RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: SW 500 help w/ranger rick's 600gr dbl crimp fp

Boolit Mold

SW 500 help w/ranger rick's 600gr dbl crimp fp

Greetings
    I have this boolit from Matt's Bullets. It's a FPGC with two crimp positions. I have the 6.5" 500. I have most of the powders discussed less the vihtori family.
    I would be grateful for bottom and mid loads for this projectile.

Thank You,

Steve

Steve,

I'm currently working up a load for this bullet for the Big Horn Armory Model 89. Since I'm focused on feeding in a lever action, I'm going with the uppermost crimp groove. I also have a 500 S&W revolver, and in general, when working up loads for the revolver using 2-crimp-groove bullets, I try to go with the lower crimp groove. Provided that the bullet does not protrude beyond the cylinder face, that generally gives more powder room under the bullet, leading to higher velocities at lower pressures.

Once I've demonstrated that I have a decent load in the rifle, without mishaps, I will share that data. Presently, I have loaded rounds using H110/W296 at just below 100% fill ratio. With that, you will at least know a safe starting range for using the lower crimp groove.

I was able to get to the range today to give this bullet a field test in my BHA Model 89. A word of caution on this one . . . QuickLoad is way off on pressure prediction, and I hit a pressure wall well before I would have anticipated using that data. Because I'm having to ensure feed in a lever action, I had to go with the upper crimp groove, deeper seating depth, and a shorter COAL. My lowest load was 24.5 grains of W296, which gave a muzzle velocity of 1,298 fps from the 18-inch barrel. Stout recoil and good accuracy, at least using iron sights on the 25-yard range. The primer showed some flattening but some of the edge radius was maintained. When I increased the load a mere 0.3 grains, to 24.8 grains W296, I began to get cratering of the primers. When I load these again, I'm going to adjust to a rounded off 24.0gr, as the load density for W296/H110 should still be greater than 90% and the ME is still likely to be in excess of 2,000 ft. lbs.

Since you're loading in revolver, you can drop to the lower crimp groove and manage lower pressures.

None of this is of course, loading recommendations. Just my short experience with this bullet. If anyone has been able to load this bullet into a BHA Model 89 using the lower crimp groove, please let me know. I didn't feel like disassembling my rifle again.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by spallmaker View Post
    Greetings
    I have this boolit from Matt's Bullets. It's a FPGC with two crimp positions. I have the 6.5" 500. I have most of the powders discussed less the vihtori family.
    I would be grateful for bottom and mid loads for this projectile.

Thank You,

Steve
    Welcome to the forum.
    I suggest getting the Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th Ed.
    plenty of data in there.

I'd probably start with 12 gr of Unique and work it up until I felt happy with the load.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Thank You for the input. I received an email regarding your post here on Cast Boolits...Thanks.

I have been busy with projects and have not been on the forum in a while.
    I have not fired the 600gr double crimp yet but I expect I'll start with the low dose unique in the bottom groove.