Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Easton Big Giant Press

Boolit Mold

Easton Big Giant Press

Greetings from northwest New Mexico! Not sure why the first photo is turned sideways? Am relatively new to this forum - found this site while researching the decent sized reloading collection we "inherited" from Ken Howell's son. Ken wrote the book “Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges for Rifles and Handguns”. I've been working my way through his things in an effort to get them sold and in the large press collection found this Easton Big Giant press.

I've not had much luck getting information about the press or much information about A.A. Easton for that matter. I was hoping someone here could help with educating me. When was it made? Does the green color (that is starting to chip) have any significance? What did/does it do (I'm not much of a reloading whiz)? I know it is missing the handle but what else is missing? I'm assuming the long skinny brass(?) piece is a de-primer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and God bless! Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 900-327 (2) med.jpg   900-327 (3) med.jpg   900-327 (7) med.jpg  

Boolit Master

Pressman on here is the one to ask , a very knowledgeable man , I am sure he will be along to give you information .

Moderator Emeritus

Aye, Pressman is the guru. Please do not attempt to sell in this thread. There is a separate Swapping & Selling section complete with specific rules. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Man
    When I was a kid in the early 60’ my next door neighbor was Frank Snow who founded Sierra Bullets in Santa Fe Springs So Cal. Mr. Snow had several Easton presses and a row of Hollywood’s in his loading room. Years later I worked for the Union Pacific Railroad and frequented Parker Ackley’s shop in Salt Lake. He too had a couple of these presses also. That’s all I know

Rick

Banned
    AA Easton was from Salt Lake City., There's a number of different addresses for them.

The 1st press was released just before WW2, named the Little Giant. After the war the Little Giant was enlarged and renamed the Big Giant. It was replaced by the Super in the late 1950's. The Gun Digest commented that the Big Giant was a significant improvement from the Little Giant.
    All Big Giants are serial numbered, though I have not seen one over 400.
    Yours has a shellholder and prime punch. Both are nearly unobtainable if not with the press. The handle is a simple bar, easy to make.
    Operationis upstroke only.
    So, probably less than 400 made. They also made their own dies.

Boolit Master

That press should cleanup nicely.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Enclosed Pictures of the Little Giant Press, Big Giant , Easton super. with shell holders. The Big Giant in the Photo with the super ,I don't believe It is an Easton .
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    As Pressman stated AA Easton Dies are Unique to Easton. at that time every Company made there own Items. Easton Dies For the Big giant and Little Giant are Unique. Easton Dies have a internal Sleeve
    Enclosed Is a Complete Photo showing there Dies can be adjusted
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Mold
    A fair number of years ago, I worked part-time for a gun shop in western MI. One of the benefits was I got a significant discount on used items. I purchased an Easton reloading press merely because it was a "curiousity". I played with it for a few months and ultimately donated it to noted gunwriter; Ken Howell. He wanted it to display at the NRA Whittington center in his "Reloading" museum. Whether that eventually came to fruition or not, I have no idea. Whether it was a "Big Giant" or a "Little Giant", I have no idea. This thread is the only reference that I have ever seen on the Easton presses...

Boolit Master
    I still Have my Easton presses But currently Delegated to the shelf. All shell holders and dies are unique to Easton and some not interchangeable to other Models They are not as they say "USED FRIENDLY".
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    I still Have my Easton presses But currently Delegated to the shelf. All shell holders and dies are unique to Easton and some not interchangeable to other Models They are not as they say "USED FRIENDLY".
    This statement has me a bit confused... i.e: I have a set of Easton dies in .218 Imp. They are missing the decapping assm and the seating stem. However, both appear to be threaded to the same thread as other manufacturers dies. This thing has me puzzled. I tried various manufacturers decapping assemblys and not a single one with a .22 cal expander ball with go thru the neck of the sizing die. I have another decapping assm that takes a headed decapping pin that would likely work, but does not have a decapping ball attached. To make it work, one would have to adj the rod out thru the bottom of the die, and install the pin and ball from the bottom (I'd think that would work... Maybe? As for the decapping die, the seating stem out of a Redding .221 FB die will screw in and work. And also the stem from a Lyman P.A. seating die will work. Thus: I'd think they could be made serviceable. If one just HAD to... The die bodies are threaded 7/8 - 14. If anyone here would like to examine the dies, I'd be more than happy to forward said dies to them in the interest of science. As long as they agree to return them within a reasonable time frame... OR... If someone would like to purchase them... I'd likely sell them. Probably, cheap!

Boolit Master
    As the Easton Company progressed they changed Model 2&3 had no paint ( in the white). Also a Bit shorted In length . I think Only Model #3 ( the last) will take standard Dies. Again Info on Easton is sparse and confusing.
    > You should Contact "Antique Reloading Tool Collectors" If their still in opperation
    Sal
    AmmunitionArtifacts
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    As the Easton Company progressed they changed Model 2&3 had no paint ( in the white). Also a Bit shorted In length . I think Only Model #3 ( the last) will take standard Dies. Again Info on Easton is sparse and confusing.
    > You should Contact "Antique Reloading Tool Collectors" If their still in opperation
    Sal
    AmmunitionArtifacts
    Perhaps the #3 is the one that I had, because it accepted standard dies. This has been an interesting thread to me. Mostly because I have a unhealthy interest in old reloading equipment...