MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Machine casting long rifle boolits

Boolit Buddy

Machine casting long rifle boolits

Anyone tried this? It's my opinion that long narrow boolits are harder to cast on a machine than fatter and shorter boolits. In other words rifle boolits should be harder to fillout than handgun boolits.

I'm thinking of trying 22s and 30 kal.....

Edit: I'm very interested in experiences with casting rifle boolits on Magma Bullet Masters.
    Last edited by hunter74; 11-24-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

I cast a 215 grain 300 blackout using the magma bullet masters. We had more problems getting the sizing machine setup so the bullet would not get bent than we did with the actual casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhopson View Post
    I cast a 215 grain 300 blackout using the magma bullet masters. We had more problems getting the sizing machine setup so the bullet would not get bent than we did with the actual casting.

Did you use double or single cavity moulds? What was the solution of the sizing problems? Did you coat the boolits?

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    Did you use double or single cavity moulds? What was the solution of the sizing problems? Did you coat the boolits?

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk
    Double cavity molds. Ended up slowing down the sizing machine and adapting the drop tube section to handle the longer bullets. The plunger has to hit the bullets almost exactly when the bullet is over the sizing die so that there is no side to side movement of the slide bar. Plus I had to have a bullet feeder plate built just for the bullets so that they would go nose down. The reason for the nose down setup is the bullet automatically starts into the sizing die before the plunger begins to push on it. We use Hitek coating.

John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.