Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Recent Thread - Coffee

Boolit Master

Recent Thread - Coffee

Recently there was a thread that discussed good tasting coffee. At least one post recommended a grinder(Amazon) and several recommended various beans. Since the search function and I don't get along, I'm asking if anyone remembers that thread. Can you point me to it?
    John
    W.TN

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ight=Aeropress

This one?

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ight=Aeropress

This is the grinder I use. Adjustable, once you get it set it stays set.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for beans, check your local Walmart or grocery store. Try 1-3 small bags every week. Find out what you like.

Then branch out from there.

This time of year up here in Fargo "Pablo's Pride" from Guatemala is a must have.
    Blended with whatever I'm in the mood for. Could be anything from Hazlenut to Kona.

Overall I seem to prefer coffees in the medium to medium dark roast, and from central america.

Mississippi Grog is a summer favorite. Lots of caramel flavors.

If you want to play with roasting your own I would start here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In 5 years I have bought 4 coffee roasters. Best of the works is the 20$ hot air popper I found at the second hand store. Only does small batch's, about a cup. Takes a few minutes but it is easy to sit and watch the color change. Normally I stop and pour the beans into a metal bowl at the start of second crack.

That Primos Nicaraguan Estate makes an excellent cup of coffee and goes well with every blend I have tried thus far.

If you want to talk more send me a PM, we can setup phone numbers and a time.
    Last edited by GhostHawk; 11-26-2021 at 10:54 PM.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

I roast my own as well, with a freshroast sr800, my preferred method is the pour over with a kalita wave. My preferred beans are naturally processed from yemen or columbia. My grinder is a Ceado E5SD. I cant drink common coffee anymore, I'm spoiled.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Well my wife told me 15 years ago I needed to choose between

A Normal coffee pot with Folgers but always there, always coffee available.

B A single 12 oz insulated mug of very good coffee. Plan on building your own blends, grinding your beans fresh daily.

I chose B, and started playing with green unroasted beans also.

Turned myself into a royal coffee snob, I don't drink anyone else's coffee at all.

When we were traveling back pre covid I had a full second set of grinder, Aeropress, and beans in a drawstring bag.
    Hangs on the edge of the kitchen so I could find everything I needed before I'm really awake and functioning.

The single biggest thing I have figure out is that paper coffee filters suck up all the coffee oils. Robbing you of flavor.

French press if you make it and pour it all is fine. But if half is left sitting on the grounds. That changes the flavor.

So I adapted to the Aeropress, only I use a washable reusable stainless steel mesh instead of paper.

When it comes to anything that comes into contact with coffee cleanliness is next to Godliness.
    This is where your bitter flavors creep in. Coffee oils that have "turned, gone rancid" with age.

I always start a new bean/roast by grinding enough for a single cup, then tasting it. See where it is strong, where it can improve your blend. See where it is weak, and can be improved.

Its a bit like blending single malt Scotch. The blend has to be adjusted from batch to batch to get the same flavor profile.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

interesting, I have an espresso machine, French press and pour over, never gave the aeropress much thought. Any tips other than using the metal filter? I know its a lot of adjustment to tune it to your taste but what grind size would you start with for example?
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Cowboy coffee, put coffee loose in a pot of boiling water. Wait to settle and pour.

I am Scottish on both sides and it shows. I can be a cheap SOB.

So I grind very fine, like espresso, but not a lot. Maybe a tablespoons worth or a bit more for 12 oz of water.

Or just take an espresso shot and dilute it 2 or 3 times with hot water. Same difference.

I would grind fine and make 3 cups with the same beans with varying amounts of coffee. See what you like and go from there.

You have plenty of good options for brewing. The real magic is in the beans you choose.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When you’ve got a chill, there’s nothing like a warm cup of cowboy coffee next to a campfire.

Boolit Master
    What I like and use:
    https://volcanicacoffee.com/collecti...31641632735290

The Costa Rica Peaberry Coffee

The Costa Rica Peaberry Coffee is from the Aquiares Estate located in the Tres Rios region near the pacific coast. This world prized, single estate peaberry coffee is shade-grown and rain forest certified at an altitude of about 5,200 feet. Highly prized by connoisseurs for its balance and intensity of flavors such as honey, lemon, and almond, this coffee is a great example of a typical coffee from the region as they tend to be mildly sweet and bright. Highly prized for their unique flavor, these beans are considered one of the rarest in the crop.

Certifications:

Kosher Certified
    Rainforest Alliance Certified
    Flavor Notes: Honey, Lemon, and Almond

Processing: Washed Process

Roast: Medium Roast

Additional Information:

Farm: The Aquiares Estate
    pH: 5.1
    Single Origin Coffee: Grown at an altitude of about 5,200 feet
    Shade Grown
    Peaberry Coffee- What is a Peaberry Coffee? Peaberry coffee beans are unique and have a much richer flavor. They are only found in 5% of the crop and are removed manually. The flavor of the peaberry is of a finer quality than the rest of the crop and is desired by coffee connoisseurs.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I remember reading about this really expensive coffee. They would collect the crap from some animal that ate coffee fruits and pick the seeds out. Supposedly it mellowed out the coffee. I’m taking them at their word on it. http://[/https://www.nationalgeograp...ffee-Indonesia
    https://enjoyjava.com/poop-coffee/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

I roasted for about 6yrs with what they call a "Turbo Crazy" which is the top of a tabletop convection oven (the heating element and fan) and the bottom of a Crazy Popper popcorn popper (the arms that stir the beans) it did 1lb batches pretty good, total investment about $35, search youtube for turbo crazy coffee roaster you will find them and likely find several good videos about building home roasters. This is all manual, seat-of-the-pants roast profiles, there aren't really any directions, but if you can make an egg sandwich, you can roast coffee with one of these.

Compare all of the commercially made roasters that have up to or near a 1lb capacity, many of which are mentioned in this thread, you will find the cost per ounce of capacity to be insanely high.

If you think roasters that can do up to a pound are stupid expensive, you haven't looked at the 1 kilo roasters. I have bought decent used cars for a lot less money.

A few years ago I got tired of doing 1lb batches and I fabricated a roaster out of a Sunbeam gas grill and fabricated a drum with some stainless cloth, it will do upwards of 2 kilos of beans but I find it does the best with 2.5lb batches. Total cost about $350.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunbeam Grill drum laying.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	292370

The green beans I buy are from Sweet Maria, Bodhi, Burman Coffee Traders, there are quite a few decent importers that offer high quality beans at affordable prices. Obviously the higher cup score, the more the beans will bring on the market, and the better the coffee tastes and smells in your cup.

You can read comments, descriptions, reviews from users, and cupping notes to see what each bean delivers, I like to blend mine too. I like dry process best, I usually try for a Honduran and Ethiopian blend so I buy several different batches, 10 - 20lbs and see which ones I like best. If I find one that is REALLY GOOD like the Honduras Finca Joleta I got from Bodhi, I usually go ahead and order another 20 - 40 lbs of it because it will be gone when you run out of the first order. I drink about 60lbs of coffee yearly, and I try and roast once in the spring, and again in the fall which usually lasts me all year.

Years ago I made a deal with life. I told life I gave up nicotine and I gave up alcohol, DON'T YOU DARE COME AFTER MY COFFEE!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-28-2021 at 09:36 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I get my coffee from the same places. But my roasting is weekly, every sunday I roast enough for the week. I find that anything older than a week starts to lose its peak. Maybe I'm too picky. But I found my groove with it.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Just yesterday someone was telling me that strong coffee has less caffeine than weaker coffee. Has anyone else ever heard that?

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Just yesterday someone was telling me that strong coffee has less caffeine than weaker coffee. Has anyone else ever heard that?
    For me, stronger coffee means more coffee extract in the water, in that case no, stronger coffee has more caffeine.

However, Darker roast coffee powder has less caffeine by volume, only because it is less dense than lighter roasted coffee. Which is why i measure my coffee with a scale not a spoon.

So to summarize, if you measure your coffee with a scoop and consider darker roasts "stronger" then yes it will have less caffeine. But if you measure by weight before you put it in the water, then no.
    Last edited by almar; 11-30-2021 at 04:28 PM.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Moderator Emeritus

I drink a pot of Folgers coffee every day.
    THEN, once in a rare while, I will buy a bag from a dude at the farmer's market that roasts some beans daily, I feel I appreciate it that much more
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001