WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: 32 H&R Magnum in your Henry 327 Federal Magnum

Boolit Buddy

32 H&R Magnum in your Henry 327 Federal Magnum

Looking for a carbine to go with my Ruger Bisley 32 H&R Mag and would like to hear from owners of the Henry 327 BBS rifle or carbine as to how it functions with the 32 H&R and what type of accuracy you get. My Ruger loads use the MP 314-640 115gr PB with solids dropping at 123gr and hollow points at 118gr both powder coated and sized at .315.

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    At least you got a couple of responses when you asked this over on “Wheelguns...”. I was hoping there would be a rush of responses to your query here.

I know Marlin made a few of their 1894s in 32 H&R, but AFAIK not in 327. That is such a rare beast though, the Henry looks a lot more attainable if it will fit your needs. I’m looking at it, but the combination of features I want (blued or CC receiver, straight grip stock, and 20” octagon bbl, all without shiny brass furniture) doesn’t seem to be available and they are too busy to accept special orders.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

If you are shooting the .32 H&R mag from a Ruger you should investigate the loads Brian Pearce published for that combimnation in Handloader Magazine. According to him the H&R round leaves little on the table as compared with the .327. Sort of like loading .357 Mag loads into .38 Special brass.

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/3...gnum-pet-loads

Jim

Boolit Buddy

Thanks guys.

Boolit Buddy
    Had my Henry out today. It didn't like the mild plinking rounds I did with 76gr LRN at 1000fps. With heavier bullets pushed faster it did better. Even 90gr did well. I like mine a lot. Not easy to find but if you're into the round I would get one when you can. Have heard that the .327 and 41 mag may be discontinued in the near future.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ohen cepel View Post
    Had my Henry out today. It didn't like the mild plinking rounds I did with 76gr LRN at 1000fps. With heavier bullets pushed faster it did better. Even 90gr did well. I like mine a lot. Not easy to find but if you're into the round I would get one when you can. Have heard that the .327 and 41 mag may be discontinued in the near future.
    How about more details on why you didn’t like the light loads? Inaccurate? Poor function? Poor overall performance? Or was it just not enough bang for the buck? Inquiring minds want to know!

Do you have a source you can give us for that discontinuation report? Of course, if Starline continues to make brass for these calibers, the ones of us on this forum that actually cast bullets will remain able to shoot at will (once we’ve figured out “which one’s Will?”).

I’d like to know for sure though, since I’m down to my last 400 or so 327 FM cases. Bullets/moulds are no problem, and I’m in pretty good shape on primers and powder. I’d hate to see the factories discontinue 327 ammo though, because the bean counters could say, “See, we told ya so; not enough interest!” Then they would kill off any idea of introducing or continuing production of guns in those calibers.

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry, the rifle didn't shoot the light bullets as well as the other loads. Not sure if it was the light weight or just my load though. I haven't tried to maximize any loads for the Henry, been focused more on the revolvers I have for 32mag. I will do some +p loads for the Henry soon though as I have a Star press to do 32mag but not .327.

Heavy rifle for .32mag and I think I heard the hammer noise more than the round going off in light loads. No where near the report of a .327 but that is doing about twice the speed of my 32mag loads today.

Those buckhorn sights are hard on my aging eyes so think accuracy could be improved with a better set of eyes or a scope. However, I'm not scoping it. May do a peep sight.

I think the rumor on the .327 and 41mag going away started that either they didn't appear in their catalog or dropped off the webpage at one time. Not sure if it was an oversight or what. That said, I just checked and they are on the website. So, may well be all rumor.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the update. I am using every bit of will power (or is it “won’t power?”) to resist buying one of those Henrys in 327. Not a need, but like so many of my gun purchases just a very serious want!

As for sights, how hard would it be to put a tang sight on it? While not as good as a scope obviously, it would help a lot. Does the Henry have two screws on the upper tang to mount a sight there?

Froggie

Boolit Mold
    No just one screw on the upper tang. Guess the other would have to be drill and tap.

I have had my Henry for about a year and have yet to shoot it, other priorities. I couldn't find one anywhere online or local so contacted Henry and ask who had them in stock. Henry gave me a site, went there and ordered it.

Probably make the rifle to heavy but a half octagonal barrel would at least look good.

Boolit Buddy
    Skinner makes a peep sight for it as well as their "low pro" which just uses one screw hole on the receiver. The buckhorn is good and fast but not precise in my hands.

I got the Henry 41 carbine and .327 rifle when I saw them as I really like those rounds, and as you know, rifles in them are not common. Would have preferred the shorter .327 carbine but had to buy what I could find.

Boolit Master
    I shoot both .32 H&R and .327 in several Ruger S6/S7 and a Henry .327. I find that I get better feeding if I use the NOE version of 311008 loaded long in .32 brass (1.445 OAL). This puts the crimp at the top groove. The .327 OAL is 1.475- just over the front shoulder. If I use .32 H&R brass with the 311008 any shorter there is sort of a "hitch"in feeding but it does go in with a little fiddling of the lever of the rifle.. The .32 loaded long is too long for S6 chambers but works fine in S7.
    Loren

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for that, rockshooter. Would you be willing to share your powder type and charges? I have that same bullet from an early group buy he did maybe eight or more years ago and lots of 32 H&R brass... and both of my Rugers are Blackhawks, so I’ve got plenty of cylinder length.

If you don’t want to publish charge weights, I’d love a PM. This sounds like a combo I definitely want to try!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    pm sent

Boolit Master
    I've fed S&W long wad cutters through mine!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I've fed S&W long wad cutters through mine!
    Through your what? This thread has gotten so far afield I’m getting dizzy. The Henry or the Ruger??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Through your what? This thread has gotten so far afield I’m getting dizzy. The Henry or the Ruger??
    My Henry lever action! I generally don't load the S&W longs any more, but load a full wad cuter into Fed Mag cases for my wife to practice with, and they cycle in the Henry lever action fine. As bad as I hate to admit it, my most accurate Henry load is a full house load pushing a Sierra 90gr HP bullet. I also played around with a double round ball load over a gas check.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, Thundarstick. I feel less baffled now. I’m still fantasizing about going to Henry and having a mix and match of their models, a carbine with 20” octagon barrel, straight grip stock, and all metal blues or case colored (no brass). In the revolver department, I only have one more 32/357 handgun I want to acquire or build, a 4” kit gun with adjustable sights. That will give me a 32 for any occasion a 32 would be appropriate.

I should have some interesting reports and loading and shooting various 32s this week with Dale53. Stay tuned!

Froggie