WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seeking advice for casting and loading

Boolit Grand Master

If you are going to get into casting ...be sure and get a couple Lyman Manuals .
    The Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook has both Jacketed and cast info in it and the first 118 pages are a wealth of general knowledge .
    The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition covers just cast boolits and a must have for the cast reloader and the first 96 pages are a wealth of cast boolit knowledge .

Between these two books you can learn a lot about reloading and casting .
    My other two reference manuals are the Hornady and Speer Manual ...
    Between these 4 manuals you can teach yourself to reload & cast boolits and find data for most any cartridge that isn't too obsolete .
    These manuals were what I used to teach myself back in the mid-60's ...in the days BC (Before Computers) .
    Load Safe
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Buck has not been back since 12/2/21 at 1:15 AM. He may be way too busy or he may have lost interest.

I hope it is merely “way too busy.” I know everyone here means well and wants everyone to start on the right path. However, I characterize this approach as “get a bachelor degree in ammo manufacturing techniques before having any fun.”

I have a different approach which I believe is more productive. It is read an illustrated thread or two and then ask some questions. Then find someone to coach by doing it under instruction with their equipment. The “get a bachelor degree in ammo manufacturing techniques can then come after some fun while having fun.”

I have many years in the classroom as a student and years in the classroom as a technical instructor. I have attended formal training to become an instructor twice where the theory of learning is taught. I have even been known read books on teaching. Most people learn “how to” very poorly from reading. I forget the exact percentage reported, but I suspect it is less than five percent. Virtually everyone learns well from “hands on” training.

So let’s go with the best! Let’s get their interest with a “Show and Tell” thread. Let’s expand on their interest and knowledge with live training where possible while demonstrating safety. Let’s show them ways to find available tooling and supplies rather than tell them they must buy a big kit which might not even be available. Let’s also skip the read two to four books before even considering starting.

Now I really hope I haven’t stirred up a hornet’s nest!

Boolit Master

Does anybody have contact info for Buck Thompson?