RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 30-30 or 7-30 Waters?

Boolit Buddy

30-30 or 7-30 Waters?

Guys, I have both of these calibers in Contender Carbine, and enjoy both, but in looking at stats, I really don't see a real difference in them. The only thing I see is that the 7mm bullet might travel better for long distance which I don't do. I shoot 120-150 gr bullets in both and max 100 yards. If there is a real difference I am missing please tell me. Am thinking about selling the 7-30 barrel just to reduce unneeded things. Wallacem in Ga

Boolit Master

Something that comes to mind. Why did you buy it in the first place? If that reason is no longer relevant, then do what you feel is right.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had, used and seen used a variety of .30-30's over the years. I have never been around a 7-30 Waters, but have read about it. I would like to play with one some time; but in the real world at 100 yards or less I don't think you will see any difference.

Maybe a slight edge to the .30-30, because of diameter.

Where I think the 7-30 Waters would be better is at the extreme range of the rounds-- like slightly over 200 yards. In a single shot, you aren't limited by the near unobtinium of jacketed FN projectiles like the lever action guys are.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I shot my bear this year with a 7mm-08 jacketed bullet. The range was 185 yards. Rifle was zeroed at 200 yards. This is the type of scenario where the 7-30 Waters excels over the 30-30. Flat shooting with higher energy retention at longer ranges. Slightly less velocity than the 7mm-08 but still very capable out to 300 yards on deer sized game with good quality 120 grain jacketed bullets.

With cast bullets at ranges under 100 yards the 30-30 is perfectly capable.

I think that you should sell the 7-30 Waters barrel. There is someone out there hunting in areas that offer much longer shot opportunities and would be able to better utilize this barrel in 7-30.

Boolit Master

A lot of mental masturbation goes on in this hobby when it comes to the issues of Cartridge A vs Cartridge B, when there are so many that are so close to being exactly the same thing.

When I look at all the military cartridges conceived from about 1890 to 1950, and consider them in either their intended role or for sporting purposes, I think "We could have just standardized the entire world on a hot M98-rated 7x57 and saved everyone a lot of trouble".

Anymore, I'm a lot more interested in ease of finding or loading than an inch less drop. .30-30 gets my vote.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I can’t honestly answer the question; I also own both- 30-30 in contender and win 94 and 7-30 in contender and love them both. The 7-30 may have a slight advantage in range over 250 yards . I do know that with the Lee soup can 130 boolit over 10 grains unique is a dynamite woodchuck /raccoon/coyote round around the barns and equipment.
    Longed for years and years for a 7-30 , now that I have it I’m pleased with it but not enough to get rid of 30-30.

Moderator Emeritus

Will you ever travel to hunt? The 120 gr in the 7-30 @nearly 2800 fps is a great antelope cartridge. If I were ever down to one rifle carbine in the contender I would keep the 7-30. Where I live, 100 yards is pistol range.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze