased a Magnum Plus from Unicorn Mills (unicornmills.org). Couldn't be more pleased. Grind size is easily adjustable over a wide range and it puts out enough pepper for large pots of food. The also sell a Magnum grinder which i believe is the same grinding mechanism but with a smaller reservoir for peppercorns and also comes with a plastic tray to avoid dibbles of ground pepper on the countertop.

They sell their products via Amason. They formerly had a matching salt grinder but discontinued it because of salt in humid climates adhering into a mass and not dropping into the grinding mechanism. I called the company and they assembled and sold one to me after I promised that it'd only be used at my current location in the driest of all 50 states.
    Thanks! I had ordered the Unicorn Magnum last week! Looked at Amazon reviews and it was a winner. And the name rang a bell from that old discussion here. I buy peppercorns by the pound... that is how much black pepper I use LOL

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Thanks! I had ordered the Unicorn Magnum last week! Looked at Amazon reviews and it was a winner. And the name rang a bell from that old discussion here. I buy peppercorns by the pound... that is how much black pepper I use LOL
    Be glad you did when you did, I looked just out of curiosity, and they are Currently unavailable.

We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

I use a store bought bottle of peppercorns that has the grinder built in, I like the Alessi brand.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I am iffy if it will arrive... said in stock when I ordered it, but it hasn't shipped yet.

Moderator Emeritus

On Cyber Monday (8 days ago), I ordered 4 items from Amazon (all were in stock and all were to be shipped from Amazon Warehouse). I got a "shipped" email for two items on Sunday, the other two items, no email notice yet, so I assume they haven't shipped. So I suspect the warehouses in MN (and maybe all over?) are way backlogged.
    It was also on the news yesterday, that Amazon's cloud was "OUT" for a few hours, putting all Amazon's activities on hold.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Have wood lathe? I do and make my own. www.pennstateind.com is where I get the kit.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!