RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 44 amp long ?

Boolit Master

44 amp long ?

A friend that I hunt with stopped over to pick up the coyote I killed tonight
    He is going to skin , flesh and stretch the hide
    As he is a lot better and faster than I am and he has the right stretchers

But we got to talking about Ohio Gun Deer hunting and other topics

Well he found a 44 AMP case at the range a few days ago
    It had been laying around the range for years IMO
    I had never seen that case , so he showed it to me as we talked
    But I came up with a idea
    So to check , I looked it up and I was right

You can make the 44 AMP cases from 308 Winchester brass with a fair amount of work

But I had a idea and he liked it

Make it a rifle round
    Not limited in OAL length to fit in a pistol
    But make a round to fit in a rifle , bolt action or Semi Auto like a AR10

That would allow a 2.8" OAL ( about ) rifle round
    It would be legal to hunt deer here in Ohio
    Lots of 308 Winchester , 7.62 x 51 and other cases that you could use to convert
    As we need to use a straight walled or slightly tapered case
    A bottle neck isn't allowed

Then I could load a Lee 310 44 Mag cast bullet or some other proper bullet
    In a case , to end up with a 2.8" OAL round ( or close to get proper feeding )
    This would be longer than the 444 Marlin and allow loading to higher pressures if you wanted to ( safely )

I would like a AR10 upper in this round
    As it would allow me to switch uppers and hunt deer using brass and bullets I already have

To many other projects going on right now
    But it would be a nice round to add

What are your thoughts ?

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

There is a 444 Marlin Rimless. I've done a similar wildcat 44x1.8" to meet the 1.8" case restriction here in Michigans Limited Zone. I used 30-06 cases because they make nicer finished cartridges. So far I've put it in a 1891 Mauser, LR308 pattern AR10, and AR15 using a 22-250 bolt and extension. Up to 270gr bullets out of a 16" barrel I can match book loads for my 21.5" 444 Marlin by running higher pressures. The 310gr Lee doesn't feed particularly well out of the AR10 but does ok out of the AR15. Your chamber reamer needs to cut a case mouth step for the cartridge to headspace on and use a gentle taper crimp against the shank dia of the bullet and not a roll crimp into the cannelure. The 265FN hornadys feed great out of the AR10 as do the 265ftx, but the ftx are slower since they're longer and I load everything to fit into the

Here's one of the threads on it. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...(44x1-8-quot-)

Pics, 1891, AR10, AR15, 265FTX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0702.JPG   44BGM-Hybrid.jpg   44x1.8AR15barrel7.jpg   AR10-44mag3.JPG  

Boolit Grand Master

Not that long ago I was thinking of a different solution, from different circumstances. I was trying to make a long range "slug gun", a 410 slug being legal to hunt with in the southern Minnesota shotgun zone. I was going to take a 9.3x74R case, form it, and run it as a 410 brass case, loaded with a 44 caliber bullet. Unfortunately in that case I went no farther because I never could get an answer from a single person with the MN DNR if a shotgun is defined by the chamber, or what. I was going to have it chambered for 410, I could have safely fired any 410 shotgun shell in that gun, I was simply going to be shooting brass cased ammo with a 44 caliber bullet in it, along with a matching throat and rifling for such a bullet.

After thinking about it, I'm glad I didn't build it.. I think the solution is far easier to simply change the stupid laws so we don't have to skirt them. I'm not saying a 44 auto maximum (made up name) in an AR 10 wouldn't be cool, but the 45 raptor already exists and seems a better way to go to me.

Boolit Master
    That case is for the Automag pistol in 44 mag. You need to ream the mouth of the formed case to fit the 44 bullets.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just build a 45 Raptor. Case, IIRC, is 1.8" long. Make from 308 or just buy brass from Starline. Just think of a rimless 460 S&W. I think you can use 460 S&W dies and load data.

Heck, if you want the 44 automag, I think Starline also makes brass for it also. Dies might be a bit harder to come by though, as compared to 460 S&W

Boolit Grand Master

Wildcats ... they get you all fired up and excited ...Do IT !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"