Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice for casting and loading

Now that you opened the can of worms... Here is a thread about casting for 7.62x25: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-62x25-Tokerev
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I will echo the advice above and STRONGLY suggest reloading to start with. If you do not like reloading, casting is a next to useless skill to have.

>>>SNIP
    I think this is the best advice you got so far.

While Lyman's castbullet handbook 4th Ed is an excellent reloading manual for cast boolits, You don't need it yet. Just look for a good reloading manual, I do prefer the ones put out by Lyman (they are currently at the 50th edition, I believe)...but if you come across any of the older ones, they will do just fine...But there are a ton of other ones, put up by equipment manufacturers as well as bullet manufacturers.

Also, keep reading here on castboolits...lots of info here.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I'd recommend: https://www.starlinebrass.com/762x25-tokarev-brass

For starters, this is the easiest brass to load. It's also the premium handgun brass available.

Read the manuals but, collect the components to start reloading. Yes, I have Lyman books, RCBS equipment like the guys say. Never had an "ammo shortage " yet. I have 3 9mms, 41 mag, and 45 Colt. You get the idea.

Gather your cases, primers, powder and bullets. It's quite the mail order adventure in some respects.

Good Luck,
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Moderator Emeritus

Post your location and see if someone is close enough to act as a mentor.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

good evening Buck. welcome to the best web site on the big inner web. Gee, I've looked at the great responses to your initial post, and they are all good. so I won't say any more since I'd just be repeating what has been said. I wish you the best of success in this great hobby.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    First off welcome! Were do I start? I would definitely get a reloading manual first. Lyman 50th is the latest I believe. It pretty much covers the basics. I would also recommend the latest Lee manual. The Lyman is great but it tend to be specific as to why certain jacketed bullet and the limited data it has on Cast Boolets. I recommend the lead manual to new reloaders because it’s more generic in that it’ll give you low data for 124 grain jacketed bullet or 125 grain lead round nose bullet where it’s not specifically calling out a manufacturer or in the case of Cast Boolets a specific bullet cast from a specific mold. I hope that makes sense I did my mind but you never know when you write it out. I would not depend on low data that you get off the Internet. Do you know the old saying it must be true I read it on the Internet. As others have suggested I would start out loading for jacketed bullets and or store-bought lead bullets to see whether or not you’re going to enjoy it before you invest a lot of money. I have no idea what kind of budget you have soda recommend a specific brand it’s kind a hard to do when you don’t have an idea how much money someone wants to spend. You are fine people have their own specific likes and dislikes as to whether or not our CBS is good or Lyman is good or Dylan is good or Lee is good. It’s kind of like what kind of cars do you like Chevys or Fords. It’s pretty much a personal preference. I will tell you that for someone starting out there is nothing wrong with Lee presses and dies. And they tend to be quite a bit less expensive than other brands. They are CBS rock chucker is a great press and you can do just about anything on it. However you can probably get set up with a Lee press,dies for one caliber, a scale, maybe even a powder measure For less then in RCBS rock chucker costs by itself. And for someone that’s anonymous and just starting out I don’t recommend turret presses or progressive presses. Start out with a single stage press. There’s a lot of things that can go wrong in the reloading process until you’re comfortable with the process. I strongly recommend against using terret presses or progressive presses. Learn the process step by step. You kind a need to learn to walk before you can run that’s my opinion. Do lots of reading and ask questions here on the forum. This forum has a plethora of well experienced and knowledgeable reloaders that are willing to share with someone just starting out. Hopefully some of what I posted here will be helpful to you. In closing I just like to say three things to you. Good luck. Have fun. And above all else be safe.
    I second this!!!

Boolit Master
    This is what I bought ...... twice.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023389781?pid=345426
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of good advice here.
    I have been casting and reloading for over 40 years and have only blown up 2 guns in all those years.
    SAFETY AND PAYING ATTENTION IS PARAMOUNT!
    Read up on casting and read up on reloading. YouTube videos abound.
    Start with a single stage press. Buy a used RCBS Rock Chucker.
    Start reloading ONLY. Casting can wait until you master reloading. That will take you a while. Start with all jacketed bullets until you get the hang of reloading. THEN buy cast lead and see if you like loading lead bullets.
    If you cast you will suddenly discover that you can load for a lot less money, which means you load more which means you shoot more which means you cast more, which means you load more......etc. etc.
    The you discover that you want to cast for all your guns. So you get more moulds. Then you need reloading dies of course.
    Then productivity gets to be more important. So you get a Star Sizer.
    Because you are now shooting more, now you need to load more. A single stage might get you 50 an hour if you are lucky.
    You spring for a Dillon 550 progressive press that can put out 400 per hour at a leisurely pace.....remember that safety and attention thing.
    Then you start being a brass and lead scrounger.
    Casting forces you to learn about the metallurgy of lead. You get so desperate for lead that you start mining the berm at your local range.
    Are you SURE you want to do this?
    I would say absolutely do it. It is a great hobby.
    It has become a way for me to relax and do something very productive. My other half calls it "man knitting".
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 11-30-2021 at 10:17 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the advice! I have a better idea of where to start now. So casting will have to wait, and I’ll get some books and a reloading kit to start out. Does anyone have advice regarding brand or specific kit? I was think of a Lee single stage kit because it was affordable, but I saw several posts mentioning the Rock Chucker kit. Is it better to get one over the other? Or should I avoid kits entirely and piece everything together myself?

Also, thanks to all the people that mentioned Tokarev casting and books for casting. I’m bookmarking a lot of info so I can reference it in the future if reloading goes well.

Edit: I’ve also added my location!
    Last edited by Buck Thompson; 12-02-2021 at 02:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    Ok, so you are new to reloading & all. LOTS of good advice in these 2 pages.
    There's a saying; "Buy once,, cry once." If you are trying to be frugal,, then hunt for the Rockchucker and other things on the used market. You can save money if you shop around & all. BUT,, you can also do good by getting a"kit" to get started,, as it'll have much of the stuff you need.
    I've been handloading since the mid 1970's,, and I still have my first Rockchucker press,,, and several die sets from back then. While Lee is good,, overall,, you'll find the RCBS Rockchucker will outlast you AND retain value better.
    And reloading books are a NECESSITY!

Basic necessities;
    2-3 GOOD reloading manuals
    Press,
    Dies w/ shellholder (Carbide if possible,)
    scales,
    powder measure
    Loading tray
    PATIENCE!

Once you get comfortable reloading,, and such,,,, then you can start acquiring the stuff necessary to start casting to start another level of enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post

Basic necessities;
    2-3 GOOD reloading manuals
    Press,
    Dies w/ shellholder (Carbide if possible,)
    scales,
    powder measure
    Loading tray
    PATIENCE!
    You failed to mention one other thing that is needed and that is a good dose of common sense. Think about what you are doing while you are doing it.

Other things that you need to know and don't have to buy:
    If you smoke don't while doing any of the reloading procedures that involve gun powder or lead and don't get distracted. Tell the wife and kids that you are reloading and not to disturb you. TURN OFF YOUR PHONE. Distractions can cause squibs and double charges.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Distractions can cause squibs and double charges.
    It is easy to do. Both guns I blew up were double charged 9mm.
    How?
    They turned out to be military cases and the primer wouldn't seat properly.
    Rather than clear the press, i absent mindedly yanked the military case from station 1 (Dillon 550) and just replaced it with a new case.
    Station 2 got another charge.
    BOOM! The 3914 bent the slide out and totaled the gun.
    The S&W 76 was built like a tank and only blew the face of the bolt off.
    Now, if ANYTHING goes wrong, I clear the press before fixing it.
    Being safe and always paying attention is rule #1!!!!!!!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

When I started buying reloading equipment my first press was a used RCBS Jr. 2 which I still have. It’s adequate for most reloading tasks. Later I got a Rock Chucker and it’s my primary single stage press. If I had to start over I would most likely get the Lee Classic Cast because of its spent primer handling. Any of the above, used or new, will serve you well.

Look at the currently available Rock Chucker kit for ideas for the rest of the early hardware needs.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Start with a kit . Get the best you can afford but don't break the bank ... as you gain experience you upgrade the things you feel are lacking .
    Most of us started out with Lee Classic Loader ( Whack-A-Mole) kit ... the hammering gets old .
    There is nothing wrong with Lee Equiptment , it's affordable and will get the job done .
    If you don't have a place to mount a press ... the Lee Hand Press or better yet the Buchanan Hand Press , made and sold by a fellow member , www.buchananprecisionmachine.com , are wonderful for loading sans hammer and bench mounted press .
    A lot of my "stuff" came from Lee and there is only one item I'm not crazy about ... their new hand priming tool with the folding tray .

I do all my handgun and 30-30 rifle with a Hand Press ... a Lee Hand Press Kit , set of dies and a powder scale (balance beam is my preference) and you have all the tools . A powder measure can come later ... I still scoop a lot of charges with a powder scoop ...easier to do .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 12-03-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I saved a lot of money buying good used reloading equipment on this forum and few others.
    Used presses at a cost savings you can’t go wrong.
    Hand tools and cartridge prep stuff mostly used again good savings.
    As far as tumbler and brass cleaning equipment you can clean in a bucket with dish soap and lemi- shine or find a used or cheep harbor freight tumbler for brass cleaning, lots of guys wet to wet tumble and sell off their vibrating tumblers cheep.

Good luck, be safe and NEVER RUSH when reloading !!

Mike

Boolit Master
    You are on the right track going to handloading first, then go to casting second.

A good single stage press is the foundation to start with.

If you can score a good price on a starter kit with a RCBS Rock Chucker, that’s great, but pieces here and there is good so long as you get a good deal.

I like the Classic Cast series of presses that Lee now produce as well.

If you go with a kit I would go RCBS or Hornady due to their scales and powder measures.

Separately, the Lee Classic Cast does a better job with spent primers. Then go RCBS Uniflow for a measure.

Scale wise I like mechanical better than electronic. If you can score one, the RCBS 510 or 1010 are held in high regard. I have both but then fell into the grand RCBS 304 dial a grain, color me a snob!

Case trimmers are many, I like the Lyman Universal with a carbide cutter. My varmint rounds get the Wilson trimmer for their final run.

The CZ 52 and the 7.62 x 25mm is not the easiest critter to start with but not truly difficult. They give you great exercise chasing cases. The Wolf extra power spring tamed my pistol down some in that regard.

A big welcome to “Boolits”

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    It is easy to do. Both guns I blew up were double charged 9mm.
    How?
    They turned out to be military cases and the primer wouldn't seat properly.
    Rather than clear the press, i absent mindedly yanked the military case from station 1 (Dillon 550) and just replaced it with a new case.
    Station 2 got another charge.
    BOOM! The 3914 bent the slide out and totaled the gun.
    The S&W 76 was built like a tank and only blew the face of the bolt off.
    Now, if ANYTHING goes wrong, I clear the press before fixing it.
    Being safe and always paying attention is rule #1!!!!!!!
    Best advice ever given for those with progressive presses.
    Clear the press.

Boolit Master

Read this section of the forum and you might find some really good ideas:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...-Helping-Hands

Boolit Master

Start with this thread and then go to page one of Helping Hands:
    Or you could read a few more of Cag's StudentoftheBoolit threads for a quick overview of the new guy learning procedure and then on to Helping Hands page one.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...lit&highlight=

You'll have to copy and paste this link as it doesn't automatically highlight as a link. Never mind. The link does work!

Boolit Master
    I was remiss in my earlier post!

The very first step is to acquire and read a collection of reloading manuals!

Safety first!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast