RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: How to load for Odd weighted bullet?

Boolit Man

How to load for Odd weighted bullet?

I am working up some loads for my marlin 45 colt, and I have some CB I got from a forum member and I can't find any load data in my books for boolits that weigh 289-291 gr? The powders I have available are

Hercules 2400
    Win 231
    Bullseye
    IMR 3031
    IMR 4831
    IMR 4350
    BLC-2
    Varget

How do you go off the reservation so to speak and work up a starting load?

Boolit Master
    I would use starting data for a 300gn boolit. 2400 will get you into higher velocities than 231 or Bullseye, the rest of the powders you list are primarily rifle powders.

Boolit Man
    Thats kinda what I was thinking, but according to the lee load book I dont have any of the powders for the 300 grn boolit

Nothing wrong with the Lee manual, but I'm a big fan of the Lyman Cast book.

I'd have to double check, but I think there is load data in it for the 300 gr. using Win 231.
    Also, do a quickie search for 'Win 231 in .45 Colt'. A lot of info. and forum discussions will pop right up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The 2400 is the right burn rate for heavy revolver loads in a long barrel.

Win 231 and Bullseye are too fast, the rest are too slow.

Lyman 2002 book says for rifles, to start at 15 grains for a 250 grain bullet at 1054 fps.

Yours is heavier, start at 12 grains, and work up. The book only goes up to 250 grains in a 45LC rifle, so be cautious and stop at around 800 fps with the 290 grainers.

Boolit Buddy
    15 gr of 2400 should be about max (14 kpsi) with that 290 gr bullet @ around 900 fps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnt55 View Post
    Thats kinda what I was thinking, but according to the lee load book I dont have any of the powders for the 300 grn boolit
    I started the same way: didn't have anything but the Lee manual. First thing I learned was I needed more manuals.
    I don't know which websites you've used but the powder manufacturers (Hodgdon) often will have load data online.
    Punch in the cartridge and powder or boolit you have, see what comes up.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Man
    I checked the different powder co load data but the issue seems always to be what powders I have available. I weighed each type of bullets I had and used the closest weight on the load data. I ended up using 12.5 grns 2400 on the 290 grn boolit and 6.5 grns win231 on the lighter 250 grn Lee cb. All shoot equally spotty, with a 3 inch group at 25 yrds open sights. There was no clear winner in the CB or powder category unfortunately. I am trying to come up with a CB and powder combo that is accurate out to 50 yds with this new marlin 45 colt. I'm beginning to think I need eye of newt, blood of a toad and some magical incantations to find the right combo.

Are you shooting from a rest ?

I found that with lead bullets from a rifle, I can sometimes shrink the group size with a bit more speed.

You should slug the barrel, and make sure the bullets are the right size for your rifle.

I remember coming across something a long time ago that Marlin have shallow rifling, so bore + 2 thou and hard lead.