Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Lock-Eze?

Boolit Buddy

Lock-Eze?

Just wondering if anyone tried Lock-Eze for lubing the sprue plate pivot. Since it is a suspended graphite and the liquid evaporates away, would it not work? I have a couple nose pour molds and there is a plate top and bottom.

Moderator Emeritus

I have not used the product you mentioned, but did try/use a similar product -- with quite the disappointment. I tried a Teflon-based dry lub which worked awesomely until the mould was heated for a bit... then the lub properties turned to "braking" properties. If I was to try a product like you're suggesting -- I'd put some on either an old mould I do not care about --or, preferably a couple of pieces of metal from the scrap box; HEAT to casting temp; cool; and reheat a few times for me to see if the lubricating properties remain.
    Just a suggestion...
    geo

Boolit Master

I never used it on sprue plates , but loved it for doors in house and cars .

Boolit Master
    Two Stroke oil and a Q-tip.

Boolit Master
    Lock eze (or any of the lock sprays) work great........for locks.

Lord knows I try to reinvent a wheel and the best I've been able to do is make a wheel. I keep stout bamboo qtips (Ramrodz by brand) coated with mold lube and wipe the sprue plates every 20ish drops. I leave the bullets in the cavities when I do it and I can get off any lead on the mold tops without any worries of contamination.

By all means, try it and see if it works for you.

Boolit Master
    I tried it and it was like I didn't do anything. 2 stroke oil works great. I apply at the end of my casting session and cast a few more to cook it. I throw those bullets back in the pot for next time. Mold is good to go after heating on the hot plate next time.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure about the carriers or other additives in Lock- Eze but graphite works and is a good high temperature dry lubricant.

I use powdered graphite (dry powdered graphite) plus a bit of sprue plate lube or 2 stroke oil. The graphite coates the metal surfaces and helps lubricate even if the oil burns off.

Mould releases... or at least some mould releases are graphite based. I do not use mould release in cavities though, just saying graphite takes the heat.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy

I was lucky. I procured an "empty" qt of synthetic 2 stroke motor oil. Apply with a q-tip The powder would be nice because easier to keep out of mold cavity GW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    I was lucky. I procured an "empty" qt of synthetic 2 stroke motor oil. Apply with a q-tip The powder would be nice because easier to keep out of mold cavity GW
    +10!

That’s what I did, procured a tossed container of that stuff my brother “used up”. Enough left for many casting sessions.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Moderator Emeritus

A 2 oz bottle of synthetic two stroke oil was $0.99 at the hardware store a couple of years ago. I will never use it all.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Two Stroke oil and a Q-tip.
    LIKE !

So cheap , so easy and it works like gangbusters on pivot points .
    Dry Lube is good as a mould release , inside the cavities but Teflon can take a lot of heat ... but , you can't over heat it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"