Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Two more PCP's!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Two more PCP's!!!!

Crosman had 25% off site wide and free shipping for Black Friday. I had a budget of $750 for one good pistol. After doing a bit of research and getting advice from the good folks at Gateway to Airguns, I bought two Crosman 1701P's. One for my fiancé too! Cost $308 ea with free shipping

They claim .25" groups at 10 meters. I like accurate toys.

I had a Sig Romeo 5 already and bought another one on Amazon for less than $120 plus 4 tins of pellets for $6 ea. Free shipping with Prime

Total cost of $760 for two guns, red dot and 2000 pellets. It is nice to buy American too!

Once I get them I will report back. I hope to set up a range in the basement to play on for the winter.

BTW, I like to share my experience with PCP's here instead of the air gun forums. I am new to the air gun game and cannot help much on those forums...but they have been a great resource. (Just like this is a great site for new reloaders and casters.) On this forum, I hope my journey will be valuable for people who have not got into air guns and are thinking about it. With the ongoing supply issue and cost for .22's, primers, and powder, folks who enjoy trigger time and did not stock up are in a bad place right now. Air guns can never replace "real" guns but they allow us to keep shooting inexpensively.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

dverna -Super congrats on the awesome $$$ deal you got!!! I'm sort of new to the air gun game, as you refer to it , as I have a S&W C02 pistol from the early 1970s and a couple of pump air rifles. In the recent past, and old leg injury has me almost in-ambulatory, and -- albeit vis distances, etc., it is "legal" to discharge firearms at camp, with the exception of a single shot or two during hunting season, in deference to neighbors I refrain. Hence, I reckoned it would be OK to shoot airguns at camp...picked up(to start) a Benjamin .22 Marauder Pistol, and I more than kind of got hooked! 'Specially when I discovered the great marriage of PCP airguns and my Nomad II 12V/110V compressor! Quiet, most enjoyable, fun fun fun!!!
    One of the airguns in my stable is in .20 -- and I have found quite the challenge in finding .20 pellets anywhere (except a few on e-you-know-what at prices a King would wince at!) Primers and the .22s you mention are not the only hard to find items...
    I wish to thank you for your posts/comments! Looking at your new acquisitions, the Amazon price today is @ $406.00 each!
    Again -- wowsers -- you got quite the deal!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    Geo,
    Saddened to hear about your health limitations. I know how much it sucks. I had to drop out at the Ohio State Championship one year...I could not lift my gun. It took over a year to get better, and I have not shot competitively since. Hang in there and do as best you can....the Lord sends us miracles when we least expect them! I have been blessed to be able to keep shooting even if it is only for fun....and I do love to shoot.

I will keep an eye out for .20 cal pellets for you. I believe Pyramid Air has a buy 3 get one free promotion. Would be worth checking out

Good luck...we old guys need to watch out for each other.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Both pistols arrived today.

Test target on one was one hole at 10 yards...2400 psi still in the gun

Second gun was a hair larger group...2700 psi still in the gun.

BTW, there is no rear sight on these guns. Another member on this site reminded me of that. We are putting Sig Romeo red dots on ours so not an issue.

These guns are beautiful. I cannot shoot to their capability but will report back once I get some rounds through them.
    Don Verna

Don you are beyond dipping your toes in the PCP pool. Your in over hip deep and sinking.
    Which is just fine as long as your happy.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Don you are beyond dipping your toes in the PCP pool. Your in over hip deep and sinking.
    Which is just fine as long as your happy.
    My only regret....I should have done this years ago. I will always use “real” guns when it matters, but I can shoot for less than $10/500 and kick the ass of most folks shooting .22LR’s at ranges to 50 yards with my PCP rifles.

These pistols will give me a new challenge. And I love a challenge.

I am one of those strange mutations....I do not enjoy reloading...and casting even less. Most of our brethren on this site will not understand it...lol. But I love to shoot and make little groups.

I wish we were closer and could shoot together. Would love to sit around a campfire, look at the stars, and talked about God with men like you. But it is too damn cold now anyway.

It would be neat to have OS OK and Tazman there with us. But it will not happen until we are in our Fathers house. I hope He has range up there, and all the Varget and primers we need for eternity...then I will not need to shoot these silly PCP’s to pinch pennies.

I hope you and your wife are going well. Be safe my friend.
    Don Verna

We are doing ok Don, thanks for asking. Wife has been doctoring and dentist a bit the last couple of weeks.

I have pretty much quit going to the range. No point in trading 3 cent primers for 7.5 to 12.5 cent primers.
    Even in the winter I can shoot airguns enough to keep my eye sharp. Have a short range in my basement.

And for 0.0125 cents per round vs Dime ea for primers, 2 cents of powder and another 2 of lead.
    And I don't dare shoot the powder burners inside the house. So loading of range bag, guns, driving, unloading, shooting. And at the end there I am at the range, whooped out tired and have to haul stuff and drive home before relaxing in my recliner.

Airguns rock.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Geo,
    Saddened to hear about your health limitations. I know how much it sucks. I had to drop out at the Ohio State Championship one year...I could not lift my gun. It took over a year to get better, and I have not shot competitively since. Hang in there and do as best you can....the Lord sends us miracles when we least expect them! I have been blessed to be able to keep shooting even if it is only for fun....and I do love to shoot.

I will keep an eye out for .20 cal pellets for you. I believe Pyramid Air has a buy 3 get one free promotion. Would be worth checking out

Good luck...we old guys need to watch out for each other.
    With THANKS again to you, dverna -- the Crosman you cited -- was delivered yesterday. I ordered a FP Williams rear site from Airguns of Arizona which has already shipped... and, "I'm 'psyched'"! Mine came with just a hair less than 3,000psi in it and one maybe 5/16" x .177 "line" from their five shot at 10 meter test target, WHAT A TRULY GORGEOUS PISTOL!!!!
    It is primarily "health" which got me into the airgun planet -- my bad knee went from worse to worser... and, albeit ALL fellows at ranges were more than eager/willing to both post and retrieve targets for me, plainly, "that ain't me!". On the other hand, I can still hobble 10-meters (using two canes)!
    Bion I found a shop not too far distance (~90 miles), in Gatineau, Province Quebec (Canada) which now -- at the Canada dollar worth about 78 U S cents -- almost makes his inflated price on them a wash -- he stocks quite the assortment of air gun shooting supplies from Olympic level, down to mine -- including quite a few .20 pellets. I bought three tins -- so I should be set, God willing, through 2022...
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    AHHHH...Gatineau....a very good memory of driving in the Gatineau hills with my first love. It was night and snow falling gently with nearly no wind...just beautiful...almost 50 years ago. I should never have let her go. I was such a *******. She could not outshoot me at the time, but went on to become a very accomplished pistol competitor. Smartest woman I have ever been with. A man does not forget a woman like that.
    Don Verna