RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Long shot, tracking down old newspaper article, Arlington, Va.

Long shot, tracking down old newspaper article, Arlington, Va.

I have a request for anybody familiar with the Arlington, Virginia area. My Grandad lived there from the 30's to the late 60's, working for the U.S. Government. In the early 60's, I wrote him a letter about how the boys in our school went on a mountain lion hunt one saturday in mid-winter. The adult organizers and supervisors were Mr. Peterson, the 5th-8th teacher of our really remote rural NW Montana school and my Dad. Mr. Peterson had a hound dog and Dad had a six-shooter. The event was a big deal for me and the other boys. My grandad took the letter down to someone he knew at the paper and it was printed in a Sunday edition in the "Sports' section. We received a copy but it didn't survive the moves over the years and my folks have been passed for many years now.
    So what I am looking for is the names of Arlington newspapers in hopes I can find an archived edition and get a copy of that letter. I have no real knowledge of the area or city of Arlington. My grandad was a fairly high-level Federal employee, old school southern Democrat if that helps guess which paper he would have taken.
    Any help is appreciated, thanks
    Dennis

Boolit Master
    You might do a search here,
    https://arlington.newspaperarchive.com/
    be advised though, that if you find a 'hit' you'll be prompted to subscribe. There may be a way around that if the 'hit' gives you a date and the newspapers name. Just what that way around will have to be worked out by you, but at least you'll have some hint of what you're looking for.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

thanks Czech_too,
    I got excited, then figured out that is Arlington Ia. instead of Va. Oh well, I will find it eventually.
    By the way, my wife is .5Czech

Boolit Master
    Local libraries around here archived the old newspapers online, back to the 1700s. You can access them for free.

I don't know the local Arlington papers. But in the time frame you are talking there were three major rags in D. C. There was the Washington Post, still in business, The Daily New which was later absorbed by the Washington Star which went out of business in the early 80's. As far as the small local papers, there were probably dozens.

Unless you know the name of the paper or the article your search will be very hard.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Not familiar with Arlington, but try the library there - in those days, the papers were often put on microfilm and they may be able to help you out as far as the names of the papers and possibly put you in contact with someone sho could do a search of the microfilmed papers if they exist.

I hope you can locate a copy and you do, I hope you'll share it here. Would love to read it as I'm sure it was a great adventure for all of you. Good luck!

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys. And the encouragement.

Battis and Bedbugbilly, I think the library tip is great, I never even thought about that.

Skeettx, thanks for all the tips, especially the Library of Congress. I will work that angle also.

Sasquatch-1, thanks for those names, and yes, I know this will not be easy. But all the help from you guys is a great encouragement.

Bedbugbilly, Gee, I never thought someone across the country would be interested, I am working on
    reminisces of growing up in a valley later flooded by construction of the Libby Dam on the Kootenai river.

Thanks again all,
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by kootne View Post

Bedbugbilly, Gee, I never thought someone across the country would be interested, I am working on
    reminisces of growing up in a valley later flooded by construction of the Libby Dam on the Kootenai river.
    For a lot of us old coots, it would be like reading an old Boys' Life Magazine.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.