Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: 1911 gi bollits

Boolit Bub

1911 gi bollits

I have been searching the internet this afternoon trying to find a blue print of a 1911 cartridge projectile plus print, I know it exist because I looked it up before I however failed to save it.

Anyway my idea for discussion is this, a 6-8 cavity mold that is identical to the original Gi 230grain bullet profile. A solid version could be offered as well as a Hollow point version.

I think a version with lube groves is appropriate as well as a powder coated version with no groves.

What do you all think?

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

That design is more than likely already available from a few of the custom mould makers.
    NOE and Miha would be a good place to check out. Either one offers multiple cavity moulds.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Bub
    This is just a thought, I maybe the only one that thinks having a lead bullet you can load to an actual specific over all length and not have to worry whether it will function in different pistols is cool.

I have had 1911s and other 45 acp autos where loads did not jive. Mainly lee 230 gr round nose.

I have shot a great deal of military surplus winchester 45 acp in eaa,colt,kimber, Springfield 45 autos and have not had any issues.

I will indeed reach out to the mentioned mold builders and see what they have.

Boolit Buddy
    NOE did a group buy some years ago to duplicate the H&G #34, which is a clone of the 230grain FMJ bullet. Here’s the link to it in the NOE catalogue.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...vity-pb-hg-34/
    Last edited by ChuckS1; 12-20-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by COUSIN DANIEL View Post
    This is just a thought, I maybe the only one that thinks having a lead bullet you can load to an actual specific over all length and not have to worry whether it will function in different pistols is cool.

I have had 1911s and other 45 acp autos where loads did not jive. Mainly lee 230 gr round nose.
    The problem isn't with the mold or the boolit at all. You can quit pointing the finger of blame at Lee. The problem is that the barrel doesn't have any or enough freebore, or the freebore that is there is too small in diameter to chamber a .452" boolit.

This problem is not experienced with just Springfield Armory, ALL of the modern manufactured 45ACP 1911 style autos are made with JUST enough angle on the leade ins to the rifling to chamber a typical factory round. I have not yet seen even ONE example of a factory made barrel that is properly throated, out of the box, from the factory, for shooting .452" diameter cast boolits.

The barrel on the left is a stock Springfield RO barrel, as you would guess yes it is very finicky with any boolit that isn't seated deep enough in the case to avoid interference with the rifling. The same barrel on the right after throating, runs like a Singer sewing machine, and will happily gobble up ANY style of boolit that will cycle through the magazine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Springfield RO Barrel Throating 800.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	717.5 KB 
ID:	293344
    Last edited by DougGuy; 12-20-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    We have used the Lyman 452374, checked and unchecked for eons, and you can barely tell the difference in FMJ loads. If one would copper plate it, it would be dang hard to tell apart. Hard to improve on this mould.

Boolit Master

Miha made a 230 RN with pins for round and hex has.
    Just cast some the other day. Check his web site, probably has some in stock.