WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Seating gas checks

Seating gas checks

Can I seat gas checks
    With the lee sizer ?
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Boolit Master
    I like to have them pressed firmly on the base via the ram. You could try it and see if the punch has enough resistance from the boolet in the die. Depends on the base dimensions

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use a NOE sizer, but don’t see why à Lee wouldn’t work, as long as the shank/heel on the boolit had the right diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, Lee’s will add a gas check during sizing. I tend to use a small utility hammer and tap them on prior to sizing, especially after powder coating.

Banned

Yes. The Lee bullet sizer is designed to seat gas checks as it sizes the bullet. I use the Lee sizer to seat my gas checks without a problem. I have used them for Hornady, Sages and Gator gas checks.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    I like to have them pressed firmly on the base via the ram. You could try it and see if the punch has enough resistance from the boolet in the die. Depends on the base dimensions
    If you can't push the checks on with your fingers, the bullet shank is too big. A check expander is a better solution than forcing them on with a lubesizer.

Boolit Master
    I have a MP Mold for 357 (Hammer) that I need to , for the lack of a better word, slap the bullets with a GC on the bottom onto my table top to get the GC's seated on the shanks. I then use the LEE dies to size and crimp. I have a MP Sledgehammer that I have to expand the GC as it ain't happening otherwise and use my LAM's with the Lyman GC seater (this adds another step but I want them as perfect as I can make them). My MP 44's and 45's have perfectly sized shanks so it's snap on and use the LEE dies and shoot.

Oddly enough every Accurate Mold drops the shanks perfectly and it's just run them through the LEE dies. I PC everything so a LEE sizer is in the bullets future regardless.

I suppose the point of my meandering post is yes you can seat GC's well with LEE dies. That is assuming they snap onto the shanks well. If not, you gotta get creative.
    Last edited by DHDeal; 11-28-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    I make my 30 cal. GC's with a FreeChex III and the Lee sizers seats them perfectly.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master
    Yes, but....

It all depends on how well the checks fit the base of the bullet. I have had a couple molds that needed quite a bit of force to seat the GC. As stated this is not a good thing since some GC's will go on crooked or not be seated all the way.

I have also found that my biggest problem with seating GC's is the flashing around the base of the mold when casting. If this is a big problem for you then NOE makes a little tool to fix this.

The GC should go on with just a slight amount of pressure, eg, just press the bullet down on a GC with your fingers. Then put it in the sizer. Any type sizer will work, Lee NOE, Lyman, Star, etc.

So... I have some molds that I have to pc the boolit before I GC it. (Shank is a little small).
    Then I have boolits that I use some clamps (Irwin with the rubber feet) to seat the gcs on the boolits.
    Then there are other molds where the GC fits just fine.

I just write down what I do with what boolit...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    used lee sizers for 223/308/357 to fit checks works a treat.