WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Home slicer for bacon

Boolit Buddy

Home slicer for bacon

I'm looking for a suggestion for a home slicer for bacon. Lots of models out there, but I'm not looking to slice cheese or lunch meats. Those products come in a 6" block or tube. But a pork belly, while only a couple inches thick, is about a foot wide. The carriages on most home slicers don't look like they give enough travel to slice a pork belly.

My small home slicer gave up the ghost this morning while I was slicing up about 20# of bacon. The part that broke is obsolete so the slicer is trash. This was a 7" or 8" slicer and I have always been frustrated that I had to roll and curl the belly because the carriage would not pull back far enough from the blade. Today i was slicing buckboard bacon, which is made from shoulders, and it was the same fight.

Y'all are the largest knowledge base I know of. Any thoughts on a suitable slicer? I only use it a few times a year so I really can't justify the cost of a commercial unit. I know someone out there has a home slicer that they're running bacon through.

Boolit Master
    I have never made bacon, but I’m curious why you don’t just cut it in half before slicing it.

When I was looking for one, I was surprised at what they cost once you got beyond the Chinese trash.

I started looking for used or rebuilt ones.
    I found a older, commercial, 13" Hobart for $500. it was used, but had a new ($200) blade on it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

When we were making bacon we always used a big thin bladed knife similar to a fillet fnife that was razor sharp. the block was chilled just short of freeing to stiffen it then a very light coat of cooking oil on the blade sliced nicely but then we didnt want paper thin either

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I have never made bacon, but I’m curious why you don’t just cut it in half before slicing it.
    I have done that. Same bacon, just in 6" long slices. I guess to answer your question, its just a matter of presentation. And I admit that's a rather silly reason to spend 5x the money on a slicer. If it comes down to spending hundreds more for a slicer with a long carriage, I'll happily eat 6" bacon or put up with folding or rolling it to run it through the slicer.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I big quality slicer will cost a lot these days. You could always freeze it and cut it with a band saw.

Boolit Grand Master

You lose a lot to the band saw blade. About .040 per cut so every 3-4 cuts youve got a strip in the chip pan. one of the wavy knife edge type bands would be better. A small table top band saw with a rip fence might work.

Moderator Emeritus

I use this knife to slice bacon. When not in use it resides in its sheath in a drawer https://www.countryknives.com/shop-b...slicing-knife/

$74

Also use it on turkey, ham, beef, cutting jerky... anywhere I want uniform slices.

I use one of these to slice jerkey meat. As long as you run the knife over a steel before each use it works very well. Should work for bacon too.

https://www.amazon.com/TSM-Products-...047020&sr=8-22
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Cutting with a knife takes practice to get consistent slices, but it works.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I use one of these to slice jerkey meat. As long as you run the knife over a steel before each use it works very well. Should work for bacon too.

https://www.amazon.com/TSM-Products-...047020&sr=8-22
    Okay, I'm intrigued. It wouldn't be the fastest option, but I can see it being useful for a couple purposes. Thanks for the recommendation.