Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Quality and strength of Heritage .45 Colt revolvers?

Quality and strength of Heritage .45 Colt revolvers?

Just wondered how the quality is with these and strength. I know they are probably not o. S par with s Ruger Blackhawk but, just thought I'd ask. Thanks
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Banned
    they are to be considered as STANDARD colt SAA revolvers, as manufactured by the Colt factory after the introduction of the 357 magnum cartridge.

As a result only use STANDARD book loadings. I thought about one, but their customer service department kept screwing around with answering simple questions.

Run away. I suppose strength is up to standard but their quality is pretty poor. You will not be happy if looking at long term ownership.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    These guns are assembled from parts imported from Italy.
    As parts they are not tested like fully assembled guns imported.

Ya pay your money and take your chances.

Ok, I see that these are pretty much Colt clones, and shouldn't be used with anything other than standard loads. Thanks
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    These guns are assembled from parts imported from Italy.
    As parts they are not tested like fully assembled guns imported.

Ya pay your money and take your chances.
    Yet ironically you have no issue with buying an assembled SAA clone from italy under the dubious name of pietta or Uberti?

Boolit Master

Well having had a heritage 22 pistol I would shy away from anything they make , just my experience , as to a Uberti or Pietta they have been making them for quite a number of years and owning them as I do I like them , also as was pointed out the Italian ones are proof tested , firearms over here are not .

Banned

I’d stay away from Heritage center fire revolvers…….PERIOD!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    Yet ironically you have no issue with buying an assembled SAA clone from italy under the dubious name of pietta or Uberti?
    Do you have any issues with Cimarron Arms?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Pietta and Uberti revolvers are proofed in accordance with CIP which is a more stringent standard than SAAMI.
    Their quality of fit and workmanship is fully equal to my pre-WW1 Colt SAs.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Pietta and Uberti revolvers are proofed in accordance with CIP which is a more stringent standard than SAAMI.
    Their quality of fit and workmanship is fully equal to my pre-WW1 Colt SAs.
    pietta makes most of teh components for heritage, including cylinders.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    True, but the Heritage assemblers should stick to cap pistols and lawn mowers.

The parts are not interchangeable, but must be fitted. The Italians in Brecia have a long tradition of this and the quality has improved immensely since cowboy action shooting became popular in Europe. I have shot cowboy matches in Italy with Alessandro Pietta,have toured his factory and done engineering consulting for them.

World of difference.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    True, but the Heritage assemblers should stick to cap pistols and lawn mowers.
    I had driven to a fairly distant shop a couple-three years ago to view a SAA which (my luck ) was sold the afternoon before, so I had cash in my pocket and dealer had a display case holding many handguns. I inquired about a beat-up-looking .22 revolver sort of resembling an old H&R... It turned out to be a brand new Heritage. I did hold it for a few seconds or so and to me -- by no means an 'elite' gun owner -- it resembled pure junk! The shop owner warned me to be careful as front edge of cylinder was razor sharp. Maybe (?) it was a "late Friday afternoon" product.. but if their central fire products are manufactured similarly -- I'd sure save my pennies for a different manufactured revolver.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    The guns are proofed after they are built in the factory.
    The parts sold to Heritage are not proof tested since they are not completed guns.

Boolit Master

Not to change the topic but,
    What’s the consensus on the Heritage 22 LR SA revolvers everyone is selling for $150.00? I’ve been thinking about learning to fast draw and twirl a revolver. Figured for that price I would lose much if I drop it a few times.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    What’s the consensus on the Heritage 22 LR SA revolvers everyone is selling for $150.00? I’ve been thinking about learning to fast draw and twirl a revolver. Figured for that price I would lose much if I drop it a few times.
    I bought a heritage 22 a few years ago for $99.00 on a Black Friday deal from dicks before they went anti ar. I got the 22 mag cylinder for $25.00 from heritage with a coupon that came with the gun. At that price it does what I want it to do, but Ruger now makes the wrangler! It’s about $150.00 to $200.00 all day long by me. Much nicer gun! If I was looking to purchase another inexpensive single action 22 now, it would definitely be the Ruger wrangler. Basically it’s a cast copy of their convertible six That I can’t find around here for 500 bucks used! If your interested send me a pm and I’ll send ya a link to a gun shop I’ve Dealt with that the last I checked had one that the price was 150.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

I've handled 2 Heritage .22 caliber SA Revolvers. I'd take one if You gave it to Me.
    Sell it off straightaway.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Ruger Wrangler is a waaayyyy better gun for not much more money. Not to mention it has a transfer bar so you don't have to worry about using the manual safety or keeping an empty chamber under the hammer.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    If I was looking to purchase another inexpensive single action 22 now, it would definitely be the Ruger wrangler. Basically it’s a cast copy of their convertible six
    I must disagree. The Ruger Wrangler is NOT the same. The cylinder on the Wrangler can lock up if one doesn't hold their mouth just right while cocking it. The Single-Six NEVER had that problem.

I would take a Heritage over TWO Ruger Wranglers. But I would take a Single-Six over either.
    Last edited by bowfin; 12-03-2021 at 05:26 PM.